Missed Dose - What do I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missed Dose - What do I do?

Sometimes I feed Lexi (dog) then I am interrupted and forget to administer her Insulin. This happens at least once every two weeks.
    What should I do?

This is what I have been doing: If I remember within the hour, I give her the Insulin without extra food, if I remember 1-4 hrs later, I give her 1 cup of food (vet said do not give on empty stomach). If I remember about 6 hrs later, I give her half the dose with food. And if it is 1-3 hrs before her next scheduled dose, I do nothing).

Sometimes I can't even remember if I gave her the Insulin, so I set up a system where I stick (put) the evening needle out the lid of syringe box – if no needle exists = I didn’t give her the morning shot. If needle exists = I did give her the morning. If it is night, and no needle, then I gave her the evening needle (I haven’t missed a whole day yet - evening less busy, so I remember better).

Re: Missed Dose - What do I do?

Lately, I've had that happen a couple of times, and all I do is just wait until the next feeding/shot.

Do you log the shots? I have an application on my iphone that helps me keep track of insulin and blood glucose. It's intended for humans, but it works pretty well for my dog.
    Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

Routine is best. I will normally test/shot/feed. Abby is a good eater, so I don't have to worry if she will eat or not.

In the beginning I would Feed, then test/shot. Also, as Cebe mentioned keeping a log sure helps. Write down when you have given the shot and if you are home monitoring what the reading is.

Alot of us do record in a log book.
      Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

I missed a dose a week ago but not because I forgot but because I actually physically missed with the syringe. Chase has very thick fur and the needle gets buried. I pinched and made the "tent" and the needle went in one side and out the other. Needle must have been on an angle. I noticed all the insulin on him.

However, I didn't know how much he did receive so I played it safe and gave him no more.

His BG at the next fast was high but after 24 hours his BG came back down to normal levels. So all in all, I don't think it's a big deal if you miss.

Comment

I have made it a habit to never feed Pip without filling the needle and putting it on a plate with his post-meal, bribery cookies.

I make his food, put in all his supplements, break up two cookies on a plate with the syringe. I also bring out his eye drops - everything he needs before I put the food down.

I also have a list on my kitchen cabinet all his supplements AM/PM. I can just look up if I get confused.

Comment

Dunno ... When O misses a dose, it's because he won't eat.

Depends if, and when, he eats as to how much, if any, insulin he gets. Missing a dose isn't the end of the world. Sure beats the heck out of too much.
            Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

I asked the Vet again - same Clinic, differnet Vet, this is the response I got:

Ideally it's best to give the insulin right after feeding but within the hour is okay much later and it would become a problem. If it's 2-3 hours later I would give a half dose without extra food. Her blood glucose would be high for the rest of the day but it's better then going to low

Comment

That respose makes more sense to me than what you were told earlier. Just IMO.

Mary
                Ruffles May 1997~~12/6/2010~~She was "a heartbeat at our feet"~~
                Izzy--BD unknown;~~ RIP 7/13/2013 ~~; she was a sweet Yorkie spirit and we miss her
                Bella--Yorkie rescue; BD 9/2013 +/-; RIP 5/2015
                Ruby--senior Yorkiepoo foster

Comment

I agree with the last response. I've done that with Hank once or twice. You just don't want to overlap your insulin by too many hours. So giving a full dose four hours late isn't a good idea.

But it sounds like you just need to get a routine going. My morning routine isn't great and have forgotten once or twice but my evening routine is always the same. Feed the dog then get his insulin BEFORE I sit down and eat. So somewhere between his eating and mine...he'll always get his shot. It's always within half an hour of his eating so it works very well.
                  Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

This entire insulin thing is quite nerve-wracking. Just when I think I got it under control, my dog decides he wants other food to eat. He also is now on Lasix as an Xray showed fluid around his heart and he's been hacking/coughing a lot. The Lasis is suppose to make him pee and sleep more, and he is. His levels have been weird and I was thinking maybe since I left the Vetsulin out of the frig overnight, maybe that attributed to it. But, it did go down and then tonight when I was hoping all would go well, he went to bite me when i gave him the injection and I held on, but not sure if he got any insulin. Looking at the needle, it looks like I missed,. Sxxt ;(
                    Before I go to bed, I'll be on my hands and knees asking that he be ok.

Comment

He,ll be okay. Maybe alittle high tonight. You can walk him that will bring his blood sugar down abit.

sending u a bandaid for your finger
                      Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
                      20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Yep, as Mo said he will be fine. We all have messed (or WILL mess up) an injection. When it happens, just say: "shucks!" and move on. The pup will be high the next day, but much better than giving too much insulin and really have a problem.

Craig
                        Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

I am so grateful to K9Diabetes for all the help my dog and I have received.

Comment

We had to develop a routine for all of us, he gets his shot when eating and will actually turn his head after the first few bites and 'look' for me to give him his shot. He does NOT do that for my hubby and will get feisty.
                            Laura & Charlie 29 lb male lhasapoo diagnosed October 2013. 16ish units of Novolin N. 1 & 1/3 cup of Natural Balance Fat Dog twice a day. An egg with breakfast and chicken with dinner. Shares string cheese with us late afternoon. Cyclosporine ointment for KCS. Blind from cataracts January 2014. Crossed the rainbow bridge 2/1/2016 at 14.5 years

Comment

Ironic that I just realized that I missed Vinny's shot last night! All because my husband typically takes care of feeding and insulin at evening mealtime and last night I was the one! Just another reason for schedule and consistency! 😊
                              Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

Working...
                              X