My angel Pedro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My angel Pedro

It has been a long night.My 7 year old yorkie has been diagnosed with diabetes yesterday.I am at the vets in a couple of hours with him.He was only drinking lots of water and peeing for just over a week before I got him checked out.He was only checked over and he has not been able to keep anything down even water.I have not been to bed all night as I have been nursing him.
    I have been bombarded with so much info I have been reading up on i can.t take any more in.He is my world and I just want to know if he will be OK?
    The cost is worrying me as I have no idea.It cost £200 yesterday just for his diagnoses.I am just worried he will die and I just can't live without him he is my best friend and goes almost everywhere with me

Re: My yorkie been diagnosed with diabetes

Diabetes is not a death sentence by any means. Most dogs can still lead long lives if they get the care they require, just like us humans.

You've already made the decision to give your best friend that quality of care by finding this web site. There is none better and the folks on here, who you will hear from soon enough, will help get you through this... as they did me when my Scooter was diagnosed in September of last year.

You will want to consider home testing his blood glucose levels (BC) to stay ahead of the game. Diet will also be something you need to watch.

We've all been there. The first few weeks are the hardest.
    Diagnosed 9/15/17. A 17 lb. terrier mutt, 15 years old. My bestest friend. Novolin N 6U, Novolin R 3U, 2X/day. Cesar Classics 3.5 oz. packets w/ 4 tbsps of old fashion Quaker Oats, 2x day. Probiotic every 3 or 4 days. Omega 3, two 300 mg. capsules 1X/day for skin. Occuguard Plus, Billberry, Lutein, Vit E, Vit C every meal for eyes.

Comment

Hi and welcome

Well my jesse has been diabetic for 8 years and lives a happy dogs life with some limitations

The biggest obstacle i have seen to regulation for relatively healthy dogs is moving to fast on dosing and end up giving more insulin that is needed . This creates a cascade of higher and lower numbers that have huge spreads . That is why you need to start with a conservative dose ,do weekly curves and adjust the dose as needed . Some vets may wait 2 weeks on curves and dose adjustments

Most people here on the forum do test blood sugar at home . There is a bit of a learning curve but once you get into a routine its no big deal for both the caretaker and the dog
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

I hear your cries and concerns loud and clear. Been dealing with it since Nov and still not regulated. But they are right about home testing and info available not just here but also with searches in general. The last thing I had been researching was Somogyi effect and how to test for it, took my baby to vet this morning for curve and took in all my test results and they called back a half hour after we dropped her off and said we don't need to bring her in for curves anymore as long as I am testing at home and to drop insulin down to 15 units as he is thinking perhaps somogyi. Go figure. You and your baby will be fine, just deep breaths.

Comment

It is not good.the vet says his pancreas is severly damaged .insulin not working .brought him home with me .he is just breathing fast and panting.i think im gonna lose him and he was only diagnosed 38 hours or so and he was only ill for a week drinking lots before i took him to the vet

Comment

Originally posted by rossmullen View Post
            It is not good.the vet says his pancreas is severly damaged .insulin not working .brought him home with me .he is just breathing fast and panting.i think im gonna lose him and he was only diagnosed 38 hours or so and he was only ill for a week drinking lots before i took him to the vet
            Many dogs who were diagnosed with pancreatitis need medical treatment for at a minimum a week . They need to receive IV fluids to give the pancreas a rest

My jesse spent 10 days at the hospital . It was very expensive but she was young and wanted to give her a chance . That was 8 years ago . You may want to ask your vet for IV fluids and how to give them

It can take weeks or months to see any progress in blood sugar . Remember pancreatitis if thats what your pup has is painful and may need some pain medication also . That why you may see more panting than normal
            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

SORRY i am new to this and cannot seem to figure out how to post correctly due to constantly crying.Yes my yorkie went to the vets monday after a week of drinking lots of water and peeing.He was fine til then and went downhill fast.he has been in the vets alday and they say insulin is not responding and now he has a severe damaged pancreas and urinating blood.they said he prob wontmake it.I have brought him home tonight ad all he is doing is breathing fast then slow and panting.he has had a morphine shot to get him thru the night . i am back there first thing but they are saying they wont treat him if i dont have the thousands they want as they say he might not ull thru.sorry i am heartbroken at the moment crying while typing he is only 7 not even 8 til nxt month .is it worth taking him to another vet?

