View Single Post
Old 04-22-2009, 05:10 PM
Interim CC

Default Re: Hello, I am new here, Kallie just diagnosed

Hi Tammy and welcome to you and Kallie.

I lose my place a lot so in order to make things easier for myself, I've placed my comments in blue into the body of your post. This makes more sense for me and anybody else that get addled easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallie'smom View Post
I have never done this before so bear with me. My name is Tammy and my almost 14 year old 9 pound mini dachshund Kallie will be starting treatment on Saturday. (My vet likes to start on Saturdays so it gives an extra day during the week in case it takes a little longer to load.)

Your vet is a wise man. The vast majority of dogs will load in 5 to 8 days so starting on a Saturday or Sunday does give you a bit of insurance that your vet will be in the office when you to get Kallie there.

She has the pituitary tumor. I dont have any of the test results because I did all that before I found this site and didnt think to ask for it. She first had a ACTH Low Dose test, then the ACTH Endogenous test. I guess her tests came out kind of odd so he consulted with the lab to diagnose her. I might be able to get a copy when I pick up her meds.

Please do get copies of all of Kallie's test results and post them here. The more information you can give us, the easier it is to put all the pieces together and provide you with more meaningful feedback.

I learned sooooo much from all of you, he seemed surprised that he didnt have to explaiin it all to me. He is even having me just pick up the medicine without a visit, he must have confidence that I know what I am doing. This is making me nervous because he is giving me lysodren (or mitotane) in a gel or liquid form? I haven't picked it up yet, so I don't know the dosing yet. The vet assistant who called me thought it was 1ml. I haven't heard anyone mention this on the forum and wondering if anyone has used this before. I was all studied up on the tablets and then this thru me for a loop.

I used liquid lysodren the first time I loaded my second cushdog, Jojo. It did the job but it got gunked up near the bottom of the vial. That made me uncomfortable so when it came time for a refill, we switched to a compounded capsule.

I believe the 1ml the vet tech was referring to is a syringe measurement. For instance, Jojo loaded on 100mg twice daily. In his case 1ml (full syringe) was 100mg so he would get .5ml twice a day with meals. Can you verify with your vet as to the actual mg dose?

I did print out the Lysodren loading instructions so I feel fairly comfortable with what to watch for.

Good for you. Those instructions came in real handy for me more than once. When loading with lysodren, prednisone is an absolute necessity so do not start loading without it.

We'll be here to help you in any way we can.

Glynda
P.S. I see that Kim posted well before I did. I'm at work and get interrupted frequently. Sorry for any duplication.