Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My cat Audrey has a mouth cancer

Originally posted by HarrysMom View Post
    I know - but unfortunately in Audrey's case, her tumor is very aggressive (grew 5x the original size in a month).
    Audrey has been spending a lot of time near the dog's waterbow. I thought she was drinking, but it turned out that she is soaking her tumor. The cold water must help with the pain. A sad sight to see this little girl trying to alleviate her pain. At least, she has a will to try. She is on Buprenorphine to help with her pain, but I am thinking of upping her dosage.
    oh, what a smart cat. ((hugs))
    Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

What about one of those reusable ice packs you can buy at the drug store. If you get one, you can put it out under some towels (they can be pretty intensely cold) and see if she wants to lie on it.

But, I am posted just to check in and see how you and Audrey are today.
      Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

Thank you.
        She was bleeding a lot yesterday from the tumor (dark and clotty blood).
        I think her time is near.
        I've upped her Buprenorphine.
        She continues to eat well and wants to go outside, but this bleeding really bothers me. My husband thinks that I am prolonging her pain, and he said that he can't bear to look at her suffering.
        I've stopped giving her bitter Chinese herbs - why torture her more.
        I am hoping that she could last into this weekend - I was going to take Friday off and spend all day with her, and then have the vet come on Saturday. I think we will do it in our yard - Audrey's always loved it there. My heart feels really really heavy, and I can't believe that she will be gone from me and that she won't be there at night to cuddle with me.

Comment

Originally posted by HarrysMom View Post
          Thank you.
          She was bleeding a lot yesterday from the tumor (dark and clotty blood).
          I think her time is near.
          I've upped her Buprenorphine.
          She continues to eat well and wants to go outside, but this bleeding really bothers me. My husband thinks that I am prolonging her pain, and he said that he can't bear to look at her suffering.
          I've stopped giving her bitter Chinese herbs - why torture her more.
          I am hoping that she could last into this weekend - I was going to take Friday off and spend all day with her, and then have the vet come on Saturday. I think we will do it in our yard - Audrey's always loved it there. My heart feels really really heavy, and I can't believe that she will be gone from me and that she won't be there at night to cuddle with me.
          I totally understand. I think it's great that your vet will come to you. We did that with my mom's dog earlier in the summer.

I'm also taking time to be with my pet. Luckily, I can work from home, so I'm here with her now. But, as with Audrey, Abby's time is near too.

Enjoy your girl for a little longer. I'm sure she's always happy to be with you.
          Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

Yunhee,

I am so sorry about Audry... It is so hard to let go, and you have had her so long. It isn't an easy decision. Hopefully she will make it till Friday, so you can spend some quality time with her.

Hugs.
            Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Thank you, Barb.
              I've tentatively scheduled for my vet friend to come over Saturday at 1PM and do the euthanasia. I will spend my Friday saying goodbye to her and let her go in our backyard. I think my other cat needs to know that his lifelong companion of 20 years has passed. I am hoping that Audrey will last reasonably pain-free until then. I am thinking that this is better than taking her to a depressing vet office.

Comment

I'm very sorry Yunhee to know that Audrey's time is short but thankful that you have a friend who can handle this for you to make it even more peaceful.

Natalie

Comment

Yunhee,

That is very nice that you have that option and have a vet friend that will give Audrey a comfortable place, one she is familiar with, when her time is to go.

Audrey always knew she had a wonderful home, wonderful family and probably all the more reason she stayed around so long. No matter how long we have them, it is never enough time.

Barb
                  Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

I have been thinking of you and Cebe this week. You have a very loving plan in place.

hugs, Judi
                    Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Thank you, Judi, Barb and Natalie
                      I will also take her to the oncologist to see if things are as bad as they seem.
                      This week is a really crazy busy week for me at work - I don't have an option of taking time off until Friday. I worked all last weekend and the weekend before. I hope that I am not being too selfish by waiting until this weekend. I also hope that I am not being too rash.
                      The hardest thing is that she still wants to eat (demands fresh food actually) and wants to hang out exploring the garden. But then, she starts to spit out clotted blood and looks miserable. I don't even know what to think. I have to remind myself that this terminal, and bone tumors must hurt a lot.
                      This morning, my other dog, Amy, was lying down, and Audrey went directly over to Amy and stood over Amy's head for a long time. It was as if she wanted to get some sympathy from Amy (they are quite close - a 70 lbs dog and a 6 lbs cat). Amy did oblige and intently smelled Audrey's tumor. Amy then turned her head and made this disgusted looking face and sneezed. The tumor smells awful, and I think Amy can tell that there is something rotten in there.

Comment

Thanks for thinking of us Poodles.

With regard to Audrey, I don't think you could be too rash at this stage. But I think waiting till Friday is good so you have time with Audrey.

Comment

Yunhee, I can't help wondering if animals are alot like humans when the end is near. It's well known that a person can "hold on" and by what seems like sheer will power live longer than expected. She is probably so happy with you and your animals that she wants to stay around as long as possible, just as you want her to.

My thoughts and prayers are with you, Audrey and Cebe (Abby's mom).

Mary
                          Ruffles May 1997~~12/6/2010~~She was "a heartbeat at our feet"~~
                          Izzy--BD unknown;~~ RIP 7/13/2013 ~~; she was a sweet Yorkie spirit and we miss her
                          Bella--Yorkie rescue; BD 9/2013 +/-; RIP 5/2015
                          Ruby--senior Yorkiepoo foster

Comment

As I type, Audrey is on my lap wrapped in a warm towel as I am applying cold compress to her chin. She seems content and comfortable for now.

Comment

Am so glad you are able to continue to spend time with her! We all need that last bit of goodbye! You are in my thoughts and lots of warm hugs your way!
                              Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Thinking of you and Audrey today. I hope you are getting the quality time with her that you should have. Let us know how you two are when you get a moment.

Comment

Working...
                                X