Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Humilin N vs Novalon N & Reli On (WalMart)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humilin N vs Novalon N & Reli On (WalMart)

Hi All,

I am new to the k9diabetes forum. I have an 8 year old border collie/Australian shepherd mix who was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in November. She has been on Humilin N and her regulation has been ok. She just had a gluecose curve a couple of weeks ago and she's flat in the upper 200s. The vet said the range for "normal" varies greatly for diabetic dogs and she is on the high end of normal so we upped her dose from 10u to 11u 2x/day on the Humilin N.

Anyway, our presription refills ran out, so the vet wrote out a prescription for an NPH insulin, not specifying brand, as I expressed interest in price shopping NPH insulins due to the high cost of Humilin N. In researching this switch (primarily via older posts on this website and articles that are 4 years old or older), I am beginning to question switching brands even though it may be cheaper.

Has anyone recently switched their dog from Humilin N to Novalon N? Or to Reli On (the WalMart brand)? What was your experience? Any recommendations if making the switch? I have also concord my vet for her guidance.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Humilin N vs Novalon N & Reli On (WalMart)

Welcome to the forum.

First, the Walmart ReliOn branded insulin IS Novolin-N. Just like Novolin-N from other pharmacies, but at 1/5th the cost. Walmart just adds a near microscopic "ReliOn" lable to the box.

Several years ago, the ReliOn branded insulin was Humulin-N. Guessing they give a contract to either Novo Nordisk for Novolin, or to Lily for Humulin depending on their cost.

I've made the switch from Novolin-N to Humulin-N and back to Novolin-N whenever Walmart switched their provider. I didn't see any difference in my dog.

Craig
    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

well if price isn't really a problem than it doesnt matter what NPH you use .the 2 we have in the states seem work well but if price affects your way of life or limits care for your pup then there is no reason to struggle with paying a higher price for relatively the same type of insulin

as craig suggested my jesse switched from novolin to humulin and back to novolin with walmarts change in contracts
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Maggie was on both and the differences are only very subtle probably due to what is added to it to keep it fresh. I preferred Novolin to Humulin - the vial stayed fresher longer and the insulin seemed to stay active a slight bit lower longer. But, I would have stayed on whichever insulin WalMart contracted with.
        Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

(Sorry, I wrote before I read) I searched your site and realized the order was for Novolin..Not Humulin..I also read the commentary on Lantus use in dogs. I really liked Lantus in our cat who went into remission after switching from NPH to Lantus and has been good for over 1 year now. I found recent study claiming its use in dogs was indicated... but will follow the guidelines (for now) and use the Novolin).. Hello..I do not mean to get off topic..However, when we started the
          cat" on NPH it cost 20.00 at Walmart January 1, 2016.We switched to Lantus and Elliott was in remission within 4 months. NOW, one of my dogs (diagnosed DM) will come home today and NPH is ordered to be picked up at Walmart. I looked up under Good RX and see prices over $160.00. Of course, we will comply. Does anyone use Lantus on dogs? Thanks, Fran
          Last edited by bichons9; 08-03-2017, 08:31 AM.
          Squeaker, 15yo, 8.4 lbs, chihuahua, diagnosed 4/26/2021. Diabetes Mellitus 1 +Adrenal Dependent Cushings.
          https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...wD4/edit#gid=0

Comment

I'm in Canada, but that $160 seems wrong for a vial of insulin. Humulin N is $30 here, and others post prices for NPH in the states and it's cheaper than $160 I believe.
            Lantus is not a good insulin because it doesn't deal with spikes after eating soon enough and because it doesn't peak and then drop off, it may be too active when the dog's food has all left his system.
            I'm sure all the research done would have identified Lantus as a good choice

Lantus is usually used with a fast acting insulin. It's what I use for my diabetes.
            Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Originally posted by bichons9 View Post
              I looked up under Good RX and see prices over $160.00. Of course, we will comply. Does anyone use Lantus on dogs? Thanks, Fran
              You want to get the Walmart store brand ReliOn Novolin for $24.88 ... their syringes are $12.58 / 100.
              Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Out of the many vials of insulins I've purchased at Walmart I've always been given the the $24 vial: just asked for Novolin-N. I suppose if someone argued / demanded Novolin-N without the ReliOn marking the pharmacist might special order Novolin-N without the ReliOn marking and sell it for $160ish. Guessing the Good RX discount pricing isn't appropriate for Novolin-N from Walmart

