• Show
Clear All

• Re: Diggydog

I had a request for an update on Alfie!

Natalie

Comment

Ditto that
      Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Tritto that! (and no..probably not a word but since I made the initial request with Natalie, I think I'm entitled to make one up! )
        Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Originally posted by Shellie View Post
          Tritto that! (and no..probably not a word but since I made the initial request with Natalie, I think I'm entitled to make one up! )
          Well since its tritto for an update here we go

Always easier to start with my mini schnauzer girls. Skye will b 11 soon and continues to act like a puppy. Long may that continue. Schnapps has just turned 12 and other than a touch of arthritis is doing well. My little puppy Phoebe will turn 3 years old in a week. I have no idea where the time has gone or how my little baby puppy got to b a grown up girl. They make me laugh everyday and give so much love to me & everyone they meet.

Alfie .........well it's always a drama with the wee dude!!!
          We are just a few months short of him turning 12 & now 6 1/2 years into his saga of diabetes.
          It's not been the easiest of years with him but then it never is. Since seeing the new IMS and thinking Alfie doesn't have a brain tumour we have managed to get him completely off the steroids after a few fits & starts. He was a bit on them off them for a while but in the end we managed it. Still can't decide if it's been good for him or not. A few weeks after stopping them he showed extreme pain in his spine & could hardly walk. X-rays were done but nothing significant showed so a round of painkillers & we seemed to b getting better. We go through periods of vomiting & pain every couple of months now with no real rhyme or reason - I think it's a mild chronic pancreatitis. Totally would explain why he is never been regulated & the pain & vomiting.
          One of the new vets in the practices has questioned whether Alfie is actually a true diabetic or not. He thinks given Alfie's history & symptoms he wonders if his diabetes has a hormonal brain issue causing diabetes rather than his pancreas not working. It's an interesting thought but not taken it any further as for the last couple of months he has been doing well. Going with leaving things alone just now while he is holding his own and happy enough to plod on wagging his tail.
          No idea what time we are looking at having with him so endless tests & poking & prodding just seem pointless to put him through for the time being. He has many more good days compared to bad so as long as that continues I am happy to leave well enough alone.
          Never though in a million years I would still have him with me now so each day's a blessing.

All the best to u all & ur family and fur family for 2015.

Allison, the wee dude & the schnauzer girls xx
          Alfie- 11 1/2yrs. 8kg diagnosed June 2008. Insulin - NPH, Novorapid & Caninsulin - a work in progress! Dx left brain neuro focal lymphoma 4th Dec 2012, still fighting on!.

Comment

Oh Allison! I was so happy to hear your update on everyone! Especially my favorite little wee man in the whole world! I'm sorry he's had a tough time but I'm ever so glad he's hanging in there and having more good days than bad! Honestly, I was half terrified to come on the forum to find bad news about him! After we lost several of the other dogs I had gotten so attached to, I was afraid we'd lose him! It's just so funny how we fall in love with each other's babies here!

Your house sounds a bit like a nursing home, too! Ain't it grand? And three already? Wow...your baby DID grow up!

I'm so delighted that you are all doing so well! Yay!!! Give my little wee dude lots of hugs...and of course, the girls extra goodies! Love and hugs!!!!

Shell and Hank
            Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Great update, Allison, ... a Happy New Year to you, The Alfie, and the rest of your herd!
              Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

its nice the crew is doing well and alfie is holding his own

it really shows a dog does not need great regulation and do well and have a long and happy dogs life
                Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Always love reading Alfie and the gang updates. Happy New Year - here is to 2015 bringing peace and joy!
                  Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

wonderful update on your crew and the wonder dog! I hope you are also doing well Allison. hugs, Judi
                    Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Wow, Allison, that's great news about Alfie! What a trooper that boy is...

Natalie

Comment

Alfie wasn't doing to great last week. Took him to see the vet & it turns out the poor wee soul had some bad teeth.
                        Had him in for dental surgery on Wednesday. 10 teeth taken out

Got him home at 5.30pm on Wednesday evening but by 6.30pm we were back at the vets as he was in a lot of pain & pawing at his wee face. He had an extra shot of string pain killer but and hour later he was back to crying constantly. Was all set to take him to the emergency vet and asked a friend to look after him while I got myself ready. The second I left the room the wee dude stopped crying and the second I was back in the room he started again.

I was being played .........
                        Alfie- 11 1/2yrs. 8kg diagnosed June 2008. Insulin - NPH, Novorapid & Caninsulin - a work in progress! Dx left brain neuro focal lymphoma 4th Dec 2012, still fighting on!.

Comment

poor little guy . he knows how to play his moma
                          Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                          Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

I love him so much. the little con artist.
                            Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Originally posted by diggydog View Post
                              Alfie wasn't doing to great last week. Took him to see the vet & it turns out the poor wee soul had some bad teeth.
                              Had him in for dental surgery on Wednesday. 10 teeth taken out

Got him home at 5.30pm on Wednesday evening but by 6.30pm we were back at the vets as he was in a lot of pain & pawing at his wee face. He had an extra shot of string pain killer but and hour later he was back to crying constantly. Was all set to take him to the emergency vet and asked a friend to look after him while I got myself ready. The second I left the room the wee dude stopped crying and the second I was back in the room he started again.

I was being played .........
                              It happens, The Sonster is was great at that until I busted him while he was doing it. Funny, when he got busted he started wagging his tail, ... like he was laughing at me.
                              Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Hahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!! They are so very smart, aren't they?
                                Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

Working...
                                X