No announcement yet.

Harley's visit to the Univ. of Penn.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Harley's visit to the Univ. of Penn.

Oh Darn, just when I thought we might be on the road to treatment.
    I pulled out Harley's papers from the Univ. of Penn. and there in my face is:

Confirmed: Right adrenal nodule(7.3mm at caudal pole), could be consistent with hyperplasia or an EARLY ADRENAL TUMOR.

Confirmed: Small splenic nodule.
    Univ. of Penn. says to do another U/S in 6 months to see if the nodules have grown.

I called Harley's vet and left a message to see if we should have another U/S done now.

OMG, I never gave those nodules a thought bc when I asked Dr O'Neill(Univ. of Penn) about the nodule on Harley's adrenal gland, she said it was so small it PROBABLY had no effect on his cortisol levels., so, thank you, thank you so much for bringing this to my attention Leslie and Ken. I really don't know what I would do without all your help and support.

Leslie, special thank you for deciphering for me about the elevated estradiol and peripheral tissues Was all jibberish to me until you put into cushpup mom terms

Well, the ole boy nudgin me to go out, so I'll check back later.
    Again, Thank you so much for the information.

Harley and Lori

Comment

Not sure what to make of that Lori.
      Honestly I don't think they do either. It is small that they aren't sure if it is a tumor, or hyperplasia, which is an overgrowth in the number of cells in that area.
      I am still in the camp of I don't know what to think with Harley.

Also, if it is an adrenal tumor, they sometimes still treat with meds before surgery. So I guess a whole lot will be learned from your doc looking at the whole clinical picture, the lab results in conjunction with the US findings.

OMGosh, you have got to be going nuts at this point!

Cheryl

ETA:
      Elevated estradiol may be coming from the adrenal glands or may be coming from peripheral tissues such as adipose which can synthesize estrogens.

My knowledge here is strictly in humans, estradiol is an estrogen, the most prevalent form of estrogen in the human body. Fatty tissue can synthesize estrogen. That's why obesity is a risk factor or breast cancer, the increased amount of circulating estrogen.

Cheryl
      Last edited by barney's mom; 05-07-2009, 02:32 PM.

Comment

I have, probably, a stupid question

"When using Melatonin, Typically, a total dose of 3 mg is given (BID) for dogs < 30 lbs."

Total dose, does that mean 3 mg twice a day or does it mean 1.5 mg twice a day??

I should be getting this, yous are probably reading this and thinking "did this girl fall down and hit her head and can't think straight."
        Well, I didn't fall down, but I sure can't seem to think straight right now.

Harley and Lori
        Last edited by Harley PoMMom; 05-08-2009, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Hey Lori,

No such thing as stupid questions!

BID means twice a day, every 12 hours, so that means you give 3mg 2X/day for a pup under 30 lbs.

I tried that fell-down-and-hurt-my-head thing once, no one believed me.

Hugs,
          Leslie and the girls
          "May you know that absence is full of tender presence
          and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." Anne, a Corgi mom

Comment

Bless you Leslie,

I tried that fell-down-and-hurt-my-head thing once, no one believed me.
            You know just what to say to make a person laugh when they feel like just screaming, bawling, tearing their hair out, etc... you get the picture~that's me right now!!

Harley and Lori

Comment

Hi Lori and Harley, I've seen you've been following us successfully to here.

My Truffa is an atypical cushings pup. I am not as versed on the tests and all about atypical, you would think, but no. I always ask for help here, is like mi mind doesn't want to understand. When we received the diagnosis we were sent home with the Melatonin prescription and the medicine for the high blood pressure. My vets never recommended the lignans or all the other options that Dr. Oliver suggests for atypicals.

So I asked on this forum, and after a lot of research on my part I decided to use The Mega Omega Organic Sprouted Flax High Lignans, in part because Leslie bought all the inventory of the Flax Oil capsules that they were using on CC.net (kidding but true ) and because after reviewing several options I thought that this product was very interesting. Both my dogs take it now and they love it. I am buying it at http://www.tandjnaturals.com/ and I am very happy with it. We will have to do another UTK panel and for sure another Ultrasound and blood pressure to really be sure. But without knowing the numbers, I would say that she is doing better.

I know that raw food is the best, but I took a "middle option", in part because I am not sure if cancer is present so I am avoiding grains and things that can put a strain on her immune system. Ahhh and she lost her teeth, so I am giving her Thrive (dehydrated food that I mix with low sodium chicken broth and water) and also Core from Wellness (grain free kibble) mixed with the chicken broth. So far We all love the food here. I don't think most vets are aware of all the good diets that are listed beyond their commercial shelves.

Please say hello to adorable Harley and keep smiling.

Marcela & the Choco Labs

Comment

Hi Marcela & the Choco Labs,

Marcela and Truffa, what very unique and beatiful names. Thanks for the info and the links, I did check them out and found them very interesting.

When are you having the next UTK panel done? I am very anxious, as you are too, to see them numbers and I am glad to hear she is doing better.

Harley's vet said that she can do the Melatonin implant in Harley, if I choose to have it done, I'm not sure, do you know of anyone that has a furbaby with one? I didn't talk to her about the implant at all, so I don't anything about it and she is on vacation this week.

I love your avatar, Truffa sure is a sweatheart, I once owned a black lab named Blue. He loved to catch his frisbee.

Harley thanks you for keeping his Mom sane, well nearly

Take care, Harley and Lori

Comment

Harley's vet said that she can do the Melatonin implant in Harley, if I choose to have it done, I'm not sure, do you know of anyone that has a furbaby with one? I didn't talk to her about the implant at all, so I don't anything about it and she is on vacation this week.
                  Scott's (gpgscott) Moria and also Steph's (corgipallie) Pallie have both had the melatonin implant.

Louise
                  Munchie, 11 yr. old Mini-Schnauzer, 23.2 lbs., diabetes 10/24/12. 8 units Novolin N 2xdaily.

Comment

Thanks Louise,

Do you know if they have had any luck with it?

Harley and Lori

Comment

I know that Pallie has had more than one implant and I do believe the melatonin is doing its job. I'm not sure at this point if Moria currently has the implant or is taking the melatonin orally but as far as I know, Moria is doing well also.

Louise
                      Munchie, 11 yr. old Mini-Schnauzer, 23.2 lbs., diabetes 10/24/12. 8 units Novolin N 2xdaily.

Comment

Oh Louise, that's great news to hear, cushpups doing well.

From the little bit I've been reading or should I say comprehending, they have to replace the implants every so often, like every 4 months.

Just don't know if I would want Harley to go through that stress all the time, or maybe it's not that bad. Have to find out more

Harley and Lori

Comment

Lori, Scott was using an implant on Moria, but he has said in the past that there is no definite way to determine when the life of the implant is running out. Mostly because of that, he has switched Moria to oral melatonin. He has also said that the implant did have a tendency to leave a pretty nasty looking scab. My Harley who is both Pit & Atypical has been using oral melatonin since diagnosis, along with the Flax Essence capsules.

Debbie

Comment

Debbie,

Do you get your Melatonin online or from where? How does one tell if you are getting the "pure" thing? I purchased Harley's at the 'Vitamin Shoppe' here in York, Pa. and am hoping they are of the right quality.

Harley and Lori

Comment

I just buy it at Target or wherever, making sure that I don't get the extended release version.

Debbie

Comment

Hello to all,

Just wanted to wish everyone a "HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY."

Comment

Working...
                                X