Andy, the Wonder Wiener

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Andy, the Wonder Wiener

Holy moo cow, dogs can get hepatitis? I didn't know that. Geeze for a little dog he's sure been knocked around.

Ciprofloxacin is heavy stuff. Works great but very powerful.

Comment

I'm glad it's susceptible to the Baytril! There are getting to be some scary bugs out there. Metronidazole probably is the second one - that is Flagyl.

Comment

Nat your right it is Metronidazole.

Snow I was shocked dogs could get diabetes.

Comment

Originally posted by forloveofandy View Post
          Snow I was shocked dogs could get diabetes.

Me too I thought it was rare in dogs The poor vet, I just said the same thing about a dozen times on the phone "what do you mean he has diabetes? how could he have diabetes?" LOL poor thing!

I knew cats got it, I had a cat who had type 2 and did the spontaneous pancreas re-boot after 2 years. I thought maybe something like that would happen for dogs. I know better now.

Comment

Just to report in that Andy is now on all three meds and doing very well. His BG's are nice and low, nose is all dry and he is running the show again.

I am not sure how long he must stay on these meds but I sure hope this is the cure and the end of the issues for a while.

He will go back in a few weeks to get liver values tested again. At that point we will decide if a liver biopsy is in his future.

I will post an update when we have one.

Comment

Andy must be so much happier now!!

Comment

That's great news Anne!

Comment

Andy Update

Andy had a blood test that revealed elevated liver enzymes. I mean extreme! So we had a ultrasound done of his liver with needle aspiration.

The results came back and his Vet consulted with his internist and they decided that the inflammation in his liver was more than just diabetes related. They recommended a liver biopsy which I did not do. It is surgery and not something I wanted to do without trying other things first.

They put him on the following meds.

• Ursodiol 50 mg BID
                  • Metronidazole 125 mg BID
                  • Cipro 125 mg BID

He also takes supplements
                  Milk Thistle, Probiotics, Vitamin E, Sam

Next I went in search of the best diet for liver support. I changed Andy's diet and his glucose started swinging high and low. I put him on Preference food by Honest Kitchen. It mimics raw, only it is freeze dried. You add your own fresh meat. This food is incredibly healthy and good for his liver but it was not supporting his diabetes. I kinda fell into a depression and contacted Margo who did what I should have done. She analyzed all the ingredients in the food. All the ingredients are considered "free" food and have no effect on glucose so long story short, Andy was dropping out like a rock and rebounding. For some reason I did not see this. I thought he was getting too much insulin.

I stopped giving him R and lowered the N to 3 Units and things only got worse.

So Margo steps in and helps me understand this food is not supporting his insulin and suggests I add brown rice and maybe fresh sweet potato. YEAH! It worked great!
                  Now I add 1/4 cup brown rice to his Preference along with fresh meat and we are back to nice level numbers again. I give him 1/2U of R and 5U of N in the same syringe BID. He stays below 200 most of the time and we are happy with that. Nice and level. Plus the food is better for him and his liver.

He is still reverse sneezing and still has his runny nose and allergies but we only give him Benadryl and his antibiotics and liver support meds.

Ok now for the good news. After a month on the meds Andy's liver enzymes have returned to normal or almost normal. I had his blood work repeated yesterday and *got the results back today.

His ALT was 876, today was 28, Normal range is 10 to 100
                  His ALKP was 1598, today was 268, Normal is 23 to 212
                  His AMYL was 1173, today was 317 Normal is 500 to 1500
                  Glucose at the Vet was 197

Yeah! Time to party!

Comment

Congratulations!!!!!

You know, I've occasionally had arguments with folks who are very strongly advocating grain free diets because I tell them sometimes a diabetic dog just really has to have some carbs in order to match up with the insulin. Apparently this is true with Andy.

It can get very overwhelming trying to balance so many different issues. Sometimes it is best for someone outside to look the situation over through fresh eyes. You and Andy have been through a lot this past year so it's not surprising that you got a little buried in it all.

I'll bet he feels a lot better since his liver has healed up.

Natalie

Comment

Hi Anne,

What a great turn around with Andy's numbers. His BG numbers look great. Sometimes it takes someone else to look at what you are doing to get things sorted out.

Enjoy your party.

Jenny

Comment

Thank you so much.

Yes sometimes we get so over focused and caught up that we are blind to the obvious!

Thank goodness for those of you who never get tired of saying the same things over and over. I am very grateful.

I know that low carbohydrate diets are miserable. You are tired and hungry all the time.

Left to right, Sammy, Roxy and Andy

http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/j...t=3wieners.jpg
                        Last edited by forloveofandy; 07-11-2009, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Anne,
                          LOVE the picture! What a crew

Liver enzymes look great!

Found this picture (sorry I don't know how to shrink it )...thought you'd like it.

Party time!

Patty
                          Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Was starting to worry about Sweet Andy. You haven't posted for quite some time. Glad that his liver enzymes have returned to normal. God this boy needs a break from all of these healyh issues. Good news I am glad!
                            Marianne and canines: Jasmine( diabetic since 4/10) Puma,Harley,Sebastian,Sophie and cats: Yoda,Sabrina and Cleo. Also Baby Boy (my cockatiel) & Angel Pebbles

Comment

That party picture is priceless! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by forloveofandy View Post
                                Thank you so much.

Yes sometimes we get so over focused and caught up that we are blind to the obvious!

Thank goodness for those of you who never get tired of saying the same things over and over. I am very grateful.

I know that low carbohydrate diets are miserable. You are tired and hungry all the time.

Left to right, Sammy, Roxy and Andy

http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/j...t=3wieners.jpg
                                What a great picture, Sammy looks so dignified! Does Roxy run the show at your house?

snow

Comment

Working...
                                X