This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulin Profiles - Lilly's Graph of Actions of Insulin

When you see R and NPH mixes like 70/30 and 50/50, the insulin is a pre-mix of R and NPH. 70/30 is 70% NPH and 30% R--50/50 is half NPH and half R. Not many animals need that much R as a rule, so when R is called for, it is usually much less than that.

If someone with diabetes needs to use cortisone-type meds for any reason, those can drive the bg's up and then there are times when some R is used to keep the bg's down while you're using the medication.

If someone's needing to use R, I believe you need to be blood testing and you need to be doing it more frequently than you might if there's no R in the picture. R works fast because there's no suspension to it. It leaves the system quickly because there's no suspension to it, but making a mistake with R can easily lead to a hypo incident.

Back in the old days when insulin was first isolated for use in controlling diabetes, R insulin was all there was. There were no suspended insulins until Hagedorn came up with PZI in 1936. Until then, if you needed to use insulin, you had to make sure you set an alarm to wake you up for a middle of the night shot. So the real diabetes pioneers used R all the time, each and every day for their total bg control.

Kathy

Take a look at the time action profiles--the one for Humulin R, the one for NPH without any R added, and then look at the Humulin 70/30 which is 70% NPH and 30% R, then the Humulin 50/50 which is half NPH and half R. You'll see the type of "punch" R can pack when you compare that action profile to NPH alone.

Re: Insulin Profiles - Lilly's Graph of Actions of Insulin

I'm just moving this up to the top of the page.

FYI, Humulin L was a lente insulin like Vetsulin that was used very successfully with dogs. It was human rather than porcine insulin. Humulin L and Humulin U (Lente and Ultralente) were withdrawn from the market a few years ago.

70/30 and 50/50 are still available. You can also custom mix R and NPH in one syringe at whatever proportions are needed.

Comment

Originally posted by k9diabetes View Post
      I'm just moving this up to the top of the page.

FYI, Humulin L was a lente insulin like Vetsulin that was used very successfully with dogs. It was human rather than porcine insulin. Humulin L and Humulin U (Lente and Ultralente) were withdrawn from the market a few years ago.

70/30 and 50/50 are still available. You can also custom mix R and NPH in one syringe at whatever proportions are needed.
      My vet took my schnauzer off Vetsulin. Said it had been getting bad reviews. I'm using Humulin N but still can't get his glucose level down. I want to go back to Vetsulin because I have four bottles left. What is the difference???

Comment

We have an 11 yr old Dachshund that has cushing's disease as well as diabetes. he has been on Vetsulin (16 units a day) and Trilostane (120 mg a day) since he was diagnosed. I have always bought his insulin through 1800 Pet Meds or Allivet since they were the cheapest. however, all of the internet pharmacies are saying that Vetsulin is off the market until 2011. They want me to change the dog over to Human Insulin. The Vet does not reccomend this since he has been so hard to regulate. Does anyone know of a supplier for Vetsulin. Thanks, Ellen

Comment

I can't help you with a Vetsulin source but something to keep in mind as you put more thought into whether or not it may be best to switch to NPH or even Lantus.
          I found out today that there are several law suits against Intervet, the manufacturers of Vetsulin. A petition was presented to the courts on December 19th asking for permission to file a class action suit against the company on behalf of all Vetsulin users who want to participate. If it does go thru to this proportion it may be even harder, if not impossible to find Vetsulin in the future.

Here is the news article appearing in a Ohio paper.
          (not sure if the link will appear correctly, if not you can copy and paste)

http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs...WS16/912260378

Eileen/Mil

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

Working...
          X