View Single Post
Old 10-03-2018, 08:50 AM
Interim CC

Default Re: Diabetes, Cushings and Pancreatitis in my Dog

OK, it’s me back again. I’ve tried to do a little more research about those other elevated adrenal hormones. And maybe the folks here will know more about possible interactions. But from my limited reading so far, I’ve not found an association between androstenedione and glucose levels. Estradiol may interact, but I’m not sure that it’s in a damaging way. However, it looks as though elevated Progesterone/17 OH Progesterone can be associated with insulin resistance. Elevated cortisol levels, on the other hand, can frankly increase glucose levels. That’s why the standard concerns about the combo of diabetes and Cushing’s typically relate to elevated cortisol.

Again, if Yukie’s glucose level ends up being quite difficult to control, then repeated testing of all his adrenal hormones may be warranted. If necessary, there is a prescription medication that can help lower progesterone, 17 OH progesterone, androstenedione and cortisol, as well. So do not despair! Right now you’re at the very start of the road. I’m sure the K9D folks will tell you there’s still a heck of a lot of insulin tweaking that can be done before we need to start worrying about a lack of response from Yukie.

Marianne