Antlers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antlers

Just some info. I've seen Patty talk about how much Ali loves his antler I bought some for mine and the little dogs don't show much interest, but Toby is hysterical. I don't think its been out of his mouth since it came yesterday. He slept with it!! LOL For any of you who have dogs that love to chew, its great. He hasn't even put a dent in it.

On a side note on Toby, I've been taking him everywhere with me in the car to get use to the sounds and sights of the world. We stopped at a traffic light and he started to bark hysterically which was odd. He's been doing really well. When I looked out the window, one of the storefronts had a big scarecrow standing out of a big planter. LOL None of the folks he's met so far looked quite like that guy.
    Last edited by peggy0; 11-18-2010, 09:08 AM.
    Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Re: Antlers

Oh my goodness. That's hilarious Peggy!
    Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Chris was suspicious of all statues and anything else that looked like a human being but definitely wasn't!

Sure hope he never meets anyone who DOES look like a scarecrow!

Natalie

Comment

I had my rottie (now gone) and Rowlf at a Nature Center about 7 years ago, walking the dogs. Rowlf suddenly stopped, crouched down, and started growling. There was no one anywhere near us, and I soon realized she was growling at a 12-foot bronze bear. Sam (the rottie) looked at her like she had completely lost her mind. - sheureka
        Rowlf - 13-yr-old 15-lb Bichon Frise diagnosed May 2009 - Relion (Humalin) NPH 4.5 units 2x daily - 1/2 cup Royal Canin 2x daily

Comment

I'm coming in late to this conversation but when I saw the title, I thought it was going to be about the deer who has holiday lights caught in his antlers!

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/v...ts-nov-19-2010

But tell me more about antlers for chewies?!?!
          Winter, a lingering season, is a time to gather golden moments, embark on a sentimental journey, and enjoy every idle hour. - John Boswell

A Doggy Story

Comment

Here's a thread that was started a while back on antlers http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/show...ighlight=chews

Most important is to make sure they are naturally shed antlers. My favorite place has been www.crookedcreekantlerart.com . But we have a few places that sell them around my local area as well.
            Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

toby has the medium moose

Comment

So, diabetic dogs can have Antler's as chews? We have been looking for something that Mickey can have as well as our other two dogs - and if he can, that would be great.

Comment

Yes, they are great!!!! Patty gives them to her dog as well

Comment

Oooh- glad I saw this! We have some antlers around here that the kids find when camping sometimes.

I also had to add- when our new pup came in one day after I had started decorating, the Christmas tree didn't faze her. The foot tall Santa that I put up on top of the entertainment center though- made her back away and then bark for a good 10 min. She still doesn't trust that guy. Izzie barks along just for the heck of it since she can't see anything.

Comment

Here's the thread that was started some time back on antlers as chews http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/show...hlight=antlers

I don't buy the split ones (some are sold split in half) as I think they have a risk of splintering but I haven't had any trouble with the regular ones.

They don't affect Ali's blood sugar at all unless she gets into an intense chewing session...then it can actually drop her bg.

The only problem I had was when I bought one from a place that also sold venison. The antler was fresh I believe instead of naturally shed and actually had blood draining from the marrow - yuck. I tossed it and made sure I only purchased shed antlers from then on.

We've had several different kinds. It's nice when the edges are sanded down so they aren't sharp. Our favorite are from www.crookedcreekantlerart.com. They offer a coupon code for return customers. Ali usually does well with a medium from there.

She has about 4 of them in her basket and I find them pulled out and scattered in the yard every day without fail .

Patty

Comment

Yay! - This is good news - and thanx for the link and additional information about the Antlers.

Comment

I would like to try this for Beau but I was wondering can they ship to California? Since it is illegal to have any antlers from game in California? Anyone out there in California has ordered these? California has so many rules.
                          Loretta & Beau diagnoised Sept 2010, Wellness Core Reduced Fat & Wellness Core Senior canned food, once a day 1/4 cup pure pumpkin.
                          Passed on to the rainbow bridge Dec. 11, 2012.

Comment

Really? I didn't know that. Is it because of poachers?
                            Antlered animals shed their antlers naturally once a year. You could try calling the CA Dept of Fish and Game http://www.dfg.ca.gov/ or see if the company you're ordering from knows. The hunting laws talk about tags for antlered animals http://www.hunter-ed.com/ca/course/c...egulations.htm.

Let us know what you find out.
                            Patty

Comment

Probably if they are prohibited they won't ship them, but I'm thinking they will be OK. I did a quick Google search and it looks like shed antlers are OK, but not from a fresh kill unless you have a hunting license. If you order forma company and have a receipt I wouldn't think it would be a problem, plus it is in your home. Next time my hubby and kiddos go camping I will have them be on the lookout for some shed ones. We will have to smooth anything too pointy- the German Shepherd pup isn't too bright yet, and of course Izzy can't see. That could be dangerous to ME

Comment

Working...
                              X