Blue's Journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Blue's Journey

I just increased to 5 1/2 on the 26th.thought i needed to wait at least a week before doing another curve? Other than tomorrow next chance would be this coming friday or sat. Only diagnosis for his stomach has been very sensitive stomach.Let me know bout the curve and I will do as soon as you say, just cant do Mon-Thurs.

Comment

I check forbes 4 days after an increase. I think you'd be ok to do one
      Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

I read in the pdr that you can give the humlin at differant sites unlike the vetsulin. can you tell me where you have found the best sites to give?

Comment

Any insulin can be given in different places in the body.

http://www.bd.com/us/diabetes/page.a...t=7001&id=7395

Natalie

Comment

Originally posted by blue View Post
            Have you heard anything about the Dia-ionx? I ead alot of reviews on it and with it being minerals and trace elements I thought I'd try it.
            Hi!
            I started to respond to you one night and lost my post then had to take my computer in for work so haven't gotten back to this.

I've tried some different supplements with Ali in the past but ultimately found they tend to "muddy the water" in trying to see what's really going on. I now try to really read up on whatever I decide to add and understand why it may or may not work. It's hard because there are a lot of "gimicky" products out there.

I went to the website for Dia-ionx. I am concerned about the Dia-ionx for a few reasons. The company makes this statement regarding canines: "Diabetes mellitus, the more common of the two types, is caused by a resistance to and lack of insulin similar to the human form of type II diabetes. Both types of diabetes are the result of defects in the hormone production in the body, though diabetes mellitus can be the result of an underactive lifestyle."
            http://www.vetionx.com/dia-ionx_dog.php (under Diabetes and Your Dog)

Dogs actually have more of a Type I diabetes where the beta cells are destroyed and the pancreas no longer produces insulin. I would want the company that produces the product to understand this in order for it to work effectively in the body.

I am also concerned that their success stories include comments such as: "We are continuing the shots until we have used up the supply and we will only use Dia-IonX after that. The vet agreed, it’s a great product." http://www.vetionx.com/dia-ionx_dog.php This implies to me they took their dog off of insulin.

There's another comment that a dog went into remission. I've not heard of such a case where a dog no longer has the disease unless perhaps the dog was honeymooning and still producing some of his own insulin or the diabetes was brought on by another disease or medication such as steriod use and the diabetes was transient. In those cases it would be hard to know whether this product was truly the reason for "remission."

The active ingredients are homeopathic remedies. If you're thinking about continuing this product I'd advise you to seek out a classically trained homeopathic veterinarian for guidance. http://www.avhlist.com/avh_index.php Most homeopathic veterinarians would not recommend a mix of remedies without first evaluating the dog. What might work for one dog may drive the symptoms of a disease deeper in another.

I know it seems harmless and you're just looking for something to prevent the harmful effects of diabetes on your dog's body. But I would start with the basics of food and insulin. Find that balance then look to add additional choice supplements that may benefit. Many of the oral medications and supplements on the market target Type II diabetics. Chromium is one that has been found to benefit both Type I and Type II. But I would still recommend balancing the basics first.

I had a great mentor that steered me down the right path when I was doing research. Just wanted to offer you some food for thought...

Take care!
            Patty
            Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

At the time I started him on this he was regulated on the vetsulin. I know better than to stop his injections and I purchased for supplements only. I am concerned that my home cooking does not give him everything he needs. once he's regulated again I plan to add more supplements, a little at a time of course, or try and give him organic dry kibble once or twice a week.I really appreciate your concern and all your help I really do...I need all I can get. By you researching I can tell you care, and thank you for that. But by no means am I looking for a cure for his diabeties only to try and help him along the way as much as I can.

Comment

Hi and Welcome if I have not done that

You were asking about food in a prev post, I've been using Orijen for years now, its on the spendy side but Niki does not need alot being she gets her brocolli or green beans with it & her turkey. Its worked out great for us.

