• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your dog's diet, insulin, and meter used

Name: Tori, Scottish Terrier
    Weight:25 lbs.
    Just diagnosed a week ago
    Novolin N, 13 units twice a day.
    Last edited by Tori; 01-31-2010, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Name : Frankie

Breed : Dachshund
      Diagnosed : in October by urine and blood test

Weight : 21 lbs.

Diet : Hill's W/d
      Snacks: green beans, califlower, and baby carrots. Sometimes get some beef (cooked, no seasoning).

Insulin : vetsulin twice a day 14 units now.

Meter : I have the alphatrak and do curve about every 10 days.

His diabetes is not in full control yet, but almost there I believe.
      Sometimes his glucose level peaks higher than 500 right before the injection.

Comment

Name: Tabatha
        Breed: Yorkie
        Weight: 12 pounds
        Food: WD and carrots for snacks.

Tabatha has had diabetes for about 5 years now. First year she lost her sight and we had surgery done on her eyes. HER SIGHT IS GOOD NOW. She was on Vetsulin for 5 years until just recently. I posted her experience on this site. Right now she has been changed to Hummulin N. She was started out at 7 units 2X aday.But that is to high now. Yesterday We went to the vet and while we were there she became hypoglycemic. (27) ended up with food, sugar water anything to get her blood suger up. So, now I'm doing her blood sugar testing and calling the vet to report the numbers. So now we are working on the dosage. I found taking blood from her arm is much easier then getting it from her ear. Hopfully things will get better. I will do what ever needs to be done to keep her healthy.

Comment

My greyhound is also hypoglycemic and I take blood from the paw, it seems to be easier for both of us

Comment

Where on the paw do you take it. I take it on busters callous on his elbow but I would like another spot since I think he gets sore there.

Comment

Dog's name: Chuy
              Sex: Female
              Breed: Chow Mix (but looks like a small dingo)
              Dog's weight: 28 lbs currently (was 34 lbs about 3 months ago before being diagnosed)
              Diet: 1/2 cup Iams Proactive dry (with a little bit of Iams canned wet) 2x daily
              Insulin: Just switched to Humulin N (Vetsulin results were extremely inconsistent, and we recently switched due to the Vetsulin FDA alert)
              Units per injection: started at 3.0 units, slowing increasing by 0.5, currently at 5.0 units
              Injections per day: 2
              Brand of BG meter if home testing: True Track (primary), and Bayer Breeze 2 (backup)
              Test location: carpal pad. I found this web page which shows the procedure (http://www.caninediabetes.org/tuggerblood.html)
              Date Diagnosed with Diabetes: 12/07/2009

Her glucose levels are not under control yet (wide glucose range throughout the day, highs 300-400+ mg/dL, lows 150), but we are only 1 month into treatment (1 week on Humulin N). We have no issues with Hypoglycemia. However, the problem is Chuy has extreme anxiety when I take her blood. I have recorded multiple glucose readings (5 minutes apart) where her Glucose level spikes as much as 150 points on the first reading (300-500s), then drops dramatically on subsequent tests shortly after... This is causing me some difficultly getting trustable glucose curves. For the first few weeks on insulin (Vetsulin), I actually thought she was having severe Somogyi rebound day after day, but now know that the glucose spikes are most likely from anxiety. Also, the Vetsulin could have also been the cause as the results were very similar to the Vetsulin FDA warning.

Has anyone else seen or her of this before? My vet says it's possible but highly unlikely to have such a large glucose, adrenalin jump due to anxiety... but my dog is rather emotional.
              Last edited by jbyork; 01-15-2010, 06:32 PM. Reason: Added info
              Chuy, 15 years old, 27 lbs, diagnosed Nov 2009, 4 units Humulin N 2x per day, w/ arthritis & doggie dementia

Comment

I switched to NHP for buster and so far he has been doing great. He went from 16 units on vetsulin to 14 1/2 NPH.

Comment

Bear
                  Rotti x Lab
                  6yo
                  52kg
                  Accu-chek meter
                  Diagnosed 9/11/09
                  Caninsulin 20u am and 26u pm

3 cups Hills WD Bisc, 2 cups steamed veges (broccoli, green beans, pumpkin, sweet potato, cabbage, mushrooms), 1 sardine in mineral water with Chinese herbs) and minerals - twice per day.
                  Bowen therapy and acupuncture.

Check BG twice per day on calous on legs. Do blood curves when necessary or extra checks when worried.

Cheers, Sandra and Bear
                  xxx

Comment

Dogs Name: Bogey

Breed: Dalmatian

Weight: 81 lbs.

Diet: Merrick Dry Food (usually Grammys Pot Pie, Turducken or
                    Cowboy Cookout), canned merrick food (low glycemic), cottage
                    cheese, or will add a ground turkey, barley and green bean
                    squash mixture in place of canned.

