View Single Post
Old 06-20-2018, 06:17 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: Newly diabetic and insulin doesn't seem to be helping

hi and welcome

my jesse is also a beagle and was diagnosed over 8 years ago

My jesse eats just one meal a day too and that is not the norm . Now it does work for jesse but i actually give her 3 shots of NPH insulin

Caninsulin was originally designed as a once a day insulin but in most cases that does not work . What your doing different is giving one meal and maybe that could work if you attain a dose that may carry for the entire 24 hour period . I thought it could possibly be done with one meal and one shot especially with long acting human insulin's like levemir . My jesse would only max out at about 18 hours on NPH with one shot so that was not going to work for jesse

Her routine i give her dinner and half her shot at 5:30 pm then i give her the other half of insulin at 7:30 pm . I split her dose for particular reasons . At 7:30 am i give her a reduced shot and a small milk bone snack and that has worked for her for 8 years . Her total amount of insulin is 7 to 9 units and she weighs 26 pounds . Thats on the low side for dogs

After a month on insulin we usually see the diabetic symptoms go away even if the numbers are still kind of high .

A single dose may or may not work with one meal and shot . most do 2 shots and 2 meals that did not work for my jesse and she was difficult to regulate taking almost 6 months to become stable with her routine and sugar

If the one shot has to be changed to 2 you could do something like jesse and give a smaller shot and a snack to carry her through to dinner

My jesse is also 13 years old . beagles are easy to test sugar at least jesse was . I use her inner lip above the canine tooth . No pain and no hair . i have probably tested there 10,000 times or more with no problems . Now a dog can be scared of the spring action of the lance device so doing some practice tests to get your dog use to it is helpful . Beagles have big lips so lots of area to test . The home testing is what will help immensely.
Jesse-26 lbs - 15.5 years old - 10 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number