Which insulin do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which insulin do you use?

In particular, which type of NPH are you using?

If your dog has passed away, please vote with the last insulin you used.

AND you can vote in more than one category. So if you are using a combination of insulins, vote in all of the categories you are using.
    Novolin NPH, have used Humulin NPH in the past
    0%
    Novolin NPH, never used Humulin NPH
    0%
    Humulin NPH, have used Novolin NPH in the past
    0%
    Humulin NPH, never used Novolin NPH
    0%
    Levemir
    0%
    Caninsulin / Vetsulin
    0%
    Lantus
    0%
    Also add Regular insulin
    0%
    Also add Humalog or Novolog fast acting insulin
    0%
    Other. Please post and describe what you are using
    0%

Re: Which insulin do you use?

Chris (diabetic 2003 to 2008): Regular R insulin (Novolin and Humulin at various times) four times a day, meals and injections every six hours.

Comment

i used Caninsulin at first then switched to novolin ge nph, then bought humulin once used it for a month, now i use novolin ge nph. but nordisk has a new insulin out overseas thats supposed to stop the low bg s, fda needs to approve it in north america.

i d like to buy novolin r fast acting to keep on hand for an emergency but the vet wouldn t recommend it or tell me what syringes to use or what iu to inject at first.
      Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
      20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Originally posted by Riliey and Mo View Post
        i used Caninsulin at first then switched to novolin ge nph, then bought humulin once used it for a month, now i use novolin ge nph. but nordisk has a new insulin out overseas thats supposed to stop the low bg s, fda needs to approve it in north america.

i d like to buy novolin r fast acting to keep on hand for an emergency but the vet wouldn t recommend it or tell me what syringes to use or what iu to inject at first.
        the syringes are the same you use for n and can be mixed with n in the same syringe . for most of us who use a fast acting like r or novolog the action of this insulin has a big affect on blood sugar in a short time we have developed protocols on when to use like giving when number is maybe above 300 and only giving at certain times of the day i stick with a 6 hour cycle so by the next time i am ready to give that next shot of n we dont have any residual fast acting in the system working when i dont want it to be

doses for jesse are a quarter unit to a half and that can drop blood sugar for jesse a 100 points

i can understand your vets reluctance to using it .many dont have much experience using it and you do have to monitor blood sugar quite closely when first using so home blood testing is a must
        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Using Novolin N. We may have come pretty close to regulating Abbie. Speaking to the Vet tomorrow with today's results. No readings in the 300s Yeah!
          Elaine & Abbie
          Abbie, 12 yr old black,Hound, Lab mix?Diagnosed 2/28/13- 21U Novolin N(eff. 9/20/13) Science Diet Adult lite 1/2 +Science Diet WD+ Canned WD Wt-61.0# - Abbie's Mom

Comment

Bumping up

Comment

Humulin N

My Vet told me not to use the generic at Walmart Why?

Comment

Originally posted by Awesome Dog View Post
                Humulin N

My Vet told me not to use the generic at Walmart Why?
                The people at Piper's diagnosing vet told us not to use Novolin as well. They said it wouldn't work in dogs. I dont know where they got that from, but obviously, that's not the case, since a lot of dogs do well on it. We had no choice but to get Novolin, since our Walmart no longer sold the Humulin, and Piper is able to use it.
                Mandy and Piper | Border Collie/GSD Mix | 01/01/2002-10/31/2015 | DX: Diabetes- 09/18/12, Bladder tumor- 09/18/14

Comment

i agree with mandy . there is no general consensus that says the relion brand of nph insulin which is novolin at walmart is not effective in dogs . even if it has some discernible differences with humulin most dogs dont get normal blood sugar anyway so the differences have little affect for most . most here on the forum use it for there pups .
                  Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                  Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

The action of the two might be slightly different, but particularly in a newly diagnosed dog, you don't have a pattern yet to worry about anyway.

In addition, the Relion N is not actually "generic". It is Novolin N (printed right on the box) just packaged in House Brand packaging by Walmart. The two preparations - Humulin N and Novolin N - are essentially identical.

To be honest, I think a lot of information vets have gotten about insulin have come from sales reps. I know that Vetsulin sales reps used to tell people that NPH was going to be discontinued "any day now" as a way to convince them to put all of their patients on Vetsulin. Wouldn't surprise me if Eli Lily sales reps have spent a lot of time and energy criticizing the Novolin product.

We used R only, which is a less complicated product, but we switched back and forth between Humulin and Novolin without any problems. A lot depends on how sensitive the individual dog is to insulin and the other ingredients in it.

Natalie

Comment

Look at the image of the Novolin from this online seller. Notice the little blue "ReliOn" label on the lower right of the box (click "enlarge" to get a clear image)? I wonder if they actually just repackage the $25 ReliOn branded Novolin, and resell it for $89?

http://www.1800petmeds.com/Novolin+N-prod11500.html
                      Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Gosh I hope they just picked the wrong photo... I'm sure Walmart wouldn't be too happy about that. But it would reinforce the fact that Relion N IS Novolin N!

Natalie

Comment

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
                          Look at the image of the Novolin from this online seller. Notice the little blue "ReliOn" label on the lower right of the box (click "enlarge" to get a clear image)? I wonder if they actually just repackage the $25 ReliOn branded Novolin, and resell it for $89?

http://www.1800petmeds.com/Novolin+N-prod11500.html
                          It would be interesting to know if they sold only Humulin N before the Walmart switch to Novolin.

There is nothing on that site which is a good deal.

They sell Zymox for $22.49, and you can get it for $9.99 at Entirely Pets.
                          Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Thought I would update Alfie's insulin use.

He is currently on Humulin N (its actually humulin I in scotland tho!)
                            Never been on Novolin.
                            He also gets caninsulin and Novorapid.

Not sure if Novorapid is just the UK name for Novolog so I voted in the "other" category for this just in case!

He gets both the Caninsulin and the Humulin with morning and evening meals and the Novorapid around lunch time most days.

Being on steroids has been challenging to get any sort of control of the bg's.
                            Its still not great but he is happy enough!
                            Alfie- 11 1/2yrs. 8kg diagnosed June 2008. Insulin - NPH, Novorapid & Caninsulin - a work in progress! Dx left brain neuro focal lymphoma 4th Dec 2012, still fighting on!.

Comment

Bump up after recent discussion on NPH vs. Caninsulin/Vetsulin.

Comment

Working...
                              X