Abbie's Mom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Abbie's Mom

A fairly flat range of readings. Hope the vet says to increase the insulin. 15 units for a 57 pounder isn't very much.

Craig
    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

I see what you're saying about the Kashi, but I would think twice about it. I tried giving my dog just a simple tbsp of cooked rice with her meal to help with a fast drop she was having, and, instead, it spiked her bg. Granted, that was white rice, but I think even brown rice/grains can add a spike. You might eliminate it, and see if that little tweak helps get your where you need to be.

But, all in all, your numbers are not that bad. Don't be discouraged. You will get there (and pretty soon, too). I would think a little more insulin and maybe eliminating the grain from the mixture would do the trick, but see what your vet says.
      Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

Thanks for the input, Cebe & Craig. I spoke with the Vet after the last reading & gave him her day's #s. He has increased her insulin to 16 units. Cebe, I am concerned about making any changes@ this point plus I have enough in the freezer for another 3 weeks . I think when I make it again, I will leave the Kashi out & see how what effect is has on her glucose. Then add it back if no affect. I wanted to get extra fiber since I am not using the more expensive W/D formula from the Vet. The Kibble I presently use has less fiber than W/D.
        Still a work in progress . Probably will always be.
        I appreciate your valuable insight!
        Thanks
        Elaine & Abbie
        Abbie, 12 yr old black,Hound, Lab mix?Diagnosed 2/28/13- 21U Novolin N(eff. 9/20/13) Science Diet Adult lite 1/2 +Science Diet WD+ Canned WD Wt-61.0# - Abbie's Mom

Comment

I think that sounds like a good plan.
          Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

Hi Elaine.

I don't mean to send conflicting information to you, but I personally think those numbers are great - and like Craig agree that they are relatively flat. We like flat numbers because then we can safely raise insulin dosages.

I would leave the Kashi in, for now... Only one change at a time. If you start removing the Kashi and increase the insulin, you will never know what works, or what didn't work.

We all strive for flat numbers, and then work on getting them down. That is the easy part, you just give more insulin. The tricky part is keeping those numbers flat.

Barb
            Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

I too would stick with the current diet for now. Once the blood sugar is down to a better range, you will be able to see whether the diet needs tweaking or not.

The range of high to low in this curve is only 115 points. that's really good. If more insulin brought all of these readings down by 100 points, it would be a nice curve of 128-243.

4:20 AM - Fasting - 283
              4:35 AM - Food & Insulin

4:40 AM 261
              6:21 AM 316
              8:21 AM 343
              10:18AM 307
              12:29PM 329
              2:20 PM 228
              4:18 PM 284

The rise in the curve is at mid-day so you're definitely not getting a burst of carbs right after eating. Instead, it looks like digestion is lagging a bit in the morning.

And the insulin lasted exactly 12 hours since your two pre-meal readings were identical.

There's really a lot to like about this curve. Hope it will stay that way as the insulin dose goes up.

Natalie

Comment

Thanks so much for the input, Natalie, Barb, Cebe & Craig. I have not taken her BG reading since increase of insulin to 16 units. I am out of strips & have just order new ones. I have the ReliOn Prime but gonna give her a rest from sticking for a few days. The Alphatrak strips should be here in the next day or two. I only got 25 in the "Kit" I purchased w/ the Alphatrak2 . I used all but 1 on the curve the other day & messed it up. Soooo
                I will do another curve on Thursday when I am off & see how the extra unit effected the readings. It was nice not to see any huge spikes or drops during the time I was doing the curve.
                Hopefully that extra unit will make all the difference. My hubby was commenting on how frisky Abbie is acting. It is such a relief to see her acting more like herself! She has some other issues we need to address. She has apparently partially torn her cruciate ligament on her left rear leg. The vet doesn't want to do anything until her blood sugar is regulated. It will be a major thing to repair it from what I understand, with therapy afterwards which we can do at home. Very restricted activity. I miss her on our walks.
                Thanks again for your valuable insight! I would still feel like I was walking in circles in the wilderness if not for this site~
                Elaine & Abbie
                Abbie, 12 yr old black,Hound, Lab mix?Diagnosed 2/28/13- 21U Novolin N(eff. 9/20/13) Science Diet Adult lite 1/2 +Science Diet WD+ Canned WD Wt-61.0# - Abbie's Mom

