Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Here we go again!!!!!!!!

So I ran a curve today on her not so covential day time routine lol

Perfect bowl!! So I guess I’m gonna have to do an all nighter to see how she does with a full 4U and a regular meal though��. Thoughts Jesse Girl??
    6:30. 413. 1/2 sausage treat. 1greenie 2.5u
    8:30. 357
    1030. 225
    12:30. 215
    2:30. 299
    4:30. 354

Comment

Yep I did some all nighters

Curve looks good .You getting close to going with a quarter to half unit increases so not to upset the balance of the curve

Doing good sandy . Stay consistent with what you do and only make one change at a time

Your at safe level so no reason to be impatient
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Thanks!!!! You validated EXACTLY what I was thinking!!
        Fed dinner 1/2 hr early and she was 390. Fed normal dinner and gave 4U. Going continue the curve for as long as I can tonight.... I知 NOT a night owl by ANY means!! Lol. I have a feeling I値l have to raise her pm dose slightly and hopefully she値l hit the bottom of the bowl at midnight tonight. Fingers crossed!! I値l let you know what I get!!
        Thanks for your input!!!!

Comment

So the night Time curve doesn’t look as pretty. Let me mention she’s 16lbs... her meal is 1/3 c kibble soaked in chicken stock , 1/3 c boiled chicken, 1 tsp Metamucil
          6:00 390. Fed and 4U
          8:00. 269
          10:00. 387
          12:00. 392
          2:00. 490
          4:00. 460
          I’m sure she’ll be in the low 400’s at 6 for her morning dose

I really don’t think it’s just food got ahead of the insulin, it’s just not enough... raising 1/2 unit for her dinner injection tonight

Comment

I think it just takes time . jesse 6 hours after eating vomited and her food wasn't even digested yet so the belief that food in dogs have much of an affect on blood sugar in the beginning may not really apply . I think for dogs they just have a reaction to injected human insulin and the body needs to adapt . Its nothing like he natural process of calling up insulin or sugar on demand . Its a time lapse system now

you could be at it for months till you get to a point that you are satisfied . jesse always had better sugar with the dose without the meal . Her regulation is from 100 to 250 on average

great job sandy on the night time curve . Its nice to know how things are going . so the goal would be to reduce the fasting number slowly over time .
            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

Thanks.... I’ll personally be happy with a 300’s fasting Just want to get her out of the 400’s. Gave her a smig more this morning... not quite 1/4 more. And I’ll increase 1/2 u tonight. Tiggy was soooi much easier hahahaha

Comment

As you remember all dogs are different and comparing one to the other usually doesnt work out

You will get their sandy . You have got through maybe more than half the battle this early on . Thats pretty good for most

If you do see higher numbers with a larger dose than you may want to re calibrate a bit and slow down adjustments higher and may even need to reduce to see if you passed what was needed or accepted

for Jesse i cant give her more than 3 units . Injected insulin is just to hard on her . It was very difficult to regulate her . The one meal was a last ditch effort for her and it worked . Oh I was so thankful . It took us 6 months to figure out . There were times i would give her one unit and that could be to much

I had to give her spoonfuls of honey to keep her sugar up . IT was brutal and nobody could help me with an answer . when i came up with this new routine natalie and patty said go for it and we did and I appreciated there support

You may see what your looking for in a month or 6 months just go with the flow of sugar . Use your good common sense you have . Many times its more of an art than science during regulation

almost everyone gets to a place that the caretaker is satisfied with and the dog lives a normal happy life with some limitations

Comment

So far so good with my slight increases. Much lower fasting numbers ... mid and lower 300’s. With numerous spot checks in the upper 200’s to low 300’s. Slow and steady we go!!

Jesse girl you’ve been a life saver for me with this one lol. I NEVER would have considered that it was fine giving just one meal.... totally against all the RULES... but you have the tract record to prove it can be done!����

Comment

great work sandy . Yes slow and steady wins the race

I am glad jesses routine was helpful for you 2 . Hope things continue to improve

The approach to K9 diabeties has changed quite a bit since jesses diagnosis and its from the caretakers in the trenches and forums like this which move the needle

Comment

I'm following your story, just have nothing to add. You and Jesse Girl are far outside my experience. But I'm so glad you have expert advice from someone who has been there!

Keep up the good work!
                      Ruffles May 1997~~12/6/2010~~She was "a heartbeat at our feet"~~
                      Izzy--BD unknown;~~ RIP 7/13/2013 ~~; she was a sweet Yorkie spirit and we miss her
                      Bella--Yorkie rescue; BD 9/2013 +/-; RIP 5/2015
                      Ruby--senior Yorkiepoo foster

Comment

We’re still status quo but I’m sure things are gonna change here soon lol. Andie had her dental yesterday with three teeth removed... cute little snagged tooth now. She’s on antibiotics for a week so we know how that messes stuff up and I got a prescription for Entyce for her. She started snubbing her nose at her usual treats in the morning but will eventually eat enough of them for me to give her some insulin. Gonna wait till everything settles down and off antibiotics and do another curve. Fasting numbers are consistent morning and night so I must be doing something right lol. We’re still in the low to mid 300’s with those but she seems to be doing fine with that. Just have to keep reminding myself slow and steady

Comment

Hi MaryLea!!!! Long time no see!! Hope you and your babies are doing well!!

Comment

Just be aware that treats like chicken or meat, etc have no real carb content, so the insulin could cause sugar to go lower than you like. When she doesn't eat give her carb treats, dog biscuits are a good choice as they are usually made from a grain or veggies.
                            Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Originally posted by Raysaint View Post
                              Just be aware that treats like chicken or meat, etc have no real carb content, so the insulin could cause sugar to go lower than you like. When she doesn't eat give her carb treats, dog biscuits are a good choice as they are usually made from a grain or veggies.
                              Raysaint this is my 2nd sugarbaby....I managed my 1st girl for 8 healthy years!!! Believe me, when it comes to managing this in the normal textbook way with 2 meals a day I can do it blind folded lol. This one is not a morning girl so I知 trying Jessiegirls method.... but thanks for the cautionary note

Comment

Working...
                              X