Dolly & Niki
                Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

Originally posted by blue View Post
                  I am concerned that my home cooking does not give him everything he needs. once he's regulated again I plan to add more supplements, a little at a time of course
                  You've been at this a while. I didn't figure you were looking for a "cure"

I'm just not crazy the company's understanding of canine diabetes and their product claims. I think you'd probably benefit more from vitamin supplementation.

If you're interested in some reading there are some sites I found helpful in supplementing vitamins when/if you get to that point:
                  http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter...the-dogs-diet/

http://rdafordogs.blogspot.com/2007/07/vitamins.html

http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter...s-supplements/

I also have in some general notes that based on home cooked feeding for a 20lb dog the meat protein source would be 1/4 to 1/3 lb and the appropriate calcium supplement is 1/2 t of bonemeal powder OR 250mg calcium citrate. But I don't have a source sited for that info. You might be able to google the amount of calcium needed for cooked meat.

Take care,
                  Patty
                  Last edited by Patty; 02-02-2010, 09:43 PM.
                  Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

I repeated Blue's curve today, needless to say his numbers still high.

Fasting 261
                    Ate and 5 1/2 units given
                    2 hrs. post injection 200
                    4 hrs post injection 295
                    treat given as usual
                    6 hrs post injection 345
                    I did not check anymore until 1 hr before p.m. shot with that reading being

I need your advise on where to go from here.

Comment

January 24 on 5 units
                      Did Blue's curve today. here are his readings:
                      Fasting 287
                      2 hr post injection 187
                      4 hr post inj 204
                      6 hr post inj 324
                      8 hr post inj 337
                      10 hr post inj 405
                      Not much appreciable difference between the two curves. So I think a half unit increase would be okay. The time to watch will be that first couple of hours as the low point always seems to come then.

When that hits the low 100s, you will have maxed out how much insulin you can give him.

And... hate to say it... I would stop giving him the snack.

I'm sure he'd miss it BUT I think he would get much better blood sugar without it.

The time to give him something readily digestible and carby would be with his breakfast. Maybe as a reward after his injection.

It's possible that if you got rid of the snack you would see all of his blood sugar levels in the 200s. Can't guarantee it but it's possible. That would be a good thing and probably worth a little pouting on Blue's part!

What does he get for a snack? (I should look but can't stay online much longer).

Natalie

Comment

he gets chicken jerky, store bought i hate to say. He also get one after his am injection.so I will increase up to 6 units in am. thankyou

Comment

It doesn't seem like some chicken jerky would raise the BG that much. Still, I'd try eliminating it.

It doesn't have sugar glaze on it, does it?

Actually, as far as chicken jerky goes, it's really hard to find some for dogs that isn't made in China.

Natalie

Comment

you are right made in china, it states chicken breast, veg. glycerin (palm & coconut oil) & natural flavorings.??? I dont know about the dingo brand-I use to get that for them. All I know is they LOVE it and will drive you crazy until you give them one. He gets one after his morning injection as well as at noon. looks like his am readings would be higher if the jerky is what is causing his pm readings to be high.

Comment

Did a curve today on 6 units. His readings look pretty good to me. Look forward to hear from you

Fasting 293
                              ate and gave 6 units, gave his jerky treat
                              2 hrs post inj 192
                              4 " " " 247
                              6 " " " 185.. 178..209... checked all within mins of each other, first& second time blood wasn't as bright as last time
                              8 " " " 198
                              1 hr before pm feeding and inj. 293
                              He did not get a treat at lunch only a small bite of boiled egg.

Please let me know what you all think..if I should leave as 6 units or increase a little. hope you all are doing well as well as your little ones.

Comment

Looks like nice numbers! I don't myself like to make suggestions. If I were going to raise the dose, which does look possible to me, I would raise it only by a quarter-unit per injection. That's Humulin-N Blue is on; is that right? It's powerful stuff -U-100 insulin!

Blue is feeling pretty good, is he? I can't remember how much he weighs? He's big for a Min-Pin, is he?

Anyway, my impression is that you're gaining good control - nice going! Now, I'll let OTHERS make dose-suggestions; ha!

Fri, 12 Feb 2010 20:03:38 (PST)
                                http://www.coherentdog.org/
                                CarolW

Comment

Working...
                                X