Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long has your dog lived with diabetes so far (Jan 2018)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long has your dog lived with diabetes so far (Jan 2018)

Long overdue for a new poll to celebrate milestones in our dogs' life with diabetes.

Please respond even if your dog has passed on, as our Chris has, with the number of years they lived with it.

The poll also allows more than one entry per person for those of you blessed with more than one sugar dog!

Natalie
    Less than six months
    0%
    Six months to twelve months
    0%
    More than 1 year, less than 2
    0%
    More than 2 years, less than 3
    0%
    More than 3 years, less than 4
    0%
    More than 4 years, less than 5
    0%
    More than 5 years, less than 6
    0%
    More than 6 years, less than 7
    0%
    More than 7 years, less than 8
    0%
    8 years or longer - LOVE THIS
    0%

Re: How long has your dog lived with diabetes so far (Jan 2018)

Chris missed 5 years by just a month.

Comment

Mine passed away within 2 weeks of getting diagnosed. It wasn't the diabetes that took him but all the complications that came with it (DKA, pancreatitis, infections...etc). I feel guilty because if he was diagnosed earlier, he might have been saved but we waited until we saw absolute symptoms which probably meant he was nearing the end by the time we noticed it.

I already have another dog who is as health as it gets, but I'll definitely get her checked to see if she has anything. I don't want to wait for the obvious symptoms to show up and it be too late. Besides that, I don't plan on getting another dog for a long, long time, if ever since I proved that I don't deserve the unconditional love and loyalty of a dog.

Comment

Since so few had a chance to respond to this when it was originally posted in January, I'm just bringing it forward.

If you haven't already responded, please do, and for those of us who have lost our sweet diabetic pups, please choose how long they had it.

Natalie

Comment

It’s been just an under a year for us. Lucy was diagnosed January 30, 2018. I feel like every time I get into a good groove something happens (a limp, ear infection, tooth removal and infection etc...) so I’m reluctant to tempt fate here... but currently we’re in a good groove.

Comment

Aw... I know what you mean. But it can help, I think, to realize that you're working with an incredibly sensitive, complicated body system that has connections to just about everything else. It's kind of amazing that a couple of shots of insulin and a diet work as well as they do.

I often wished blood sugar / insulin / food was like a thermostat and you could just set it and forget it. But man, it is soooo not! You can kind of get used to change being normal.

Natalie

Comment

Jesse has now entered her 10th year . She was a young dog at 5.5 years when she contracted the disease . This was a learning experience and what i heard from the professionals in the beginning was substandard at that time . the forum got me and jesse on track to take on the challenge and glad we stepped up . It was not easy and very scary . You settle into a new normal dogs life and its as enjoyable as any dogs life .
              Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
              Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Working...
              X