View Single Post
Old 03-14-2018, 01:16 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: My dog Charlie was just diagnosed with Diabetes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgregj View Post
I'm having a hard time coping with Charlie's diabetes. The time commitment and injections are overwhelming. I've never been a fan of needles myself so having to poke him all the time is really hard. I bought the autoject 2 to see if he can get used to that, but we are still in the training phase of him even getting comfortable with that thing close to his body, he just barks haha. I might try the inject-ease if he cant get comfortable with the louder sound of the autoject.

I have also not been able to do any home blood tests, the vet told me to do it on his ear or paw and I just cant get enough blood or at all to get a test. So I did buy some urine test strips to test for glucose and keotones. I know its not nearly as accurate, but its something.

This is taking a toll on us as I am sure it has for a lot of other people first introduced to this with their dog. The stress and anxiety with injections is tough, I feel like I live injection to injection.
Yep thats normal in the beginning but as time moves forward it becomes the new normal . The thing about diabetes in dogs in a way its a gift to a caretaker with little medical knowledge because it introduces this knowledge to this individual that they may have never acquired

It has opened my eyes to things i would have never thought i could do . I ask questions about jesses care and dont take a professionals opinion as gold as i use to . I am also the same way for myself questioning medical treatment if necessary or not . My doctor wanted to put me on 3 different medications based on blood and urine test . I said lets try diet and she said ok and i am not on any medication at this rime ( knock on wood ) . I am sure if jesse wasnt here i would be on those medications and at worse may not be here

So for me i dont look at this as a terrible thing that inconveniences me and my life but in a way a gift from jesse sacrificing her normal life to make me better
Jesse-26 lbs - 15.5 years old - 10 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number