Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for past and present Levemir users

Hi,

Quick ??, I refilled my Levemir and this morning was going to use it but when I opened the box to remove the vial it was...

1, upside down.

2, It had large bubbles in the top of the vial.

There was no froth the solution is clear and the cap is on tightly. I chose not to use it this am because it is Sunday and there is no one to call and the pharmacist I really trust the most is off today so I decided to continue using my old bottle of Levemir.

I am going to call Levemir customer service tomorrow morning and ask them but the insert didn't say anything about bubbles, it only tells you it should only be used if the solution is clear and colorless. My concern is it may have been shaken at one point possibly causing damage to the insulin.

So my question is?? Has anyone ever had a bottle full of bubbles prior to opening it and if so did you notice any difference in your pups BG numbers.

I don't ever remember having a bottle full of bubbles like this in the past...

Thanks for your help,
    Dawn
    Last edited by BogiesMom; 07-28-2013, 10:36 AM.
    Bogie is a 8 year old 24 pound Miniture Schnauzer, Dx on 08/24/12. Home cooked diet formulated by Just Food For Dogs, Switching from Levemir to Vetsulin.

Re: Question for past and present Levemir users

Dawn,
    I never noticed bubbles. Would have done the same as you did and erred on the side of caution though and not used it. Hopefully the pharmacy will simply exchange the vial for you.

Have you ever looked into using the pens now that Bogie is on such a low dose of levemir? I know they are more costly upfront but wonder if they would last longer than the vial does for you - giving you more bang for your buck in the long run?

We started with the vial knowing Decker was going to need a lot of insulin when he started. Just stayed with it out of routine after that. But did have someone donate a pen. From what we noted with the pen there was no difference in how it worked for Decker.

Hope the old vial works ok until you are able to get things sorted out. You do such a wonderful job with Bogie!
    Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

I agree that caution is better than forging on ahead! However, I would suggest you use the pens if the dosage isn't as large. As I've suggested to someone else, the pens can be had at Walgreen's for about 250 BUT if you get the prescription savings club for the dog ($20 for a year), they take about 75 off that cost! It ends up being about the same as humulin since you can use the levemir for 42 days before discarding. My pharmacist actually suggested the savings plan, thank goodness! She said, boy, that's expensive, did you know that if you get the plan, you can save lots? lol Love them! Hugs!
      Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Thank you Holli and Shellie,
        I do find it odd to have large bubbles... Yes, I want to use the pens, in fact I bet it is cheaper in the long run. I just payed $171.00 for my vial of Levemir (It should come with insurance) it just went up in price plus we now pay tax in Ca on canine products
        at pharmacys
        I am going to go to Walgreens and get a member card... What a great idea!!! and next time I see my vet I am going to tell her to prescribe the pens, at least with them you have back up if one breaks (God forbid)
        I'm going to go to my pharmacy tomorrow as well as call the Levemir customer number and ask about the bubble and hopefully be able to exchange my vial of gold, I mean Levemir LOL. I will be sure to let everyone know what answers I get from both.
        Thank you again for your help...
        Dawn
        Bogie is a 8 year old 24 pound Miniture Schnauzer, Dx on 08/24/12. Home cooked diet formulated by Just Food For Dogs, Switching from Levemir to Vetsulin.

Comment

Hi,

I spoke with the Levemir people this morning but they weren't much help... The lady was pretty much reading off of a script on her computer. She knew I was not comfortable with the current vial so she is mailing a replacement to my pharmacy to be exchanged with the vial I currently have but it will take 3 to 5 business days to arrive.

Sooooo....

I went to my pharmacy which I should have done first, my trusted pharmacist said the bubbles shouldn't make a difference, it is the color that matters but she will exchange my vial for new one. It has to be ordered and will be in tomorrow.

So all in all, I am erring on the safe side... I should have gone to my pharmacist first and then called the company last if I wasn't able to make the exchange with my pharmacy.

Lesson learned... Always look at the vial prior to leaving the pharmacy!!! to avoid these problems

Here is a pic of the bottle...

Last edited by BogiesMom; 07-29-2013, 10:03 AM. Reason: Added photo

Comment

I just wanted to mention that Levemir is included under the NACO prescription discount program that was mentioned on another thread. See if your county participates:

http://www.nacorx.org/pet-medications
            Linda & Lucy, 10+ years, spaniel cross, 50lb, diagnosed 6/26/13

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy10 View Post
              I just wanted to mention that Levemir is included under the NACO prescription discount program that was mentioned on another thread. See if your county participates:

http://www.nacorx.org/pet-medications
              Thank you but my County doesn't participate

Comment

That is a LOT of bubbles in the picture! Glad the pharmacy is willing to exchange it and that you don't have too long of a wait.

Thanks Shellie for the Walgreens tip too! I never knew about that. Given the cost of levemir, it's great to know that a program like that exists.
                Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Working...
                X