syringe disposal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• syringe disposal

I've just been through a bit of a fiasco with my vet on syringe disposal. Basically it was a whole lot of miscommunication, but I was never told that they'd charge me for syringe disposal at the office. I understand why they do, just wasn't told up front.

Anyway, after sending an unsatisfied email, my vet called me to try to clear it up. I'm still not too excited with her, I think she's just "covering her butt" trying to say they just had a meeting to make sure everyone was telling clients the right stuff when SHE's the one who told me I could dispose of them there and never mentioned a fee. Anyway, she also said most people dispose of them at their pharamacies and thought you could do that for free. How do all of you dispose of yours? Does Wal-Mart take them?

I'm also a little irked that she never even inquired about Jasmine or how she's doing during this phone call....just trying to make sure she's placating me on the syringe issue so we don't leave her practice! She'd have more luck keeping me if she showed some concern for my dog! They just got a new vet working there that I think I'm going to like, so I'll stay there for a while yet to give her a try

Re: syringe disposal

I'm a little embarrassed to say that I have yet to dispose of any of my syringes. I have them all collected in a container, but I've been lazy about taking them to the vet. I was told they'd take care of it for me, and no one suggested there would be a charge. We shall see!!
    Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

Patty had a good link in some other thread with the rules by state. MN lets you dispose of them yourself if you do it properly (I haven't done it yet).

I googled WI and found a fact sheet that said collectors can pass on their costs but can't make a profit. Here is the link:

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/aw/wm/publicat...pub/wa1239.pdf

I really need to get going on mine too. My illegal coffee container is kind of full. Judi
      Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

There was a discussion about this a few months ago. I think the bottom line is each State / location has its own laws / restrictions.

We first bought sharps containers from Target and took full containers to our vet for a small fee. We then discovered that our local trash service would take sharps containers for free, just had to deliver to their office (no curb pick-up). A year or so ago they started to charge, I believe $15, but they would supply the sharps container.

I just wouldn't feel good about disposing at the curb even if it was allowed in my State. I put syringes, lancets and used test strips in the sharps container.
        Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Craig: In MN you are supposed to melt the needle, put them in a plastic detergent bottle with a screw on lid, and mark the bottle as well as duct tape it I think. I'll probably take mine to my vet.
          Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Originally posted by kidpwr4 View Post
            How do all of you dispose of yours?
            I put the plastic caps back and throw em in the kitchen garbage container.

They are transported from my kitchen garbage container to my city trash container in a garbage bag.

My city trash container is rolled down to the street on a Thursday night.

Friday morning the city solid waste removal crew empties the contents of my city trash container into their truck and transports the used needles to a solid waste landfill.

That's it .... simple, huh???

♫♪ .... I love logistics! ... ♫♪
            Last edited by farrwf; 10-14-2011, 11:41 AM.
            Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

In San Francisco, you can pick up free sharp container at Walgreens and bring back the syringes in the container to the store - all for free.
              Walgreens in our neighborhoone (Marin County) used to do that, but not anymore. I bring the needles and the container to the city Walgreens near my work office.

Comment

Turns out my town here in Connecticut allows them to be recycled. Just put in a laundry detergent bottle, tape the cap and label. I don't know about other towns but I would say it's likely the same.
                Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

My vets took my syringes and disposed of them along with their sharps; no charge.
                  Fri, 14 Oct 2011 15:46:59 (PDT)
                  http://www.coherentdog.org/
                  CarolW

Comment

I put the plastic caps back and throw em in the kitchen garbage container.

They are transported from my kitchen garbage container to my city trash container in a garbage bag.

My city trash container is rolled down to the street on a Thursday night.

Friday morning the city solid waste removal crew empties the contents of my city trash container into their truck and transports the used needles to a solid waste landfill.

That's it .... simple, huh???
                    I wonder if that is legal in your state?

In OR I talked to the hazardous waste people up in Portland. We are not allowed to put them in the garbage, nor put them in laundry detergent bottles. You must use a specific container for them, either purchased at a drug store or your vet. Even if you get the little thing that cuts off the needle, you are still not allowed to put just the syringe in garbage either. My city does not have curbside for hazardous waste.

Oh and no Wal Mart does not take needles at all.

I got a container from Fred Meyers, for $15, it is large, but I have 2 diabetic dogs. It lasts for many months, I'd guess 6?

Some vets charge, some don't.

Comment

I cheat.... Since I work in a hospital, I collect them in a container.... When it gets full I transfer them to a bag and pour them in our sharps container at work

Sandy

Comment

Originally posted by tiggys grandma View Post
                        I cheat.... Since I work in a hospital, I collect them in a container.... When it gets full I transfer them to a bag and pour them in our sharps container at work

Sandy

Wish I were brave enough! LOL I keep thinking if I do that...I'll get caught! Lucky I can use my trash here then! LOL
                        Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Sandy
                          Here's a thought. We can save our "stuff", and simply mail them to you!
                          Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
                            Here's a thought. We can save our "stuff", and simply mail them to you!
                            OK!!

Shellie, our containers at work are the size of kitchen trash cans... I frankly don't know if I'd get in trouble doing it or not! Lol

Comment

OK!!

Shellie, our containers at work are the size of kitchen trash cans... I frankly don't know if I'd get in trouble doing it or not! Lol
                              I know...ours are pretty big, too but I'm just the one who'd get caught and they'd accuse me of SOMETHING! LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X