pug is diabetic, glucose check at home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pug is diabetic, glucose check at home

I found out about a month ago that my 12 y/o pug has diabetes. Ive been giving him insulin shots at home. He has been taking 6 units twice a day. Yesterday I came home from work and he passed out, last night he started vomiting and has been vomiting all day today and he seems shaky. Im assuming his blood sugar is too low. I have a glucometer but Im having trouble getting a good blood sample from him. I tried his ear but just cant get enough blood. Im waiting for my parents to come over to help hold him and Im going to try poking the pad on his paw. If his blood sugar is low Im going to give him some caro syrup and try to adjust his insulin. Im going to skip his insulin shot tonight and see how he does with that. I have tuesday off from work so I think I might take him to the vet tuesday. Any suggestions on places to check his blood sugar? Thanks.
    Kim

Re: pug is diabetic, glucose check at home

Hi Kim,

Look at this site: www.k9diabetes.com/bgtestvideos.html

There are video and picture tutorials there of several other places to test. On small dogs, besides the carpal pad, a good place to try is on the back at the base of the tail and there is a picture tutorial for that.

Chris' video of testing on the lip is a large file so give it time to download. That's another place that works well in many dogs.

MORE IMPORTANT... assume it's low blood sugar and give him some syrup ASAP. If that perks him up, follow up with some food.

And if any doubt, take him to the emergency vet. Low blood sugar can kill.

Natalie

Comment

My other concern is that it may be high blood sugar and ketoacidosis. Or pancreatitis. Neither of which should wait until Tuesday for treatment.

Can you test his urine with ketodiastix to see if his blood sugar is possibly high and he has ketones? Do you have the strips on hand?

I think honestly with the behavior that you describe that he should be seen by a vet today. Vomiting is not typical of low blood sugar but can be common with either ketoacidosis or pancreatitis.

What are your options for emergency veterinary care?

Natalie

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I did call the emergency line and talked to his vet. I gave my dog some caro syrup and he has been sleeping ever since. I wasnt able to get enough blood from him to check his glucose but I havent tried poking him by his tail yet. The vet said to let him sleep and when he wakes up to give him more caro syrup. He said to give it to him every hour and a half and see how he does. I didnt try checking his urine as I dont have any urine strips. He hasnt been outside in awhile to go pee either. Im just going to let him sleep for awhile and see how he does. Thanks so much for the advice.
        Kim

Comment

Just checking in and saw your post...My Bagel does NOT like her feet touched and they always stick her ear at the vet's..She is a beagle/basset and I never have gotten anything from her ear..I could not believe she lets me flip her lip up 2 X a day and I test there every time.Their nerve endings are not so pronounced there,. I tried her foot once and she yelled...Never again..Lip works!! Natalie has a great video somewhere for that. I never would believe she would let me- but each time it is time to do it she sits down by the table where the testing kit is and waits..I use the ONE TOUCH ULTRA and it was less than 10 points difference that the Alpha Trak that the vet uses. Best to you both!!

Sande

Comment

Kim -

Wishing you and your Pug well - please keep us posted on how he's doing. I agree with getting him to the vet before Tuesday.

Sun, 28 Mar 2010 23:21:44 (PDT)
            http://www.coherentdog.org/
            CarolW

Comment

pudgy (my pug) is a little more perky today then he was yesterday but he still isnt himself. Now Im wondering if his glucose is too high. He is acting like he did when I first found out he had diabetes. He is going to the vet tomorrow morning. Yesterday I couldnt get a good blood sample from him so today I brought home a couple of chemsticks (urine dip sticks) from work ( I work in a doctors office). I got him to pee on the stick but for the life of me I cant remember which one is protein and which one is glucose. I used the Bayer diagnositics Chemstrips. Does anyone use these and can tell me which one is glucose and which is protein. Thanks.
              Kim

Comment

Kim - I'm glad your dog is feeling a bit better. Sorry I'm not familiar with the Chemstrips; not sure they're the same thing as ketodiastix (which test for glucose and for ketones), or ketostix, which test only for ketones.

You can get either or both of those at your local pharmacy.

Please keep us closely posted, and if your dog has problems, I really would get him to the emergency vet tonight, if need be.

Emergency situations include ketones beyond a trace, or low blood glucose.

Mon, 29 Mar 2010 17:28:49 (PDT)
                http://www.coherentdog.org/
                CarolW

Comment

I took pudgy to the vet today, they did a ton of blood work. His glucose was up over 500 and he has a bacterial infection. She said something about the infection interferring with his insulin. So they want to keep him over night. They have him hooked up to an IV and they are giving him antibiotics and starting his insulin again. She said if he is better by tomorrow then I can bring him home tomorrow. I left him there and went home to get his insulin and brought it back to the vet. It took me about an hour and when I saw him again he already seemed to have perked up a little bit. He was whining and wanted to come home with me. I had to hug him and tell him that I would be back tomorrow. I know he doesnt understand but I talk to him all the time. Its so weird not having him here with me tonight.
                  Kim

Comment

The vet called, she said pudgy is doing much better. He is eating again and he is in much better spirits and happy. They started him back on his insulin. Sounds like he was really dehydrated. Im hoping I can pick him up tomorrow and bring him home.
                    Kim

Comment

Hi Kim,

Sorry Pudgy has to stay at the vet but I'm glad she is working aggressively to bring his blood sugar down. Infections raise the blood sugar - sometimes the first hint we have that a diabetic dog has a urinary tract infection is the blood sugar starting the climb.

Did she say if he has ketones/ketoacidosis?

Given the IV, I'm concerned that he may have. This is a potentially life threatening condition. It would be good if you could track down some Ketostix or Ketodiastix - the urine strips that test for ketones - and keep them handy in case this kind of thing happens again.

In fact, if you're having trouble testing blood sugar at home, Ketodiastix could be used daily to monitor his blood sugar somewhat and catch high blood sugar and ketones early.

If he is suffering from ketoacidosis, it will be very important to take him for emergency care right away if it happens again. His throwing up was the most worrisome to me on Sunday as that can be a sign of ketoacidosis. The faster it's treated, the better the chances of recovering.

Natalie

Comment

Working...
                      X