View Single Post
Old 06-04-2010, 08:14 PM

Default Re: Mini Schnauzer Gretel - Injection problems brewing!

Well, after a trip to the Wal Mart pharmacy this evening, I'm more confused after coming out then I was when I went in.

I took the box that Gretel's NPH insulin came in because I wanted to ask the pharmacist if the NPH and the Relion N brands were interchangeable. After reading all the posts here about that, I assumed that they were. The clerk at the counter took the box and showed it to the pharmacist and then came back and told me that he said they were not the same. Needless to say, I was very surprised because that's not what I expected to hear.

My vet also was very hesitant to ok the switch. She said she'd have to look into it. So I thought if I went to the pharmacy and they told me it was the same, then I would have that information to give the vet.

Well, it didn't work out that way. Now I'm not sure what to do, because I was really hoping that I could make that switch at some point in time because it really would be less expensive.

On a brighter note, Wal Mart did have the short needle syringes with the half-unit markings, so I didn't come away empty handed.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to why the pharmacist would have told me that? I don't know whether to just let it drop or pursue it further.

Carolyn