View Single Post
Old 04-07-2015, 05:25 PM

Default Re: Understanding Pepper's Juvenile Diabetes

It is believed that Pepper was found as one of two abandoned puppies of a stray. We know very little about her but believe her birthday is the end of November 2014. Our family adopted Ms. Pepper Potts in February 2015. We believed at the time she was a German Shepherd mix, with resemblances to Belgian Malinois and Black Cur. At four and a half months old she is much to small to be ANY of these breeds so the mystery remains. Pepper did great the first week or so at our house. It was the second and third weeks that we started to see her eating less and less and was not puppy like, active, playful, or energetic. We consulted with our vet about her food and tried a few samples to see if she liked a different brand. After a week of her not eating more than a 1/4 cup twice a day we went back to our vet. She was HORRIBLY thin and lethargic. Pepper was admitted for testing and once juvenile diabetes was diagnosed she stayed for treatment and further monitoring. Our vet, though experienced and recognized, had never before seen a case of juvenile diabetes. Let the learning begin!!!!

Today we struggle with a few things. The first is frustrating for me and that is potty training!!!! She urinates in the house all day long and in her kennel all night long. I know that diabetes causes her to drink more and have more frequent urine output but I really need her to go outside! The second is her eating. She eats like a queen but does not seem interested half of the time. For example, last week she ate every meal and left very little in her bowl (1 to 1 1/4 cup dry food moistened with chicken broth on top of cheese). This week, however, I cannot get her to eat more than 1/4 cup of her food at a time. In the past I have limited her food to just 8am and 8pm but when she is not eating that seems to make matters worse. She is a tiny thing so when she stops eating it is very apparent! The third and final concern is her high blood sugar. We test once a week and cannot get her blood sugar under 500. Last week we increased her insulin from 1 to 2 units twice a day and I am assuming we will increase it again this week. I am waiting for a call from the vet now.

I love how cuddly our Pepper is but would love to see her as a happy, healthy, playful, energetic puppy again. I know the diabetes will not go away but to get her blood sugar under control and her eating habits regulated would be outstanding!!!