Daisy's Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Daisy's Story

thats does sound like a rough patch . some dog are more difficult than others .

you just keep trying till you find the answer
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

You can figure this out. You know her better than anybody. Go with your gut. What is the reasoning behind getting her on the dog food? Many dogs do just fine on homemade or alternative diets.
      Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

What is the reasoning behind getting her on the dog food?
        The vet said that was why her numbers were so unstable and the Stewbie is different each batch, where the dog food wasn't (Royal Canin). Daisy can't tolerate the Royal Canin at all. Two hours after she would eat the RC she would lay on her side and pant and her breathing was labored. She used to eat Hills before she was diabetic, so I tried to wean her back on that and each time I raised her intake of the dog food by 1/8 cup, her nadir got earlier and earlier and her high numbers kicked in earlier and shot up very quickly, within an hour. So between 1:30 and 2:30, she would jump by 200 points and go up from there. I put her back on nothing but the Stewbie Sunday night.

Monday 6a she was at 175. Monday at 6p 268.

This morning she was at 346 but the good news is she lasted 12 hours and was only at 346. I'll do another curve this weekend to see whether I need to go up or down on her insulin and just keep working this. But one thing I do know is that the dog food isn't working for her at all. I've tried this for 2 months adding the dog food very slowly and she's getting worse.

I know the insulin works. Her nadir has been fairly stabile at 3.5u

I know she's sensitive to the insulin and rebounds on a small increase.

I know the rebound can take several days to adjust.

I know she can't tolerate dog food.

What I'm missing in all this, I don't know.
        Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

Have you been checking supper (6p) fasting? Reason I ask is because you said her sugar rises around 4 or 4:30. My dog does the same, but for some reason then drops again.

His last curve had a nadir around 1:30, started to rise by 2:30, was high by 4:30, then back down by 6:30.

Are the dog foods you're trying all dry kibble? Have you tried can food?
          Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

For the past 6 weekends I've been checking her mostly every hour for about 16 hours straight. Once she's hits her nadir and is on the upswing, she doesn't go down at all.

Honestly, I haven't thought of trying canned dog food, all the food has been kibble. If I don't see any progress by this weekend, that may be another good route to try.

How much canned do you feed Riley?

****UPDATE****
            10/10 430p 159

The last two days are the best she's been in two months.

10/10 6p 329
            She ate a teabag and had the Lipton string hanging out of her mouth though.

10/11 6a 266
            I guess the teabag didn't phase her BS levels.
            Last edited by Daisydog10; 10-11-2017, 03:16 AM.
            Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

I feed Riley 3/4 of a can each meal. That gives him sufficient calories.

The extra moisture is good for them too.
              Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Daisy is back up in the 400's again. Last night I checked her at 730p, an hour and a half after she ate and she was at 75. Double checked again with the AT2 and she was at 95. I fed her a little snack to get her through the night and she was 411 this morning.

I started her on some digestive enzymes and probiotics this morning.

Also putting her food through a food processor and adding a little water.

I'll try giving her insulin about a half hour after she eats and we'll see what that does.

I can't seem to match this up right.

Comment

hi

i wouldnt wait to inject Daisy.s bg will go high
                  adding water changes the amount of food
                  making changes on one readings not good

how much stewie you feeding?

you feeding 1/2 or 3/4 food???

mo
                  Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
                  20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

• Re: Daisy Curve 4/2/17

Originally posted by Daisydog10 View Post
                    Daisy BG went too low so I lowered her dose to just a tad over 5u and we've been on it for over a week. I did a curve on her today with the AT2 to see where we're at:

7am 178 fed 3/4c Ruby Stewbie with a little bit of chicken, 1/16 tsp cinnamon and 20 mcg chromium picolinate sprinkled over food
                    9am 130
                    11am 87
                    1pm 82
                    3pm 95
                    5pm 111
                    7pm 156 - fed as above, injection and nightly walk

She's no longer spiking after meals and hasn't for a week now, so you all were right about her settling in. Her highest level last week was 255.

The 82 kind of scared me. Should I give her just a teeny bit under 5?
                    remember this curve???

good for a mini snauzer

u added chicken here maybe all Daisy needs is adding abit more protein

i remember adding a tablespoon of rice to Riles food worked. brought his bg up
                    20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

also if u think shes lost weight she needs less insulin u think

but change one thing at a time. i.m trying Daisy girl

Comment

Oh, how I wish she was regulated like that again!! She did really well until her last UTI, then that was over. She was on 4.9 units, just a little under 5 units. She's on 3.5 now with her nadir around 110-140.

I measure her food with a food scale before I add a little water. She gets 1 cup of Stewbie.

I was reading Natalie's article on food and insulin and the curve for the food not meeting up with the insulin looked exactly like Daisy's. I've had her on different dog food over the past 2 1/2 months and the more dog food she gets, the earlier her nadir and the earlier she seems to run out of insulin. I'm thinking yes, the food is part of it but it seems like it's her digestion process. She does do better on the homemade food. So what I did (because I'm running out of ideas) I fed her at 6 and gave her insulin at 630. I just checked her and she's at 309, down from 425 at 545p so at least she's processing the insulin a little slower this evening.

I'll try adding her chicken back.

Thanks Mo!!!!!

Comment

good do one change at a time dear. its easier on your Daizy girl. wait do a curve in 7 days. remember. the key to regulation is same food. same amount. same insulin same time.same exercise. do a curve in 7 days.

ur close like before

Comment

I did add a little chicken back to her diet last night and hopefully it will help. Thanks Mo!

We got a low reading of 70 several nights ago so I lowered her insulin to 2.5. Her nadir today was 130 around 1030a and she started to go up around noon. I gave her 1/2 unit with some brown rice and chicken and surprisingly she was only at 336 at 6p. If I could just get the insulin to last a little longer....

Comment

It was mentioned that Daisy may need a snack. Since I leave for work at 730a and her snack needs to be later, I got an automatic dog food feeder that records your voice then spins around so the dog can get the food through the opening. I thought we would do a trial run this evening for her 930 snack, so we sat patiently waiting next to the feeder. She was so funny. At first she didn't know what was going on but now she's hovering over the feeder waiting for it to spin around again so she can get more food.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisydog10 View Post
                                It was mentioned that Daisy may need a snack. Since I leave for work at 730a and her snack needs to be later, I got an automatic dog food feeder that records your voice then spins around so the dog can get the food through the opening. I thought we would do a trial run this evening for her 930 snack, so we sat patiently waiting next to the feeder. She was so funny. At first she didn't know what was going on but now she's hovering over the feeder waiting for it to spin around again so she can get more food.
                                lol add the chicken ... in aday. drop the insulin. in aday.
                                add an automatic feeder. what gets measured for your Daisy girl.

u need to think about her diabetes not games.

snauzers need your attention. your the first here on the forum to regulate your dog😃😃

you cant do a curve with a fun thing dog feeder that doesnt calculate food. how much.

but i love your trying for ur Daisy. i.m laughing. stay true.

same food. same amount. same exercise. same insulin same for 7 days. okay😀

Comment

Working...
                                X