Treats: Squash

Insulin: Humulin NPH

# of Units: 24ux2

Meter: Accuchek Aviva
                    Test on the inner lip
                    Last edited by bogeysmom; 02-01-2010, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Ibe is now on the insulin, started 9 units, now up to 11, his bg is in the 400s, very high, do not know what to do except curves and keep trying to regulate it. He is a 7 yr old greyhound, ground turkey, vegies, Evo.

Comment

Dog's name: Gypsy Belle
                        Breed: Australian Smokey Kelpie (Kelpie x Australian Blue Heeler)
                        Dog's weight: Currently 21.5kg. Was 23.9kg on Jan 29 2010(diagnosed). Before getting sick always maintained 19-20kg.
                        Diet: Morning- 350g (Half of the 700g can) of Advance Pet Nutrition Adult All Breed Chicken and Rice.

Night- Other half of the same can as morning.

Snacks/Treats- 1x Natures Gift Mini Treat as I give morning Insulin

Also some Julienne Carrots 2 or 3 for being such a good girl. I use the frozen Vegies as its hot here and Gyp has always loved frozen Vegies.

Insulin: Caninsulin 27 units, currently 30 units.

Injections per day: 1

BG Meter- None at this stage, we are only 2 weeks in.

Date Diagnosed with Diabetes: 29/01/2010
                        Gypsy Belle born January 2000 Australian Smokey Kelpie (Kelpie X Blue Heeler) Weighs in at 20 kilos. Before desexing 33 units caninsulin once daily, after desexing..wait for it, wait for it....0 units?? Half can Advance morning and night. Diagnosed Jan 2010, off insulin May 2010

Comment

Woody is a 10 y o female black lab / golden retriever mix.
                          Before the onset of diabetes (Dec. 2010) she weighed just around 100 lbs. She now weighs about 93. We feed her 2 cups of Purina One Adult Lamb/Rice with about 4 oz. of diced chicken breast X 2
                          Her insulin is Humulin N
                          Right now her dosage is 23.5U X 2
                          Her 14 day BG avg. is over 400
                          We use an AlphaTrak meter
                          Her BG is rarely under 300
                          I have raised her dosage to 23.5U I have just recorded only her second reading below 250 since onset.
                          Does it normally take this long to get regulated?
                          I have read about Somoygi and I am worried that I may be causing that by giving her that much insulin

contact me with your comments PeteandWoody

Comment

Dog's Name: Gretel
                            Breed: Miniature Schnauzer
                            Current weight: 18.8 lbs.
                            Weight when diagnosed: 17.5 lbs.
                            Average weight: 20 lbs.
                            Diagnosed with diabetes 1/21/10

Insulin: NPH - currently at 9 units twice a day

Food: w/d canned and dry mixed
                            1/2 can and 2/3 cup dry at 6:30am and 6:30pm

Treats: Hill's Veterinary Treat (compatible with w/d dog food)
                            She gets one small treat after her morning and evening injection

Still working on getting regulated. Not yet doing home testing.
                            Carolyn & Gretel - 12 yr. old mini-schnauzer - diag. Jan 2010 - lost her courageous battle with multiple issues on Feb. 17, 2014. So sadly missed by her family.

Comment

Name: Noodle
                              Sex: Male
                              Breed: Lab Mix
                              Weight: 52lbs (trying to put a few back on)
                              Diet: 1 1/2 Cups Blue Buffalo Dry - AM & PM
                              Treats: Newman's (the little cheese flavor hearts - after injections), Blue Buffalo Health Bars (bacon, egg, & cheese flavor) & Big Bark Bakery Bare Bones (oatmeal cinnamon flavor) as carb treats before walks or if he's running low, Cucumber Chunks
                              Insulin: Humulin N
                              Injections: 30 Units - AM & PM
                              Meters: TrueTrack & OneTouch UltraMini

Noodle is well regulated but needs to put a few pounds back on. We are going to try adding some canned Blue Buffalo to each meal.
                              Daisy & Noodle - 9 yr old Lab mix dx 1/09 ~ 51lbs ~ 38U Humulin N, 2x ~ 1 3/4 cups am/pm Blue Buffalo dry, 1/4 can am/pm BB Wilderness.

Comment

Name: Tucker
                                Sex: Male
                                Breed: Basset Hound
                                Weight: 100 LBS.
                                Diet: 1 1/2 Cups of Homemade (Chicken,Lean Ground Turkey,Rice and Peas - AM & PM
                                Treatsried Chicken from Wal-Mart Pet Dept
                                Insulin: Vetsulin
                                Injections: 10 Units - AM & PM
                                Meters: Accu Check

I just got Tucker to eat solid food yesterday and today he's giving me issues...His Levels are all over the place and trying my best..It's been 6 days since his diagnosis and have another Vet appt on Thursday to update vet on levels...I hope we discuss curves and possibly increase his injection...I always check his levels before giving insulin and what scares me is that his levels are so high like an 1-2 hour before 2nd injection...366-463 and that scares me....I need him regulated quick....Any advice anyone?

Comment

Working...
                                X