My cat Audrey: Audrey is at peace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My cat Audrey: Audrey is at peace

This morning I found a hard, large lump on my 20 year old cat Audrey's jaw. My heart stopped because this looked like nothing I've seen before. It just looked big and hard. I took her in to the holistic vet as all the other vets were closed today. The holistic vet is also a regular vet. The vet thought that Audrey likely has a mouth cancer. X-ray definitely showed bone erosion. We do have a small unlikley chance it is tooth abscess because the first aspirate contained pus - this is unlikely because the second and third aspirates were clear. It could be that the tumor got infected.
    This came on so suddenly - at least I think. She sees her regular vet monthly because of her thyroids and high blood pressure. I don't think she had this in July.
    Audrey is 20 yo, and she's had a full life, but nothing has prepared me for this. She is the most neglected creature in hour house because she's been so easy.
    Last few months, she has been licking her mouth quite a bit, but we could not find much. I thought it was infected gum - so we had her on Clindamycin. The pet dentist did not want to clean her mouth because of her age and heart murmur. Last week or two, she has been pawing at her mouth, but I did not notice anything until this morning. I don't know how I could have been so neglectful - esp since I pill her 2x a day.
    The vet was telling me that there was nothing I could have done - it was not like I was going to pursue an oral surgery for a 20 yo cat.
    I will know for sure tomorrow as I will get the cytology and the radiologist reports back, but my heart breaks - esp since I've neglected her so much.

Re: My cat Audrey has a mouth cancer

oh, what a sweet cat. Please don't be so hard on yourself, you strike me as one of the best pet Mom's ever.

I'm going to cross my fingers for the small chance that it is an abcessed tooth. That happened with my non diabetic dog Ranger, huge lump in his throat, I was convinced it was a tumor, it wasn't it was a very abcessed tooth.

If it isn't, listen to your vet. 20 years with you, I bet she has had a wonderful life and knowing cats, if she had wanted more attention, she would have gotten in your face and demanded it!

big hugs and let us know

Judi
    Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Yunhee.... I'm so very sorry to hear about Audrey.

Please don't beat yourself up about not noticing. I know several people whose dogs or cats have gone through this and in every case the tumor wasn't obvious until it was quite advanced. They discovered it exactly the way that you did and in the advanced state that you did. I don't know why that is so but it seems to be very common. I can only guess that it develops inernally and then at some point breaks through the palate.

These tumors don't have a good prgonosis even with surgery, as I understand it. They are very aggressive.

Having been in this place just a few months ago with Gus, I know how hard this moment is.

And I too hope it is only an abcess.

Sending you a hug,

Natalie

Comment

Thank you, Natalie and Judi,
        I think the reality has not hit me yet. I look at her, and I can't believe that she likely has squamous cell carcinoma. There is nothing I can do - with Harry's diabetes and Cushing's, I had to immediately deal with the illness. With this, there is no injections and treatments that I can do, so it is now as if this tumor is not even there (hard to explain what I mean).
        She did have signs - a bit of drooling and making this weird biting sound for months. I thought gum infection.
        I am also upset because I spend thousands in vet bills - running blood tests, monthly blood pressure and etc., but it seems to be the unexpected things that happen (like Harry's diabetes instead of GN and Cushing's - and Audrey's SCC instead of thyroid, high blood pressure and heart murmur). That is life, I guess.
        Today, I allowed her into our front yard (her dream). I follwed her there to keep her safe.
        Now she is begging me for food. Her breakfast is still there. She's been a pest around the feeding time for a few months now - it is as if she blames her old food for not being able to swallow well and thinks new food could make a difference.

Comment

Oh Yunhee. I'm so sorry. Here's hoping for the best for you and your furry family.

Tami, Soaphie and Syd

PS - 20 years is SO impressive!!!!
          Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Thank you, Tami.
            I have another cat, James, who is 4 months older than Audrey.
            I can't believe that I have four ancient geriatric pets - but honestly, I never thought that I would end up with two 20 year old cats and two geriatric dogs at the same time.
            I've been really lucky with my cats because until recently, they had been healthy with no issues.

Comment

I'm so sorry Yunhee. I echo the rest in hoping for the best for Audrey!
              Do keep us posted.
              Patty
              Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

My mother's cat developed mouth cancer. It progressed rapidly and she had to have Slicker put down when he could no longer enjoy food of any type.

