Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chewy-newly diagnosed, no appetite

Hello,
    My 10yo Yorkie, Chewy (Chewbacca) was diagnosed with diabetes last friday (4/24/09). His symptoms came on incredibly fast, within the week. He went from normal to excessive water consumption and peeing everywhere, seemingly without any control at all. Took him to the vet and BG was over 400. The vet said we brought him in before ketoacidosis as he wasn't acting very sick at all. No lethargy, etc. So, now we start trying to regulate over the next six weeks. He's taking 2 units of Vetsulin 2x a day, in THEORY. In actuality, he's only getting one, usually at night because he will not eat and the vet said to only give him the insulin after eating and 12 hours apart, of course. He has lost all interest in food but will eat a little in the evening. He's lost one pound since November (from 10 lbs to 9 lbs).
    He has to be on prescription urinary tract food due to the fact that he had bladder stones in Fall of '07. Also, he has an issue with his gallbladder, so is on Ursodiol for that.
    Prior to his visit to the vet, he had no issue eating and was eating his food twice a day. So, we're trying a canned version of his U/D today (based on the vet's suggestion when I called this morning).
    My question is, is the refusal to eat sort of normal? It's so frustrating because I can't give him the Vetsulin unless he eats, which would hopefully start to regulate his BG.
    Sadly, this is making my otherwise healthy 10yo Maltese not eat as well except he does eat all his dinner at night.
    So frustrated and sad for my dog. Oh, did I mention I'm 38 weeks pregnant and have a 20 month old toddler as well? Oh, and that we have to move to Wisconsin in 6 weeks (we're in Florida now). My husband works like crazy and can't help out at all during the day, so it's been good times over here. When it rains it pours, right? Any suggestions or assurances or anything would be helpful. Thank you.
    -Catherine

Re: Chewy-newly diagnosed, no appetite

My suggestion is call the Vet, and tell them what is happening. I would hope your Vet is responsive to Chewy's and your concern, and if not I would find another Vet ASAP

My dog, gunner, a 10 year old pug was diagnosed last Tuesday, and the only symptom I noticed was excessive drinking of water

I am giving Vestsulin twice a day, and haven't noticed any eating issues. My problem is that his urine glucose is too high, and I just put a call into the Vet to address this

Boy you have your hands full. The only thing I can tell you from reading the posts on this forum is if you get the blood glucose under control, Chewy will have a normal happy life.

Good Luck

Comment

Hi Catherine!

Welcome to you and Chewy... love the name for 10 pound Yorkie!

It is very common for dogs not to want to eat when their blood sugar is high. It about drives you mad, doesn't it?!?!? You want them to eat so you can give them insulin and decrease their blood sugar but the high blood sugar makes them not want to eat!

For some reason, if they are going to refuse to eat, it's always in the morning.

For now, I think you can concentrate on getting him food and insulin at night and working up to the right dose of insulin. Once the insulin starts lowering Chewy's blood sugar enough, his appetite in the morning should return thanks to the insulin in his system the night before.

The other alternative that you could talk to the vet about would be to give Chewy a very small amount of insulin when he doesn't eat in the morning just to cover his basal insulin needs (the insulin we all need even when we don't eat). A half a unit or a unit.

A lot of vets are not familiar with doing this. You can usually give 1/4 to 1/2 a dog's normal insulin dose if they don't eat. But it will be tricky with Chewy because he is so small. You probably would have to start with no more than 1/2 a unit.

I'd first see if his getting enough insulin at night will bring back his morning appetite.

How are you monitoring his blood sugar? Are you doing urine tests? Home blood glucose testing?

Natalie

Comment

Thank you both for the suggestions!
        I spoke with the vet and he didn't suggest I start the blood glucose monitoring until we "had it under control", ie. once we figure out how much insulin he needs and so we are to go for a blood glucose screening once a week at the vet (for about six weeks). Then they said we could get a home monitoring kit and also mentioned the urine strips. (I think I'll go find some of those and learn how to use them now, though. Do you sort of chart the ups and downs of his glucose with this?) There is a seminar at the vet's office on diabetes in pets this coming week, so assuming I have not given birth by then, I plan on attending. There we are supposed to learn about the at home monitoring, etc. Chewy has an appointment for his next BG check on Thursday morning. As I'm new to this, I didn't know I SHOULD be doing home checks yet. He did say to keep trying to give him food at night. I'll suggest the tiny insulin injection in the AM and see what he says about that as well.
        Thank you! I am so happy I found this site as I this is very stressful and I just want my poor dog to get stable and feel better.

Comment

It's been about a month since my miniature schnauzer was diagnosed with diabetes and, like your dog, his symptoms seemed to appear almost overnight. We waited about two weeks and then saw the vet who said his BG was around 700. He's been on insulin since then going first from four units to his current six units of Novolin N. He's going in for his second BG curve tomorrow and I expect to see another increase in insulin but otherwise, all the excessive water consumption and peeing disappeared almost immediately when we started his insulin. His condition is clearly improving as I expect you'll see with Chewy when he starts his insulin. Sounds as though you caught the condition in time. Good luck!

Originally posted by catters View Post
          Hello,
          My 10yo Yorkie, Chewy (Chewbacca) was diagnosed with diabetes last friday (4/24/09). His symptoms came on incredibly fast, within the week. He went from normal to excessive water consumption and peeing everywhere, seemingly without any control at all. Took him to the vet and BG was over 400.
          -Catherine

Comment

That's heartening to hear, Dakotapix. I"m glad your pup's doing better so quickly. So far he's only had 4 insulin shots (basically only the one a day). I hope once his appetite and the insulin gets regular he calms down on the excessive water and urinating.

