View Single Post
Old 06-04-2010, 09:34 PM

Default Re: Mini Schnauzer Gretel - Injection problems brewing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolGram View Post
Well, after a trip to the Wal Mart pharmacy this evening, I'm more confused after coming out then I was when I went in.

I took the box that Gretel's NPH insulin came in because I wanted to ask the pharmacist if the NPH and the Relion N brands were interchangeable. After reading all the posts here about that, I assumed that they were. The clerk at the counter took the box and showed it to the pharmacist and then came back and told me that he said they were not the same. Needless to say, I was very surprised because that's not what I expected to hear.

My vet also was very hesitant to ok the switch. She said she'd have to look into it. So I thought if I went to the pharmacy and they told me it was the same, then I would have that information to give the vet.

Well, it didn't work out that way. Now I'm not sure what to do, because I was really hoping that I could make that switch at some point in time because it really would be less expensive.

On a brighter note, Wal Mart did have the short needle syringes with the half-unit markings, so I didn't come away empty handed.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to why the pharmacist would have told me that? I don't know whether to just let it drop or pursue it further.

Carolyn
Oh Carolyn, you'd be surprised at the misinformation I've gotten from a pharmacist at the Walmart pharmacy.

It's very possible that by the pharmacist saying they were not the same he meant the box that you showed him was not the same as ReliOn Novolin N, which it wasn't...that's not to say they are not both NPH insulins.

As I posted previously, my vet too was hesitent when I asked about switching from Humulin N to ReliOn Novolin N, only I think because he had never heard of this particular brand that Walmart sells....I did it anyway, 4 years ago.

ReliOn Novolin N IS NPH insulin made by Novo Nordisk as Humulin N IS NPH insulin made by Eli Lilly.

Altho they are both NPH insulins and most often interchangeable some can notice slight differences. It is best to chose one, stick with it and not go back and forth between the two.

If I were you I'd go directly to the source and call Novo Nordisk...hear it from 'the horses mouth'.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog