View Single Post
Old 04-26-2019, 11:14 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: Insulin

From what i suggested on other posts there are maybe 2 other human insulin's that have a decent track record for dogs . That would be NPH and levemir . Now for levimer its usually better if your dog is on a fairly large dose of vetsulin or NPH because it is 4 times more potent so that would be about 3 units to the 13 you are giving for vetsulin . Small adjustments may need to be in quarter units so get those magnifying glasses but some have said it was nice and flat in nature

I would try NPH first but you must remember Yule may never be totally consistent with his other challenges and medications . I do think there is a big downside to trying something new

I have seen better numbers from using different vials of insulin . When i have a good one I try to stick with it as long as we can . There could be other reasons for that but it appears to look that way to me

Maybe stick with this new vial for a bit and see how it goes and if not happy make a switch . you can always switch back
Jesse-26 lbs - 15.5 years old - 10 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number