I'm sorry to hear your Audrey has it. 20 years is pretty darn good for a cat.

Keep hanging in there.

Bonnie and Angel Criss

Comment

I don't have the best news.
                  The radiologist report came back - extensive bond lysis into the mandible area along with teeth infection from the neoplasia - most consistent with squamous cell carcinoma. The cytology report will be back tomorrow.
                  Bloodwork, ironically, looked great - nothing abnormal - amazing for a 20 year old cat.
                  I will the use of low dose Naltrexone or Piroxicam with the oncologist tomorrow. I also ordered some Essiac tea at the recommendation of some friends. The holistic vet, though, said that Audrey's cancer is too aggressive and advanced for Essiac. The goal is to ensure that Audrey is comfortable and painfree as long as possible.
                  I also spoke with her regular vet who checked her mouth on July 12 and noted "no lesions or mass seen." She was so shocked by this news - esp since this thing grew so quickly.

Comment

Yunhee,

I am so sorry to hear about Audrey. No matter how long you have them, it is never enough. It is amazing how fast that it grew so rapidly.
                    Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Originally posted by HarrysMom View Post
                      I don't have the best news.
                      The radiologist report came back - extensive bond lysis into the mandible area along with teeth infection from the neoplasia - most consistent with squamous cell carcinoma. The cytology report will be back tomorrow.
                      Bloodwork, ironically, looked great - nothing abnormal - amazing for a 20 year old cat.
                      I will the use of low dose Naltrexone or Piroxicam with the oncologist tomorrow. I also ordered some Essiac tea at the recommendation of some friends. The holistic vet, though, said that Audrey's cancer is too aggressive and advanced for Essiac. The goal is to ensure that Audrey is comfortable and painfree as long as possible.
                      I also spoke with her regular vet who checked her mouth on July 12 and noted "no lesions or mass seen." She was so shocked by this news - esp since this thing grew so quickly.
                      I'm so sorry to be reading this news.

I do want to say that when Mildred's bladder cancer was discovered this past May the vet (not her regular vet) started her on Piroxicam immediately.
                      She soon became VERY ill, bloody diarrhea and quite lethargic.
                      I spoke with her regular vet about it and he had me stop the Piroxicam with a rest of a few days without it. We then began giving Carafate several hours before her Piroxicam which we started back at a third dose given every other day. We continued this for about a week giving her body time to adjust with slowly building up to half dose every other day and then gradually a full dose every day.

We use Piroxicam 10mg tabs cut with 10ml solution and with dosing at 1ml daily.
                      I spoke with a compounding pharmacist who told me to use sterile water or simply boil tap water before mixing.
                      I mix it myself but am probably going to have it compounded next week just to save me the trouble. The cost for the entire bottle (30 tabs) is only $25.00 to have mixed, I just haven't gone back yet to have it done.

Because I was in tears at the cancer diagnoses I went to the closest pharmacy which was a Walgreens and paid about $70.00 for the prescription.
                      I later inquired at Walmart and found that it falls into their cheaper meds....I do believe about $10.00 (or less) for the same.

For the time you and Audrey have left together I wish you much joy and hope she does not endure pain....I understand what you are facing, I'm sorry.

hugs

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

I know Audrey is in the best hands, yours.

I hope you can enjoy some time together.

xoxo Judi
                        Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

I'm so sorry Yunhee. I do hope she has many comfortable and painfree days ahead yet.
                          Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Oh, dear Yunhee,

I'm so sorry to read about Audrey. At least she's clearly had a good life till now. And - 20 years - really magnificent! You surely have a lot on your hands, with four geriatric animal companions.

Sometimes I wish life didn't have death at its end!

I don't know of anyone who takes better care of her animal companions than you.

Waving our magic wands for you and Audrey, and Harry, too.
                            Mon, 8 Aug 2011 20:06:49 (PDT)
                            http://www.coherentdog.org/
                            CarolW

Comment

Judi, Eileen, Barb, Carol and Patty
                              Thank you.
                              My husband reported that Audrey seemed uncomfortable. He was working out of home, and he had her on his lap while working.
                              When I heard that, I thought her time has come, but this evening, she is comfortably resting on my lap. She even tried to take a large bite of my bread, so I think she is not suffering too much. When I was feeding the dogs, she came in the middle of the fiasco to demand her meal. I watched her eat a fair amount of food tonight.
                              I pray that I have enough courage to let her go without suffering.

Comment

Working...
                              X