Hello, I am new here, Kallie just diagnosed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hello, I am new here, Kallie just diagnosed

Sorry I meant mitotane, my mistake. Glad to hear it tastes good, at least to a dog!

Tammy

Comment

Kallie's test results - foreign language to me!

Mod note:
      Moved from another thread started by Tammy (threads merged)

Does anyone that knows what these test results mean think they look out of the ordinary to you?? My vet seemed to have a hard time figuring them out. He did consult with the lab to come up with the conclusion. I don't know what the range should be. I would look up old posts from the old site to compare but they aren't there!

Tests done were:

LDD
      4 hr cort 12.0
      8 hr cort 7.5
      baseline 2.3
      (Vet said results seemed kind of odd to him) He had them run them twice and same result. (3/16/09)

Endogenous ACTH 11.1
      (Vet called the endocrinologist because he was kind of stumped)
      They said "significant magnitude to indicate pituitary-based disease when hyperadrenocorticism has been confirmed." Univ of Michigan

I am just hoping they are in the ranges of a dog with Pituitary Cushings, since she starts treatment tomorrow.

Thanks!!!!

Tammy
      Last edited by AlisonandMia; 04-27-2009, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Glynda - I just gave her the first dose of (beef flavored gel) this morning and she loved it! lol. Thanks for letting me know your Jojo liked it. I slept good last night - if you hadn't told me I probably would have been awake all night worrying about this morning, wondering if I could get her to take it. Hopefully by this time next week she will be all done loading and I'll be moved on to the next phase.

Thank you everyone. I was leaning towards not treating Kallie when I first found out she had Cushings, because I thought the treatment sounded too harsh. I only knew it was a really strong medicine and didn't want to put her thru that at her age (almost 14). But after reading all your experiences and information. it's not so scary to me anymore.

Tammy

Comment

Hope I did the right thing - I always second guess myself. Kallie is on Dose #6 today. The vet originally had her scheduled to come in for a ACTH test this morning, he likes the 5 day mark. I called yesterday and said she didn't show any signs of loading yet. Still strong appetite, drink, pee etc. So he rescheduled her for tomorrow morning. Last night her stool was a little softer than normal, so I am watching that too. This morning I gave her Dose 6 after she readily ate. But the rest of the morning she seems kinda quiet and just went back to bed. She didn't poop yet, I was kinda waiting to see. She does have up and down days anyway, I am just always paranoid when it comes to her. I go home for lunch everyday so I'll get to see how she is eating then. If she shows any signs of hesitation or has softer stool again do I just wait til tomorrow's appointment? Do you ususally wait til the next morning so you can do a test without eating? Or do you take your dogs right away for the test even if she has eaten??

Tammy

Comment

Oh and she pee's yellow again!! Haven't seen that in a long time. Usually its clear.

Comment

Hi Tammy,

The optimal time for a stim with Lyso is 36-48 hours after the last dose. Based on your description of her behavior, you might not want to give the dose tonite but the experts will be along to tell you for sure. If you get home at lunch and she has had diarrhea or vomited or seems lethargic, then I know you don't want to dose her again tonite.

I think I would keep the appt. tomorrow for the stim. If she is loaded, then you are ready for maintenance soon; if she is not loaded, then you simply resume loading til she is. So you won't lose any ground by testing tomorrow.

Yellow pee!! That is always good to see in a cush pup! It's amazing what cush moms and dads get excited about! Yellow pee, solid poops, whoopie!

Keep up the good work!
              Hugs,
              Leslie and the girls
              "May you know that absence is full of tender presence
              and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." Anne, a Corgi mom

Comment

Hi Leslie and girls,

Thanks for the encouragement! Vet was only having me give her a full dose once a day in the morning after breakfast. She seemed fine that way.

So my question is - she will only be at 24 hours tomorrow morning (since last dose). Will that be okay for her test around 8am?? Does anyone ever do testing later in the day?

Tammy

Comment

Hi. I think I'm answering 2 questions you had.

First off as Leslie mentioned lysodren continues to work for a few days after giving it. The test results will be for where Kallie is when you test her tomorrow. Whatever cortisol reading you get (you are shooting for 1 to 5) might go down a bit as the lysodren is still working. Don't worry - you can still do the test.

Also you asked about eating - you should fast her prior to the test so only water after midnight... skip breakfast and bring her in. No lysodren either!

Hope this helps Kim

Comment

Thanks - good to know. When I got home for lunch she was all perky again and ate like a piggy as usual. Poop was good! lol. My friends laughed at me the other day when my husband took her outside and I asked how her poop looked. Can't wait to have her tested to see if she's done yet.

Comment

Hi Tammy,

How are things with you and Kallie today? Hope all is well.

Hugs,
                      Leslie and the girls

Comment

Kallie did 6 days of mitotane (is that generic for lysodren??) and we (the vet and I) thought it might be good to check her. She did pee a little less and stool softened a bit, but no decrease in hunger. I should find out the results today or tomorrow (of the ACTH test). They had to send out the sample. Do other vets do it in their offices?

I've been around here everyday but I've been busy reading threads, lots of stuff going on!! I still have lots to learn.

Tammy

Comment

Hi! Mitotane and lysodren are the same drug. And yes, most vets do not have a testing lab in their offices for the ACTH. Typical turnaround is a couple days depending on the distance from your vets office. Don't forget to GET A COPY of the results so you can keep in the file. Trust me, you'll be glad you did up the road. Good luck!! Kim

Comment

Hi Tammy,

Can't wait to hear the results!

Yes, Mitotane is the generic of Lysodren. You may also see o,p’-DDD in reference to Lyso.

Few, if any, vets have the capacity to do the testing in their offices so every lab work I know of is sent out to labs who do the testing. This is all they do, testing of one kind or the other, they do not see patients. My vets office is now able to run a much broader chem panel than they did a year ago but they still have to send most of their samples out for testing. This way, they can make us play the WAITING game, one we all hate with a passion! But we have all managed to survive and I know you will, too!

I am waiting with you!
                            Hugs,
                            Leslie and the girls

Comment

Just a quick note - Kallie's test results came back. She is at 15, so we need to keep going with the loading process. The first test (pre level?) was 3. Not sure what that it means but I know the 2nd one should fall between 1 and 5. Thanks again for all I am learning from all of you.

Tammy

Comment

Thanks for the update. Don't worry about having to continue loading - not all dogs are the same and there really is no way of knowing how long it will take. I won't tell you how long my dog took because she holds the record. However, I can tell you I understand it's stressful.... just keep doing what you are and before long the tough part will be over.

I've had mine on the same dosage since loading and it's almost been 3 years. Much easier. Oh, and the first number is really not meaningful so don't worry about that one. Just the last one and yes, 1-5 is the goal.

Kim

Comment

Working...
                                X