Comment

Originally posted by rossmullen View Post
                SORRY i am new to this and cannot seem to figure out how to post correctly due to constantly crying.Yes my yorkie went to the vets monday after a week of drinking lots of water and peeing.He was fine til then and went downhill fast.he has been in the vets alday and they say insulin is not responding and now he has a severe damaged pancreas and urinating blood.they said he prob wontmake it.I have brought him home tonight ad all he is doing is breathing fast then slow and panting.he has had a morphine shot to get him thru the night . i am back there first thing but they are saying they wont treat him if i dont have the thousands they want as they say he might not ull thru.sorry i am heartbroken at the moment crying while typing he is only 7 not even 8 til nxt month .is it worth taking him to another vet?
                Oh i understand . Not sure if you are seeing pancreatitis . Blood in the urine sounds like something else is going on but my jesse saw blood in her stool for sometime . You could at least ask the vet if you could give IV fluids at home . THere have been some members that have done that and pulled through . Are you giving insulin ? Now just because its hard doesnt mean all is lost . You just have to think on how you can get the job done . More information maybe helpful from the vet on what is the diagnosis . Any blood work information maybe helpful . You did pay for that
                Last edited by jesse girl; 03-13-2018, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Thank you.ys i have paid hundreds in the last few days.I will ask in the morn if i can give him the iv fluids.but the attitude is from them that there is no hope as he is so ill.i just tried to get him steady and lots of brownish clear fluid gushed out of him.he hasnt peed at all since i got him home 8 hours ago.I really think im going to lose him at 7 yrs old...its to much to bear

Comment

And no he only just had one insulin and its not worked they saing cos of his damaged pancreas it would be a losing battle.I think im going to lose the best friend i could ever have

Comment

It has been made out by the vets that he is on a death sentence because of the damaged pancreas.This is going to destroy me I cannot live without him

Comment

Please try and get a second opinion...

Could he be having a urinary tract infection at the same time?
                        My dog went through 2 weeks in the vet and my vet let him stay over night 3 nights straight to get continuous iv. Is your dog responsive right now? One shot of insulin won’t do if he just got diagnosed with diabetes. Is there an emergency vet you can take him to so he can get continuous iv fluids???

I’m so sorry that you and him are going through such pain...don’t give up yet.
                        Mochi is a 11 year old Pomeranian. Weighing 11-12 lbs
                        Diagnosed with diabetes February 2016
                        Had cataract surgery June 2016.
                        On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

Thank you.Its 6am here ow in the UK.he is responsive its been a tough night.I lifted him twice in the night to get him relaxed and all brown water came out of him.I keep wetting his gums with water as no water or food allowed they said.He has been on an iv drip yesterday .I am dreading in a few hours when i take him back as to what the vets suggest.They seem to be talking like I need tens of thousands to keep him alive for a short while.I told them i could afford like 100 a week for insulin etc but they saying its cos his pancreas is destroyed there will be no point .I am absolutly heartbroken my loyal friend who if goes is going to make me want to commit suicide.he is such a big personality the house will not be the same we have gone threw so much x

Comment

some dogs start out with pancreatitis and ketoacidosis. See if they will let you take iv fluids home to administer yourself.

hang in there. big hugs to both of you
                            Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

What tests did they do to determine his pancreas is severely damaged?

Was he on an insulin drip, or did they give him a shot?

Brown water seems more like a kidney thing.
                              Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Working...
                              X