Frodo, the Schnauzer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frodo, the Schnauzer

We've just been diagnosed. Frodo is a 30 lb schnauzer mix. He's about 7-9 years old (shelter dog).

Thoughts on food? I cannot afford the w/d. I was thinking about the blue wilderness weight management.

Re: New diagnosis

Hi and welcome to the forum!

As far as food goes, the important thing is to find something that Frodo will eat consistently and also that it be low fat(our diabetic dogs are subject to pancreatitis). The Blue Buffalo Weight Management should be ok.

Let us know the insulin type, dose and frequency.

The k9diabetes web site is a good place to start learning about managing Frodo's diabetes...

http://www.k9diabetes.com/
    Last edited by MikeMurphy; 07-03-2017, 02:05 PM.
    Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
    Diabetes: Aug 2013
    Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
    Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

Re: New diagnosis

My Annie was on several of the Blue Buffalo Healthy Weight kibble for several years. Some think higher than average fiber is beneficial for diabetics (higher fiber is probably good for non diabetic humans too, but I wouldn't eat the kibble myself ). After a couple of years, Annie just stopped eating it without drama so I've gone to something else (possibly not as diabetic friendly) that she will eat 98% of the time.

Tell us more about Frodo. What insulin is he on, what is his dosage?

With your permission, I'd like to change the title of your thread to something like "Frodo, the Schnauzer". This would make this really his thread.

Craig
      Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9˝ years.

Comment

Frodo the Schnauzer Mix: New diagnosis

Right now, 3 units of Novolin N, 2 times a day.

Comment

Re: Frodo the Schnauzer Mix: New diagnosis

Originally posted by FrodosFam View Post
          Right now, 3 units of Novolin N, 2 times a day.
          Sounds like your vet is starting him off with a very low, conservative, dosage. This is a good thing, but keep in mind 3 units is likely VERY low, especially for a Schnauzer. Be sure to have him evaluated every week or so and have his dose adjusted. Every dog is different, but just as an example my 18 pound Annie is on 8 units of Novolin-N.

Craig
          Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9˝ years.

Comment

Re: Frodo, the Schnauzer

Frodo popped a 400 blood sugar level last week when we brought him in for something else, unrelated.

The hubby and I wanted to see if we could regulate his BS with diet alone (giving him a better diet, trying to prevent him from grabbing food off the counter, and stopping the toddler from "sharing). Today, his BS was 301.

We aren't thrilled with having to do insulin (we both work full time, and we have a toddler so the needles are a little scary).

Comment

Making sure you know about getting Novolin-N from Walmart. Walmart sells various Novolin insulins for $25, same insulin goes for $130+ at other pharmacies. Syringes are priced right there also,

Comment

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
                Making sure you know about getting Novolin-N from Walmart. Walmart sells various Novolin insulins for $25, same insulin goes for $130+ at other pharmacies. Syringes are priced right there also,

That's our plan! A friend mentioned that to me. She is a pharmacist at Sam's Club.

Comment

Frodo popped a 400 blood sugar level last week when we brought him in for something else, unrelated.

The hubby and I wanted to see if we could regulate his BS with diet alone (giving him a better diet, trying to prevent him from grabbing food off the counter, and stopping the toddler from "sharing). Today, his BS was 301.

We aren't thrilled with having to do insulin (we both work full time, and we have a toddler so the needles are a little scary).
                  From what I've read, and experienced on this forum, dogs become like a human type-1 diabetic that will require injected insulin. Diet change won't do it . Blood glucose values vary throughout the day so there really isn't much difference between 400 and 301.

To save a little money, and to get him into a better range, you might consider home blood testing. Usually pretty easy once you've done it a few times. Most on the forum home test using either an inexpensive common "human" meter, or a slightly more expensive dog glucose meter (AlphaTrak and PetTest are the most common ones). Take a look at the videos on the main section of k9diabetes website, and on YouTube.

Craig

Comment

I am thinking about the monitor. Right now, I wouldn't know how to adjust his insulin based on the results. We will see what happens when we go back to the a-hole vet on Monday.

Comment

I've got run, but wanted to mention not to put too much emphasis on a single blood test. As I mentioned, the blood glucose varies through the day, maybe by a LOT in the beginning (200+ point range wouldnt be uncommon in the beginning).

Knowing this, making adjustments based on a single reading can be dangerous. Some vets will ask you to bring the dog into the clinic 6 hours after breakfast and the morning injection, thinking 6 hours (mid way between breakfast and dinner) will be the dogs lowest reading. Unfortunately, most dogs haven't read the vet's medical books and don't have their lowest blood Glucose at 6 hours. Again, just my example, but my Annie has her lowest reading around the 11th hour or just prior to the next meal/injection: every dog / situation is different.

Craig

Ps. Being a long "weekend", the forum might be a little slow for that next day or two.

Comment

I am thinking about the monitor. Right now, I wouldn't know how to adjust his insulin based on the results. We will see what happens when we go back to the a-hole vet on Monday.
                        The forum can help evaluate your readings. Caution: some vets will tell you not to home test! My answer to them is: "if your human child was diabetic, would you home test the child?" Of course they would!

Amazon, and a few other websites, area great places for supplies.

Got to run!

Craig

Comment

I would like to add my welcome and echo Craig's advice to home test.

First, the welcome...you have found a really awesome forum filled with people who live this diabetes thing every day. We all know the fear at first finding out and the "I don't know what I'm doing" feelings. The one I think we all have in common is wanting to be the best advocate for our furry critters. The people here want to help, just ask. Even when you don't know what to ask, remember we've all been there.

Second, the echo...after I found this site and began to read (and there's lots to read), I decided we were going to home test Vinny. My husband needed a little convincing, but once I talked him into it, we've never looked back. We have done every curve at home that has been done on Vinny, primarily because I knew one at the vet would never be accurate. Vinny is and always has been awesome about it...some pups aren't. I just never let him know how nervous I was initially! I couldn't begin to tell you how much money we've saved or how many times we've caught him at a really low point. My vet told me he was going to have me teach other clients how to test their pets! This was after he had initially told me that I didn't need to home test Vinny. I didn't listen.

Hang in there. Two full time jobs and a toddler is a handful! Feeding and giving a shot to Frodo twice a day will become automatic. It will just take a little practice!
                          Mel and her Monster Vinny!
                          Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

Would it be reasonable to assume that if we were to buy our own meter that it really doesn't matter what lancets we use?

Comment

We're just 6 months into this ourselves and I can't say enough about home testing. It's less expensive than going to the vet and have them do it, especially when you're doing curves to figure out correct insulin dosage.

I was overwhelmed at first and pretty scared. But we're into a nice routine now and it takes me about 10 minutes to feed and give an injection in the morning before I go to work. I would be a lot quicker if I didn't piddle around and smash her black-eyed peas up with a fork.

3 units is a very low dose for a 30lb dog. Daisy started off at 27lbs on 3 units and I gradually worked her dosage up until I got her into an acceptable range at 4.9 units. The key is patience. Do a curve, adjust the insulin, let them settle in 5-7 days on the new dose then keep doing that until they're regulated.

You're in very good hands on this forum!!
                              Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

Working...
                              X