Probiotics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probiotics

My vet has suggested that we add probiotics to Louies food because he's had some gas issues lately. I have been doing research online and there are so many. Does anyone have a recommendation for one that they use. Thanks.

Re: Probiotics

https://naturesfarmacy.com/canine/pr...-enhancer.html

jesse uses this . now it can speed up digestion and affect blood sugar so just to keep that in mind
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

We use Purina FortiFlora. It's a little pricey, but works.

I buy it online from chewy.com

https://www.chewy.com/purina-pro-pla...diets/dp/50029
      Last edited by MikeMurphy; 02-18-2017, 05:53 PM.
      Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
      Diabetes: Aug 2013
      Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
      Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

Abby was on a probiotic. I found that she would throw some wild curves depending upon the probiotic. I ended up with animal essentials which was a plant base, and did not affect her.

How is Louie doing...he is such a special boy

Barb
        Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

We use VetriScience Mega Probiotic. Jinx took them for a while and I didn't notice anything unusual with her BG. Azodyl, a kidney supplement, was the only thing she took that caused a noticeable trend of higher BG.

Wow, didn't realize how old this was.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeMurphy View Post
            We use Purina FortiFlora. It's a little pricey, but works.

I buy it online from chewy.com

https://www.chewy.com/purina-pro-pla...diets/dp/50029
            +1 for FortiFlora. I actually vary between three brands daily, but FortiFlora is given typically twice a week. FortiFlora comes in individual packets that I guess are typical doses. Because Annie is a smaller dog, I divide the packet in half and serve it with her breakfast two days in a row. There SEEMS to be something in it that she really likes, and she generally eats the meal without stopping.

Before starting the probiotics, she could clear a room with her gas! Her gas ended with the probiotics: worth every penny!

Craig
            Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9˝ years.

Comment

This thread is a bit dated but...

Both Scooter and I take a probiotic every three days or so. We use a brand called Puritan's Pride #1540 Acidophilus Plus. They are very inexpensive and are often on sale anyway. About $5 a bottle of 100 capsules. PP is a large mail order shop that's been around for many years. Very reputable company.

I pull the capsule apart and dump the powder into his food.

Which ever you buy, keep them in the fridge and they will stay fresher longer.
              Last edited by Scooterspal; 12-13-2017, 04:23 AM.
              Diagnosed 9/15/17. A 17 lb. terrier mutt, 15 years old. My bestest friend. Novolin N 6U, Novolin R 3U, 2X/day. Cesar Classics 3.5 oz. packets w/ 4 tbsps of old fashion Quaker Oats, 2x day. Probiotic every 3 or 4 days. Omega 3, two 300 mg. capsules 1X/day for skin. Occuguard Plus, Billberry, Lutein, Vit E, Vit C every meal for eyes.

Comment

Working...
              X