Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dozer (Dozer passed away in late January)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dozer Newly Diagnosed Lab

I did rub directly on his gums - got some on my finger & did it 4 times. He is acting fine. It is nearly 90 here today already - I just ran around shutting all the windows & put the air on thinking that may be the issue. 10:19 - I'll go test now.....still E-1..now he ate 2 cups wilderness at 10am - had the maple syrup rub & 1/2 a milkbone ..... now what???

Comment

Sorry - 2 cups of food was at 9:30am not 10

Comment

Seems to me you're doing right - keep us posted - too bad I have nothing to suggest; you're already doing what I would do.

Had you changed Dozer's dose? Raised to 20 units? It might be that his response is trip-related, in the sense that it takes a couple of days to settle after a big change.

Sun, 23 May 2010 08:28:49 (PDT)
        http://www.coherentdog.org/
        CarolW

Comment

Rubbing it into the gums should have helped him the fastest. The food is all going to hit at once so you don't want to give him too much. Did you give him a teaspoon of syrup? Try putting it under his tongue. are you sure this monitor is ok?
          Last edited by peggy0; 05-23-2010, 08:34 AM.
          Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

No I don't think it was even close to a teaspoon ....covered bottle with my finger & rubbed what I got on my finger. For next time, should it be a teaspoon's worth?

Comment

I always used a teaspoon full on Forbin. is he ok? Dehyration can cause hypo as well. If its hot there make sure he's drinking.

Comment

Will remember tsp for next time although I hope I don't have to remember He seems fine - he is drinking -

Just tested again 10:34am....389 - never thought I would be so happy to see a number like that LOL. Now I don't know if it was the syrup - the 1/2 milkbone - the air conditioner on or his food kicking in but happy to get the reading.

Thanks for being there Peggy!! Now - how about his shot - should have had it under normal circumstances at 10am...do I give him normal 20 units now wait a bit not sure what to do

Comment

The sugar can falsley raise his BGs for about an hour. I would wait and then give it to him although with the food he will still be going up. I would much rather him be high than low Lori. His body will probably throw in some cortisol as well to keep it up there. He may be high for a few days but at least he's safe. Don't forget to adjust his evening shot given he's getting this one later. When was the last time he had a curve done? Maybe 20 is a bit too much. I'll dig back into to your posts. Glad he is ok YIPPEE

Comment

Thanks Peggy - did a curve 5/14/10 & upped him from 19 units to 20 on 5/15. I will post the chart in the pictures page for you to look at - from 5/15 when we upped him to just now. I will give him the 20 units at 11:30am (that's another 1/2 hour) & then tonight at 11:30pm. I'll stick him a couple more times this afternoon (poor guy isn't gonna have a lip left!) just to watch the numbers. I think the air on helped (my husband is thrilled - he's been wanting to put the air on for a couple weeks now LOL)

Thanks again though. I'll post again later this afternoon.

Lori

Comment

• Re: Dozer Newly Diagnosed Lab

Lori,

I'm just reading your post now, and I cannot believe it! I started a curve on Ozzi today, and had to stop it because he went hypo on me!! What is going on today with our dogs??? I'll write about Ozzi's experience today in his thread, but wanted to make sure Dozer is okay. Please let us know.

Ozzi hates Karo which I found out the last time he went hypo on me. I also found out it takes a LONG time to get his BG back up (both last time and today). Given my previous experience, I made some adjustments today, and gave him 2 teaspoons of honey, 1/2 can Alpo (since I wanted to get carbs into him and Blue Buffalo is a low carb food), about 5 commercial treats, and three tablespoons of frosting (I know, yuk!). But I really needed to get sugar into him and he wasn't responding as I would have liked.

Anyways, I share your upset!! The only thing I can say is that the first time I panicked myself and ran him to the vet (his BG dropped to 34) and when we got there, it was up to 81. It's a learning experience, and the next time should it happen again, you will be fine.
                      Kevin
                      Ozzi, Dalmatian/Australian Cattle Dog mix, 12/03/1996 - 08/15/2010. Diabetes, blind from cataracts, cauda equina syndrome, and arthritis of the spine and knees. Daddy loves you Ozzi

Comment

Hey Kevin - glad to see Ozzi is doing better! So is Dozer however I am now leaning towards the strips going bad & not a hypo event... On one of the afternoon pokes yesterday I tried a different meter & got a reading of 417 even though my normal meter was reading E-1 error still. I opened a new bottle of strips & have NOT had that error since I plan on calling Accu Check to talk to them about this - if it happens again I'm off that meter! It was weird though cause I stuck myself & got a reading....did a control with the stuff they give you & got a reading- so I don't really understand it. He showed no signs of hypo yesterday and his readings the rest of the day (the few I did cause we had unexpected company show up) were all in his normal range. This morning his fasting reading at 6:50 AM was 280. He is due to eat in 45 minutes & I'll stick him again but he seems good.

Hope Ozzi is feeling better today as well. Uncertaintity is a horrible feeling when you are dealing with the well being of a loved one (human or otherwise). I believed he was going hypo and I was just so unsure of what to do. Thank goodness for this forum and for Peggy being on line - it is so great to have a "Virtual Hand Holder" during times like that!

Comment

Hey Lori,

I'm so happy to hear that Dozer is doing well today! So that's an interesting possibility regarding the strips, and a good thing to keep in mind if it the same thing happens again. I don't know why you would get normal ranges with the controls and with testing on yourself, but get errors with him, but it could be possibly explained by the fact that dogs' red cells are different from ours and the meters are made for humans, so maybe that was a factor. Another reason could be if you didn't get enough of a drop of blood on the strip, but I doubt that happened, since I know you have been doing this for a while! It will be interesting if Accu Check sheds any light on this...let us know!

In the meantime, even if it was a false alarm, YOU experienced a hypo with Dozer, and honestly, it's good to get through the first one! The "practice" makes it easier to deal more calmly with another one if it should happen...sort of like a fire drill!! LOL, but it's true!

I know exactly what you mean by "virtual hand holding," and Peggy is one of the people here whom I rely on, in addition to Patty, Natalie, Carol, Eileen, and many, many others all of whom are great hand holders!!
                          Kevin
                          Last edited by ozzi; 05-24-2010, 07:04 AM.
                          Ozzi, Dalmatian/Australian Cattle Dog mix, 12/03/1996 - 08/15/2010. Diabetes, blind from cataracts, cauda equina syndrome, and arthritis of the spine and knees. Daddy loves you Ozzi

Comment

Glad to hear Dozer is ok and Peggy was here to help, Lori. That's nice you had another meter to compare to later yesterday. I would definitely call Accuchek about the errors if you are getting a reading on another meter and not your current one.

Take care!
                            Patty
                            Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

9:30AM reading was 329 I will certainly post what Accu-Chek has to say re the E-1 errors yesterday.

Comment

So my mother-in-law just sent me a Bayer CONTOUR meter & about 200 strips that don't expire for a year. I just tested Dozer with my normal Accu-Chek meter & the Contour using the same drop of blood. Accu-Chek showed 400 & Contour showed 351. Anyone have any experience with the Contour? 200 test strips is surely making me want to use it but not at Dozers expense if you know what I mean.......I have always used the Accu-Chek so my #'s even if they are off, they are consistent

Thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                                X