Craig
                Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
                  Out of the many vials of insulins I've purchased at Walmart I've always been given the the $24 vial: just asked for Novolin-N. I suppose if someone argued / demanded Novolin-N without the ReliOn marking the pharmacist might special order Novolin-N without the ReliOn marking and sell it for $160ish. Guessing the Good RX discount pricing isn't appropriate for Novolin-N from Walmart

Craig
                  The first two times that I bought the Humulin, the 100 ml vial was $160. at Walgreens and $167.00 at Walmart. That was before I found this wonderful forum and am now using Novolin and Mollie is doing as well as she was with the Humulin. Mollie only uses 3-4 units a day so trashing a more than half full vial of Humulin after 28-30 days just seemed wrong, the Novolin at $25 states that is is good for 42-45 days after it has been opened and it does not have to be refrigerated.
                  Miss Mollie, rescue pup, Malti-Poo, 12 years old, 10 pounds, diagnosed on 4/3/2017
                  She is eating Hills w/d, kibble 1/4 c green beans, 1 tbsp Pumpkin 2X a day, insulin is Novolin currently at 6 units 2X a day
                  Using AlphaTrack2 for home testing

Comment

Ok, that makes sense, $160 for 100 ml. Most vials are 10 ml/100 unit, and would last you a few weeks.
                    I didn't know they made 100 ml vials.
                    Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Originally posted by Raysaint View Post
                      Ok, that makes sense, $160 for 100 ml. Most vials are 10 ml/100 unit, and would last you a few weeks.
                      I didn't know they made 100 ml vials.
                      Sorry I added an extra ZERO to that number, it was 10 ml not 100 and we used less than 3 ml in in the first month. I was told that they sell 3 ml vials at Walgreens but when I arrived all they had was the 10 ml. The second month at Walmart I just bought what the vet had told me to buy which was Humulin, I asked for the smaller vial and was told that they do not make a smaller vial. I live in a very small community in northeastern Arizona, perhaps the prices are higher here, the trip to the vet or to Walmart is a 40 mile round trip.
                      Miss Mollie, rescue pup, Malti-Poo, 12 years old, 10 pounds, diagnosed on 4/3/2017
                      She is eating Hills w/d, kibble 1/4 c green beans, 1 tbsp Pumpkin 2X a day, insulin is Novolin currently at 6 units 2X a day
                      Using AlphaTrack2 for home testing

Comment

I was talking to the pharmacy tech at Walmart and she was telling me the Humulin was $186! I've always asked for the Novolin N for $24.
                        Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

I think maybe one dog has successfully used lantus on the forum. It usually doesn't work well for dogs here. In studies, I think some dogs are using it in conjunction with another insulin. But, it is not typically the insulin of choice.
                          Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Hello!!

Brand new newbie here..... my 13 y/o heeler mix girl was just diagnosed last night. Got the 10ml vial of Novolin N at Walmart last night for the 24.88.

Wondering if they make LARGER vials?? She is about 60 lbs and our vet prescribed 20 units every 12 hours..... so this is going to get pretty spendy for me pretty quickly...... Not to worry, I will do whatever I have to to keep her as healthy as possible.

But at this rate, she will be going through about 12 vials per month and even at $25 a vial, that adds up.....

a friend suggested maybe looking at Canadian pharmacies??

Any advice anyone can offer will be most welcome..... She got her first injection last night and her second this morning, and I can tell she is feeling better, just not all the way yet.

This is a whole new world for me and for her.....

Comment

hi: it is a whole new world..

Here is a link to Spirit's thread http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/show...t=newfoundland

he was a newfoundland, similar in size to your girl. You might be able to message Jim, his human, to see if they found any deals on insulin.

Judi

Originally posted by latetotheparty View Post
                              Hello!!

Brand new newbie here..... my 13 y/o heeler mix girl was just diagnosed last night. Got the 10ml vial of Novolin N at Walmart last night for the 24.88.

Wondering if they make LARGER vials?? She is about 60 lbs and our vet prescribed 20 units every 12 hours..... so this is going to get pretty spendy for me pretty quickly...... Not to worry, I will do whatever I have to to keep her as healthy as possible.

But at this rate, she will be going through about 12 vials per month and even at $25 a vial, that adds up.....

a friend suggested maybe looking at Canadian pharmacies??

Any advice anyone can offer will be most welcome..... She got her first injection last night and her second this morning, and I can tell she is feeling better, just not all the way yet.

This is a whole new world for me and for her.....
                              Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Working...
                              X