Otis Farrell July 24, 1999 - October 4, 2013 RIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Otis won't eat his breakfast ....

I know how worrying this is, Bill. Hope Otis eats his dinner! I agree about giving 1/4 the usual dose.

Sat, 12 Mar 2011 12:05:53 (PST)
    http://www.coherentdog.org/
    CarolW

Comment

Bill is the Benadryl you're using the pink ultratabs? That's what I use with Ali too.

I found out the dye free gel caps have sorbitol in them which can accumulate in the eyes and potentially perpetuate cataract development. So I'd steer clear of those.
      Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Originally posted by Patty View Post
        Bill is the Benadryl you're using the pink ultratabs? That's what I use with Ali too.
        Yes ... Costco is the place to buy them, 400 for $3.19!

Well he finally started to eat. I guess the bits of food I "force fed" him primed the pump. Around 5:30 he walked out to the kitchen and found the dish I left on the floor with a few pieces of ckicken and ate. I immediately fed him ... and, we're back on track now.

He just devoured breakfast, so I guess we're "good to go" today.

Thanks for your inputs and concern.

Used to be, I was "concerned" whenever he didn't eat. Now, with the diabetes in the equation ... it's panic mode if he doesn't eat. Man, this disease brings much more into play!
        Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Wow...that's a good deal. I don't venture into Costco often but will keep that in mind this summer if we need them again.

Great news...back on track.
          Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Costco is the place to buy them, 400 for $3.19!
            Could this be a typo?....I looked at Costco today and the ones I saw were $13.XX
            Last edited by eileen; 03-13-2011, 07:01 PM.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

Originally posted by eileen View Post
              Costco is the place to buy them, 400 for $3.19!
              Could this be a typo?....I looked at Costco today and the ones I saw were $13.XX
              Dunno ... It's $3.19 for a bottle of 400 25mg tabs at my Costco. You may have looked at Benadryl, rather than Costco's Kirkland generic brand.
              Diphenhydramine HCI 25 Mg - Kirkland Brand - Allergy Medicine and Antihistamine Compare to Active Ingredient of Benadryl® Allergy Generic - 400 Count
              Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Yep, that's what I did, I looked at Benedryl because that is what was mentioned in the 'ongoing' conversation.

I can understand the Kirkland brand being this cheaper cost as I have always purchased store brands in the past, usually Walmart's Equate brand which is also a great deal.

Thanks, I didn't think beyond name brand Benedryl.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

Originally posted by eileen View Post
                  Yep, that's what I did, I looked at Benedryl because that is what was mentioned in the 'ongoing' conversation.

I can understand the Kirkland brand being this cheaper cost as I have always purchased store brands in the past, usually Walmart's Equate brand which is also a great deal.

Thanks, I didn't think beyond name brand Benedryl.
                  This "generic" benadryl was quite an eye opener for me. Initially I was buying Walgreen's "generic" benedryl, and thought I was getting a good deal. Think it was about $5.99 for 48 of them. Then one day in Walmart I took a look at their Equate brand ... WOW, whatta deal 100 for $4.00.

Told a neighbor (dog walking bud) about my "find" at Walmart ... She checked at Costco, and found 400 for the $3.19. I'm not a member there ... so, she's been buying it for me.

Pays to shop around!

Comment

Thanks so much, I too thought I was getting such a god deal buying Walmart's Equate brand but I'll certainly get the Kirkland brand next time.
                    I use other Kirkland brand meds, certainly wasn't thinking at full capacity yesterday.
                    ;-)

I'm usually the 'Queen' of finding the best deals...this one slid by me!

With allergy season coming my dogs really use them, Mildred especially.

Sometimes I'll take one to help me sleep, only 1 takes the edge off which helps so much.

Thanks again.
                    Last edited by eileen; 03-14-2011, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Otis back from Doc Bob's

Took Otis to the vet to check is eyes, a "tag" on his chin & for the vet to get a sample for a fructamine test.

A couple of tidbits of good news ...
                      • Blood sugar was 228, which is much lower than any other test taken at the vet's office! ("normal day" - ate @6:00am & got his shot right after). The blood was tested @ ~9:30am. ... His lowest prior to this was 329, taken on a day I took him in because he hadn't eaten anything. Both his BG curves were in either the high 300's or low 400's.
                      • Asked Doc about increasing his dose, and he said we'll base that on the results of the fructamine test.
                      • Doc confirmed the only reason Otis vision is impaired is the cataracts that have formed. Great news ... because once he's adequately regulated we can look at getting his vision restored. ... At least we've got a chance!

That's all from Cordova.

