Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Food Do You Feed Your Diabetic Dog?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Food Do You Feed Your Diabetic Dog?

Just learning all about this stuff. Curious as to what food others feed their pup.

Re: What Food Do You Feed Your Diabetic Dog?

I home cook for Mildred. A meal consists of extra lean hamburger (7% fat), pure pumpkin, brown rice, and an egg white. I supplement her daily with a multi vitamin, V-E, salmon oil, and milk thistle. I add liver once a week. Eileen

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

I home cooked for Lady - 99% fat free ground turkey, 96% fat free ground beef, oatmeal, cottage cheese, celery and string beans. She was on a multi vitamin from the pet store - Pet tab. She also got cosequin, milk thistle and fish oil.
      Luv,

Lynne and Angel Lady 7/98-3/09 Forever in my heart

Comment

Chris was put on WD kibble at diagnosis. Then at some point we switched to the Science Diet Lite... as it turned out, there was one ingredient at the time that was in Science Diet Lite but not WD and Chris, who had quite a few allergies, was allergic to it. (Soy as I recall was the offending ingredient.)

So then we switched to Canidae and California Natural canned. Mainly because of Chris' many allergies - these were simple foods with limited exotic ingredients. He also had problems with barley and too much egg.

But to get good balance with his Regular insulin, I cut the canned food half and half with lowfat cottage cheese, which worked really well to slow down his metabolism of the food. He digested canned dog food pretty quickly.

I've seen diabetic dogs eat pretty much everything, from raw, to homecooked, to high-end kibble and canned, to WD... just depends on the dog and to some degree on the insulin.

Jack, our nondiabetic, is eating about 2/3 Orijen chicken kibble, 1/6 Prairie canned chicken and rice (mainly only some cuz it's muy expensive!), and 1/6 lowfat cottage cheese.

Natalie

Comment

See here: http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=240

for an ongoing list of diet/insulin combinations.

Comment

I feed my dog the W/D as the vet recommended. I have looked at the Prescription Diet Light and Blue (I think that is what it is called).

Right now though even though the W/D is expensive my dog seems to be taking well to the diet and insulin dosage i'm giving so as long as things are good I don't want to switch (even if I do think there is better to feed than the W/D).

Hopefully others will post though as I'm curious on this subject as well as what is good to feed a diabetic dog.

Oh, I also have made some bisquits from a recipe online for a diabetic treat (very sparily though and I watch when and how much I give her, it will be better for me on that type of thing once I am home testing on a regular basis as i'm still in the learning phase of that).

Comment

We use Orijen Adult & Nutro Senior, cooked gr. turkey, chopped brocolli, cauliflower or gr. beans
              Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

i'm starting to give homecooked in the morning. ground beef (extra lean), brown rice, green beans, and cottage cheese.

my question is, what supplements do i need? i'm going to continue to feed him either the california natural mixed with wellness core reduced fat kibble or just the wellness kibble mixed with baby food. so, only half of his diet will be homemade.

do i still need to give him a vitamin? i keep seeing where people give milk thistle. i've never heard of it. should i get some? thanks!

Comment

Today Devon eats 1 1/2 c Buffalo Blue Senior dry food and 1/2 can Newman's Organic Chicken or Chicken and Rice, with some flax seed meal thrown in there sometimes. I forget it a lot at breakfast time, I'm not too bright in the morning. Now I have to sprinkle parmesan cheese on it all the time so he eats it.

I have no idea what he will be eating tomorrow. I know what he wants...

Me: Eat this.
                  Him: no. want cheese sandwich.
                  Me: No. Eat this.
                  Him: don't like this. you're mean.

Hope you have better luck. What do you feed your dog?

snow<---person
                  Devon <--mr. cheese sandwich

Comment

Milk thistle is a supplement that helps when dogs have liver problems. I don't know that I would give it as a daily type supplement necessarily.

Will have to see if we can come up with some veterinary advice re home cooking...

Natalie

Comment

same thing that you feed yours except I use buffalo blue weight control instead of senior
                      Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Regarding feeding food...

What do you recommend or do to keep your dog's teeth clean?

Sable use to get milkbones etc. but I try not to give her much of anything besides her normal 2 meals a day and am wondering what I could substitute now and then to help keep her teeth clean and healthy.

Comment

I'm currently feeding Orijen dry food, raw chopped brocolli or green beans or cauliflower and about 1 to 2 teaspoons of brown rice.

She gets a half of a biscuit about 3 hrs after her shot.

Dolly
                          Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

Working...
                          X