Comment

Hi Catters and Chewy Welcome

I hope the vet agrees with the small dose if Chewy is not eating, once the bg comes down some Chewy will eat.

Can you try a sprinkle of parmesan cheese on the food, something to entice Chewy to eat, sometimes we have to add something to food after dx to get them to eat.

I see you mentioned gall bladder so that means not much fat correct?

You're gonna have a baby, congratulations!

You also have a toddler and you're getting ready to move, well geez, you got alot on your plate right now.

I think if you can entice Chewy to eat and get the insulin dose to him things will get better. Could you add some rice to Chewy's food? I'm cautious as what to add to entice Chewy because of his gall bladder problem.

I[m glad your vet is having a class on canine diabetes, please let us know about the class after you check it out.

Again Welcome
              Dolly
              Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

Hi Catters and Chewy ,
                Welcome you will get plenty of support here.
                Margaret & Angel Lucy July 4 2001- May 6 2011

Comment

Wow, thanks, everyone! Yesterday was quite a rollercoaster with Chewy, but I think he's responding a bit now!
                  Yesterday morning he wouldn't eat again, peeing everywhere, so thirsty.
                  I went to the vet and picked up the canned version of his Prescription Diet U/D.
                  Chewy was REALLY thirsty again around 6, drank a TON, then promptly threw it up. Then was acting really lethargic. I rubbed some Karo syrup on his gums and he perked up. We went for a quick walk, then came back in and he drank some more. Kept it down. I fed the dogs (of course my Maltese wants the canned food as well, as opposed to his Senior Diet (Purina One) - so I had to do the cheese route with him). Chewy ate the new canned U/D with relish. Then I gave him his insulin. We took him out a few more times that night and he was really snuggly, no accidents in the house, it was amazing! He went all night without any accidents!
                  This morning he went to his FOOD bowl instead of the water bowl. I fed both dogs again at 7 am. Chewy ate great, then drank a normal amount of water. Gave him his insulin shot. No accidents and no excessive drinking so far today! (granted it's only 9:20 am, but still). Anyway, I am hoping the new food was enticing enough for him to want to eat it and it appears the insulin made him feel better. Hopefully we'll be able to start back on his dry U/D (because this canned stuff is incredibly $$$$$$$ ) once he gets regulated. Tomorrow he goes back for his blood glucose test and to see what adjustments we need to make. I am just so relieved he is eating and acting fairly normal (still seems a little tired, not too interested in playing, but was barking at birds yesterday on his walk, so that is good...) I can't believe how my own mood has shifted just seeing him eat something. Thanks again! And I'll keep updating this Chewy thread as time goes on.

Comment

Oh, did I mention I'm 38 weeks pregnant and have a 20 month old toddler as well? Oh, and that we have to move to Wisconsin in 6 weeks (we're in Florida now). My husband works like crazy and can't help out at all during the day, so it's been good times over here. When it rains it pours, right?
                    Wow, Catherine, you are a lot more cheerful under pressure than I am!!

Bless you for taking Chewy's diabetes so seriously amid everything else you have going on in your life!

I'm thrilled to hear that he's feeling better!

It's great that your vet is offering a class on home testing. I LOVE vets who promote it as home testing blood sugar is the biggest sanity saver I had with Chris.

Hang in there! You're doing great.

Natalie

Comment

Hi Catherine,

Welcome to you and Chewy.

This morning he went to his FOOD bowl instead of the water bowl. I fed both dogs again at 7 am. Chewy ate great, then drank a normal amount of water. Gave him his insulin shot. No accidents and no excessive drinking so far today!
                      Happy to hear that Chewy is eating for you. It's such a relief when we find something they like to eat. Your doing a great job. Take care and good luck with Chewy.
                      Luv,

Lynne and Angel Lady 7/98-3/09 Forever in my heart

Comment

It is amazing once you start to get a few of the insulin shots on how quickly the excessive drinking and peeing clears up. It's great to here he's eating and your able to do that. I'm new to this as well (just over a month here) but you will be very thankful you found this site. I wish my vet how some diabetic classes/training (that would be great, it's awesome you are having them and I hope you get to take them and pass any thing you might learn). Congrats on everything going on, it sounds very busy but very rewarding (and your so lucky getting to move to Wisconsin lol... I live on the border of Wisconsin/Michigan, I actually do like it here- it can get very cold though, probably more so than your use to- just trying to prepare you for that).

Comment

So glad Chewy ate, I know how relieved you are
                          Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

Thanks again for all the support, everyone. Well, yesterday Chewy went back to the vet for his BG check and he hadn't improved. He had breakfast, his two units of Vetsulin and then we went to the doctor. The doc upped his insulin to 3 units. During the day he definitely started drinking A LOT again. He ate a normal dinner, had his three units of vetsulin. More drinking, a lot of peeing. Last night he wet his bed. Now, this morning, he was really uninterested in food and drank a TON. Right now he's sort of picking at some food, but isn't having much at all... So hopefully he'll finish his food so I can give him his insulin. *sigh.
                            It is amazing how much this affects my mood! I hate feeling so helpless to really do anything for him. Grrr. Anyway, thanks for letting me vent and whine on here!

Comment

Hi Catherine,

I know this can affect ones mood, boy do I !!

Did the vet do a curve or take one blood draw? I think with Chewy's bg reading at the vet it would be a great help to you if you would consider to home test Chewy, I'm thinking this because of the excess urination you had after the insulin increase but maybe that will stop later today, fingers crossed.

Comment

Working...
                              X