Comment

Maggie had ACL surgery and a year later had to have her patella reattached. She was quite a wild thing when she was young. This happened when she was really young - it is hard to restrict activity on a young JRT. Hopefully, Abbie will be more cooperative.
                  Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Amy, my Abbie is quite hyper. She likes to run. We found her at the humane society when she was about 2. After we lost our 14 year old Golden Retriever, I was really sad & thought I would go to the shelter. I saw Abbie & she was "bouncing" off the wire of the kennel she was in. I thought I could not keep up with her, so I came home & told my husband I must not be ready yet, none of the dogs there caught my eye. (accept Abbie for her hyperactivity). The next day my husband went to the shelter. (I did not describe Abbie or comment about her. ) Guess who my husband brought home - Abbie. When she is bad, I always tell him she is his dog. I have had trouble keeping up with her until recent years. She is now 11 almost 11 1/2 - Everyone that sees her thinks she is younger. She has slowed down since ACL tear & her diabetes, but thankfully this past week or two she is beginning to be her perky self again.
                    Sounds like your pup Maggie likes to tear about too!

Comment

Elaine,
                      Sounds like things are going pretty well. I'm sorry to hear about Abbie's knee though.

I would still feel like I was walking in circles in the wilderness if not for this site~
                      I often felt the same way
                      Patty
                      Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Help~! Any experience with "mess up's" with insulin/food? My hubby feeds our pups & gives Abbie her insulin each mealtime. - Wellllll-Tonight I got home from work @ 6:00Pm I see the insulin & syringe on the counter. I asked him if he had fed the dogs & Abb her insulin - He said yes & realized he was interrupted by the phone, sat down in Living Room, finished the call & totally forgot to give her the insulin. (totally not like him)He had had a very stressful day @ work. I was really upset. She was fed around 5:00 & No insulin until 6:00
                        We gave her the insulin 60 min after her food ???!!!! Any experience with what results this can bring??? So far she outwardly seems fine. I will do her BG to see how she is doing.
                        Any experience with this happening?
                        Worred Abbie's Mom
                        Elaine & Abbie

Comment

Of course every pup is different, but I don't think there will be much of a problem. Might go a a little higher than normal for a couple of hours, but should be fine. Remember, some folks do the twice-a-year time change all at once without problems.

Absolutely sure he forgot the shot? Double shot would be more of a problem.

Craig
                          Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Chances are it won't be a problem. I would just keep an eye out for any unusual behavior and, if you are out of strips, assume anything that looks like low blood sugar is low blood sugar and treat accordingly.

Truly, I think the most likely outcome is that this will be a total nonevent, especially since she's not likely very tightly regulated at this point.

These kinds of things happen to everyone now and then. It just comes with the territory.

I like that he had the stuff out on the counter so you fairly quickly discovered that the shot hadn't been given.

Natalie

Comment

Thanks Craig for the reassurance. I of course am the reactionary in the family. My hubby said should be fine. I was worried she might drop low later. I will keep a check on her.
                              Thanks,
                              Elaine & Abbie

Comment

Thanks Natalie, Thanks for the reassurance. My hubby is usually the stable, dependable, regimented individal in this home. It is good that he takes the Insulin out of fridge when he feeds her. That is the only way I or he would have realized it was not given. It is concerning that something as simple as that can trip you up. We knew he had not given it because the new syringe was by the insulin.
                                Our memories are not what they used to be ! We just keep making more lists & reminders .
                                Elaine & Abbie

Comment

Working...
                                X