Comment

Re: Otis back from Doc Bob's

I'm glad Otis' blood sugar has come down! Does the vet plan to do another curve?

Sometimes the blood sugar levels will be pretty flat when the levels are higher and then start to get more difference between highest and lowest blood sugar once you get down into the 200s so a curve at the vet would be very helpful in making sure he isn't going significantly lower at any point, something the fructosamine test won't tell you.

Maybe some day he will get used to his injections and you could take a stab (very bad pun) at home blood glucose testing.

If he stresses at the vet during a curve and you live close enough plus have a flexible schedule, you can do "drive by" curves at the vet by taking him there for each reading and bringing him home in between instead of leaving him at the clinic all day.

Good luck on the fructosamine test!

Natalie

Comment

Originally posted by k9diabetes View Post
                          I'm glad Otis' blood sugar has come down! Does the vet plan to do another curve?

Sometimes the blood sugar levels will be pretty flat when the levels are higher and then start to get more difference between highest and lowest blood sugar once you get down into the 200s so a curve at the vet would be very helpful in making sure he isn't going significantly lower at any point, something the fructosamine test won't tell you.

Maybe some day he will get used to his injections and you could take a stab (very bad pun) at home blood glucose testing.

If he stresses at the vet during a curve and you live close enough plus have a flexible schedule, you can do "drive by" curves at the vet by taking him there for each reading and bringing him home in between instead of leaving him at the clinic all day.

Good luck on the fructosamine test!

Natalie
                          Doctor Bob called yesterday with Otis' fructosamine test results. I wasn't home, and he left a lonnnnnng message.
                          The fructosamine test came in at 522 which is about 330 bg average for the past couple of weeks, I guess.

That would disturb me if he hadn't tested the O's BG level when he drew the sample. Otis was 228 BG when the sample was taken ... and the fructosamine test determines a historical average over the past 2 - 3 weeks.

• previous curves - all samples were in the mid 300 - mid 400 range. Last one was about 3 weeks ago and the dose was raised to 8U.
                          • I took him to the vet's office about 2 weeks ago when he wouldn't eat, and the BG was 329 that day. Doc determined he had a low grade infection and he was on antibiotics for a good portion of the period the fructosamine test was looking at (which can cause elevated BG levels???).

The reason for my "cautious optimism" is the "trend" (using the term very loosely) I see. He went from the mid 300's to mid 400's range on both of his curves ... to a 329 at the vet's office ... to a 228 when the fructosamine test sample was drawn, with the results indicating the average for the preceding 2 weeks was lower than either of the "lows' in his 2 curves.

BTW, the 228 reading was taken on a very "normal" day for Otis. He ate and got his shot at 6:00am and the sample was drawn at 9:30am.

Doc wants me to increase Otis to 9U on one of his daily's and keep him at 8 on the other. Wants me to continue to monitor the urine and if I detect any ;ow readings to cut the insulin back 1 unit.

Do you think I am on base with my reasoning?

We'll be doing another curve after the increased dose has time to "settle in".

Comment

Otis back from the ophthalmologist

Went to see what can be done about restoring Otis' vision.

Good News is his vision is restorable. Primary problem is cataracts, secondary is PK. The PK is bad in one eye and is increasing in the other.

O's tear production is very low.

Doctor put him on tacrolimus 2x a day and scheduled a followup appointment in three weeks. Seems to think the tacrolimus may reduce the pigmentation enough to allow for a simpler cataract surgery.

Gonna take him in for another curve in a week or so. He "seems" to be doing a lot better. No more water craving, urination, etc. He's staying betweel the 1/4% / 1/2% markers on the strip. Used to be 1% to 2%.

He seems to be really depressed that he can't see, and getting some or most of that back for him, if at all possible, is a real priority now. I know him well, and when he gives one of his snorts and shakes his head I know he's not happy with something. He seems to do that quite a bit when we're outside and I'm guessing it's because of his inability to see.

That's the news from here.

Comment

That is good news for Otis! Hope the Tacromilus helps with the Pigmentary Keratitis.

I found a couple of articles in reading up on it
                              http://books.google.com/books?id=fGJ...mology&f=false
                              http://pugman.com/Pug%20Information/...keratitits.htm

Keep us posted!
                              Patty

Comment

I was about to ask what PK is, and, Patty, you saved me the trouble - I looked at the second article you pointed to. Pretty good explanation, seems to me!

I REALLY hope Otis comes through nicely, with the tacrolimus - and can then have cataract surgery - wouldn't that be nice!

Wishing you and Otis all the best,

Thu, 28 Apr 2011 18:20:23 (PDT)
                                http://www.coherentdog.org/
                                CarolW

Comment

Working...
                                X