New member Snowball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New member Snowball

I think you can say snowballs curve is established with a drop after insulin and food and its a pretty good drop on most occasions

My jesse had a similar problem and it was difficult to figure out what would work. What was problematic was the drop and we needed to solve that to get jesse regulated . I tried different highly digestible carbs and even honey to slow that drop with limited success . I ended up delaying her shot by a half hour to an hour after eating which had limited success

What i ended up doing was splitting her dose half with dinner and the other half 2 hours later which made a big difference . I think the problem with jesse she just could not handle one larger dose . It just was hard on her and its possible her body is not completely comfortable with humane insulin but in smaller doses she was ok . Now this is just a theory of mine what works for jesse may not work for any other dog . She does have a unique routine .

Can you correlate any of the physical symptoms with levels in blood sugar ?
    Does snowball feel better when sugar was lower?

There was a small dog on here i think his name was alfie who never had very good regulation but lived a happy dogs life without any physical symptoms that limited him from running around being a dog

How is appetite ? are stools good . You said you picked snowball up and she cried may showing there could be some abdomen pain but also that could be spinal pain

There is a big difference in symptoms of weakness and pain . As I suggested abdomen pain can be a symptom of pancreatitis which is very painful and life threatening not sure if you dog has had it for as long as your dog has showed symptoms . I am not sure a dog could survive with the disease for months on end and not go into crisis but who knows for sure . Some dogs showed minor symptoms and still were diagnosed with pancreatitis . It also would create unstable blood sugar

It appears reductions in the dose keeps levels about the same so i think you have to figure out how to solve whats problematic which is the drop after insulin either by dosing or food or a combination of both . Like i said jesse food had limited success and the variables are difficult to control with just food alone but many have done well just adding something to the diet which helped
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Appetite is very good. She eats like an animal. I can not correlate the weakness with the blood sugar. Earlier this morning she stood up and walked a bit and walked over to her bowl and drank some water. I took her out a little after and I could get her to stand, but she wouldn't go. The problem now is I know she has to pee and poop but she won't do it.

The curve below is when she acted the best I would say. At least till around 1pm. I'd like to be able to get the numbers down more.

Oct 3rd
      620am 288
      9am 124 3.5 units given at 7am
      11:10AM 194
      1:19PM 285
      4PM 339
      6:36PM 398
      9PM 374 3.5U given at 7pm

Comment

415 at 1220pm

Comment

I got her to pee finally. I think first time since 2:30am last night. I tried to express the bladder as I read about online, but I think she finally just peed to get me to stop that. I then put her on the piece of grass at the office here where she usually poops and she did her usually walking looking for the right spot although I had to pick her up a number of times when she fell over. She finally found the right spot and got some poop out. I'm not sure if it all came out, but a decent amount came out. I noticed it was relatively hard though.

I was thinking, what if I keep her at say 2units for the night injection and bump the morning injection to 2.5u or 3units? As I said above, when teh stuff went down on that day, she was almost like our usual snowball.

Comment

very odd and snowball is something i have not seen on the forum with the symptoms you describe maybe some are similar but the overall symptoms in totality seems odd and may point to something outside of diabetes but its possible diabetes may aggravate it

Its possible there is multiple challenges going on . My jesse had 6 challenges to deal with early in her diagnosis but blood work was able to identify 5 of the 6 and treat accordingly .

you have been testing for a while and you should be getting a feel for snowballs pattern and fluctuations it seems fairly predictable which is good

It doesnt seem like you are seeing big thirst and excessive urination which is a sign of high sugar and the body trying to get rid of

You may need a second opinion from another vet on what is happening with physical symptoms you are seeing probably wont get much more help with diabetes that you are all ready doing . I think you have a much better understanding and how to explain to a vet which may give clues on what is going on
            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
            Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Sometimes different doses don't work because the body can't adjust to the changes quickly or on a regular basis.
              Tried it with my dog, fed 2 different food amounts morning and supper, with 2 different insulin doses, things didn't improve.
              Seems the body needs to settle into a consistent dose usually.

Even tho the dose you're suggesting is small, it's significant relative to the dog's size.
              Doesn't mean it's not worth a try, just test to gauge reactions.
              Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Maybe i'll try 2 units again tonight and up to 2.5units tomorrow morning and see if it makes any difference. I at least feel better that I got her to pee and got the poop out of her.

Comment

369 at 2:30pm

Comment

good news with her constipation. hope her pain has subsided and not crying.

her numbers are coming down i wouldnt make any changes and give her tummy a rest.

hope shes up and around more tomorrow eh!!
                    Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
                    20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

312 at 4:25PM.

She hasn't gotten up much today. She did walk a little around 10am or so and as mentioned at 2:30am last night, but usually she walks much more. I'm hoping to have some luck getting her to pee and poop tonight.

Comment

266 at 6PM.

Comment

272 at 9:54PM. Why do the numbers seem to be much lower at night?

Comment

304 at 620am. Tried 2.5 this morning. She was walking from 615 to 7am now she can't walk again. Walked also at 1040 last night

Comment

168 now at 9am. I just gave her probably 3/4 of her food as well, she didn't eat a lot of it this morning and I had to leave.

Comment

are her bowels being regular? did she go last night?
                                if she didnt maybe her bowels are getting blocked up then she wouldnt wajt to eat this am.

is she crying?

you could try some dog digestive enzymes to help her with her stools seeings how she cant exercise the poop out
                                Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
                                20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Working...
                                X