View Single Post
Old 06-20-2018, 08:54 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: Diabetic dog with no appetite- HELP!

As a dog gets older their eating habits may change

Now there are complications that can occur from diabetes and pancreatitis is one of them . Lack of appetite can point to a symptom and early stages There is a simple test that can be done at the vet to diagnose

An abrupt change in appetite may say your dog has some digestive upset . Beagles from what i see like to eat and more is usually better

So if its just temporary you can still modify the diet and feed less in the morning . For me i dont like forcing a dog to eat that doesnt want to as something is not feeling good in the belly . If you are seeing maybe an onset to pancreatitis catching it early is beneficial and restricting food intake can be important

If you testing sugar at home you would be able to see if higher or lower sugar may contribute to the problem but since your dog has been regulated that probably isnt a factor
Jesse-26 lbs - 15.5 years old - 10 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number