View Single Post
Old 06-18-2011, 08:48 AM

Default Re: Abby Diagnosed about 4 weeks ago

Welcome!

I cannot help you with the cushings items (there are others that will reply).

You are very wise to want to start to home test. Many here use the One Touch Ultra2 meter (it's what I use on my two sugar babies). Save money by buying the strips etc on Ebay (just watch the expiration date). I test my pups on the upper lip, but some test on the base of the tail, the ear, calluses etc. There are videos on the main page of this site to show you how to go about testing.

I cannot attest to the diet you are giving Abby, but can tell you that carrots are high in sugar - my opinion is to avoid them. Also important with diet is to give the same thing each day at each feeding. It sounds to me like she is getting different food and amounts in the a.m. and p.m. I would recommend making it the exact same for now until you get a handle on things - then make small changes - only one at a time.

I'm sure others will chime in - but I do want to welcome you and to tell you that you have come to the right place! Lots of knowledge here!

Tami, Sydney and Soaphie
Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.