Inject-ease Users: Please describe your technique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inject-ease Users: Please describe your technique

I got an email question about whether folks using the Inject-ease pull up the skin or just point and shoot as people do with it.

Thought it would be helpful if anyone who uses or used to use an Inject-ease could share details of how you used it to inject your dog... did you tent? where on the body did you inject? not sure if it has settings, but settings you used if it does.

Natalie

Re: Inject-ease Users: Please describe your technique

Buddy did not have much meat on his bones so I gently tugged one of his curls to lift the skin a little. Most of the time I used the inject ease it was around the scruff area. As for settings the only adjustments that can be made are spacer rings of different sizes depending on the brand of needle as to which one I used. The spacer rings changed the depth the needle penetrated into the skin.

Jenny

Comment

I'm using Inject ease too. the syringes I use are BD ultra-fine 11 0.3, 8mm. I use the spacer ring and that reduces the syringe to about 5mm. My little dog does not have much fat and his whole body feels "tight" which makes it hard to 'tent the skin" that's why I originally got the Inject ease. What I would really like to know is do you still need to tent the skin with a 5mm needle? or is it still too long. I am thinking of trying to get hold of the new 6mm syringes, then using the spacer ring which should bring the syringe down to 3mm. Any ideas please. My Max has also just had his cataracts removed and now sees very well, which is not to my advantage when it comes to seeing me with the insulin and eye drops!! Would appreciate any advice. Thanks

Comment

I pull up a little tuft of hair, usually around his shoulders or above arm pits. He's fine with those places but if I try for the scruff Franklin squirms.
        Jane and Franklin, 8 years, maltese, currently 6.4kg, Australia. Cushing's with elevated hormones dx'd 2009/2010, proteinuria, epilepsy, diabetes dx'd July 2012. Phenobarb 30mg bid, 3mg melatonin bid, lignans sid, caninsulin 4.8u bid (a work in progress). Diet- home cooked. Blind from cataracts January 2013, sighted from surgery February 2013.

Comment

Holy Cow Jane!! I totally forgot that Franklin's adorable video is of Inject-ease!!! Duh!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpYlddS2dFI

He is so cute... that video makes me want to steal him right off the screen.

Natalie

Comment

I remember Pat also made a very detailed account of his use of the AutoJect2 which is similar but also depresses the plunger for you. http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/show...?t=2480&page=4 He included photos here http://s196.beta.photobucket.com/use...13291225470253
            Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Thought I'd add Franklin's new video link to this thread http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMLp0...e_gdata_player
              Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

For the AutoJect2 does Bailey flinch when you direct inject? Do you have to use spacers for a u100 needle so it doesn't go into the muscle and hurt? Sorry so many questions but Callysto and I are new to this and any way injections are made easier for her, I'm all for it.

Comment

Hi Shodgson.

There are no spacers on the Autoject. The Autoject comes with two depth adjusters for different syringe and needle combinations. They screw into the end where the needle comes out and you can screw the adjuster in or out to adjust for the depth. It just takes some experimentation to find the right depth.

I've been lucky because Bailey doesn't usually flinch or complain about anything as long as he gets something to eat afterward. For some reason, the only thing he doesn't tolerate are the short needles. He has a fit when we use the short needles, but he's fine with the longer needles. Other dogs are just the opposite. Bailey just doesn't like being injected too close to the surface of the skin. I believe that the main problem with injecting into a muscle isn't necessarily that there is more pain, but that it can affect how fast that the insulin is absorbed into the system. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

We have been injecting straight in for a long time with no problems, but that again was experimenting on the depth and watching the BG levels and how they changed at different depths. We found a depth that he was OK with and didn't seem to change the BG levels any more than lifting the skin to inject.

I think the main problem most dogs have with the Autoject is that the sound it makes when you release the spring to inject the insulin can startle them.
                  We didn't have any problems, but some do and you have to be patient until they get use to it.

You only asked two questions and as usual, I can't write short replies and probably told you more than you wanted to know.

Please follow the link Patty gave you and if you have any more questions, or the information isn't clear, just let me know.

Good Luck

Pat

Comment

Originally posted by pat3332 View Post
                    You only asked two questions and as usual, I can't write short replies and probably told you more than you wanted to know.

Please follow the link Patty gave you and if you have any more questions, or the information isn't clear, just let me know.

Good Luck

Pat
                    It is always so good to see you here Pat. Wishing you and Bailey well!

Natalie

Comment

I have been using the Inject-Ease for a couple of weeks now and it has changed our lives. I have some arthritis in my hand which made using a syringe difficult to do without moving the needle after insertion. The distance from the button for inserting the needle to the plunger is short so I can manage. I do tent up skin as before. Happy owner and much calmer dog.

Comment

Working...
                      X