Kinser - Kinser has passed on... August 1, 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kinser - vestibular disease?

You might ask/mention to your vet on the "bonine". It is not prescription, and I didn't know about it when we had our vestibular time. But had our little quadraplegic pug into a holistic vet last winter, and she had us try bonine, you can get it at any pharmacy. It did not help him, but he had a brain stem tumor. But she did say they use it a lot for vestibular. She is an excellent vet and very experienced.

Hope all continues to improve, and BTW stubborn is good! Just ask me LOL.

Comment

Hey holly- long time no talk!

I was just popping in since I'm snowed in and bored.

My Casey had vestibular, we also think nibbles had a mild bout of it also.

Just out of no where carry got up in the middle of the night head tilted, falling over, walking in circles and throwing up. I panicked and called the vet. We ended up bringing her in and she had all the symptoms. He out her on steroids and said that it normally resolves itself after some time. He couldn't give me a time frame because it greatly varied on the dog. He thought it could be a small tumor in her brain and the only resolution would be surgery or steroid to reduce the swelling.

We went with the steroids because she was already 15, had cancer and I was not risking it. We kept her on the steroids cause it also helped keep the cancer in check but the price was a reduction in her immune system.

It took about a month to resolve. They falling, circling and throwing only lasted a few days. Her head tilt lasted about a month and after, it was still slightly tilted.

With nibbles, he woke up in the morning the same way and I had already known the signs so looked to him eyes and they were darting. I called the vet and he said I already knew what to do so we waited. His resolved with no intervention except Dramamine writhing 2 days.

I hope he starts feeling better poor baby. Good luck and I'll check in to see how he is.
      I'm Debbie and Nibbles is a 16yo beagle mix ~ Diagnosed in Feb. 2011 with Diabetes and Cushings ~ Currently at 11 units Humulin N ~ Eating Wellness canned food.

Comment

Debbie,

Great to hear from you! I hope the weather has gotten better your way. How is your crew doing these days?

Good news on Kinser. Day 7 (yesterday) he started to show some significant improvement. He was able to get up and walk about four steps by himself before tipping over. John just sent me video from about an hour ago. The quality is terrible because of how I transferred it from his phone to mine - but you can see the progress. Here he is on day 8.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR3qnhneXtc
        ps - Kinser now uses the Nibble's ramp - he says thank you - he's been able to go hiking when John is not around to boost him into my vehicle thanks to the ramp.

Joan,
        Kinser's vet had mentioned meclizine, which I think is the same as bonine. We did pick some up and have some on hand, but he is already getting benadryl and tramadol and we've been holding out to see if we think he needs anything else added right now - specifically something more that can cause drowsiness. It's been a fine line between letting him rest and making sure he works those rear legs as he's lost so much muscle mass in them (unrelated to vestibular) - I've worried about him being down for too long and not ever being able to get back up on them. Good news is that he seems to be coming around. Thanks for the recommendation though!
        Last edited by momofdecker; 01-25-2016, 03:00 PM.
        Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Sorry you've been having these issues Holli. Glad to hear there's some improvement.
          Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

so glad there has been some improvement (and that you have the ramp!)
            Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

looking good

i was happy to see the head tilt go away for jesse it looked really sad while walking around for that period
              Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
              Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Just took a look at this area, and saw your thread, Holli. Poor old Kinser sure is having a time of it! You sure are a fantastic mom to your fur kids. They couldn't hope for better care.

Hoping Kinser keeps improving.
                Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Thanks Bill. It's been two weeks and Kinser's progress has come to a bit of halt. The good news is that he's somewhere around 75% recovered. He can get up on his own and walk on his own. He's been freed from the full body harness.

His eating is still a bit hit or miss - more so not wanting to eat in the morning. But he happily barks during dinner and has a high interest in human food. His evening meal is mostly back to dog food with some chicken or other meat mixed in.

Prior to the vestibular incident he was able to get up stairs and come down on his own. We kept the stairs gated to make sure someone was around to spot him if need be - but the majority of the time he could do it on his own. He can still get up stairs on his own but can no longer get down them.

His head is still tilted and he is still off balance. His back end mobility reminds me a lot of Decker's challenges. He knuckles the rear paws at times and has mild balance checks when he walks around. The knuckling was present prior to the vestibular happening but the balance checks were not. It doesn't take much for him to tip over and he can only turn in one direction. On the positive side - he has his sight and his front legs seem stable. If we don't see any further improvement we still feel confident that quality of life is there for him. He hasn't been able to join us for weekend hikes (not sure he has the strength back yet and the path has been a bit too icy for his footing to handle) but he has been enjoying daily trots down the street. Hoping for an early spring. Would love to get him out on the hiking trail again as it does wonders for his spirit.

Here are a few pics from his November hikes..
                  Stopping for a pose with his human kid after taking a swim:
                  [IMG][/IMG]

One of my favorites - trying to get both Toby & Kinser to pose for the annual Christmas Card photos:
                  [IMG][/IMG]

He was still able to make it up the hill on his own:
                  [IMG][/IMG]
                  Last edited by momofdecker; 02-02-2016, 11:08 AM.
                  Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Beautiful pictures!! You both look so happy, and that is just as it should be.

Comment

I'm so glad he can walk again. I hope spring comes early too for all of you. Your daughter is growing up way too fast but she is as beautiful outside as she is on the inside! love the pics
                      Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Wow - Judi, you got that right! The "human kid" Rebecca really is getting old! Pretty girl!

My favorite picture is the trail of leaves - walking up the hill.

The pups still look good, despite Kinser's challenges.

Hang in there!
                        Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Love the pictures
                          Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Those pictures are so pretty and that Rebecca is a real doll. She is growing up fast!

Glad Kinser has gotten somewhat better. He looks good and really happy to be out with the family.
                            Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Those are really nice pictures, Holli. Looks like Decker, Kinser & Toby have been in the best environment possible for 4 leggers to enjoy themselves, as intended.
                              Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Hollie,

Great to see pictures of your family. I am sorry to hear about Kinser, but he seems to get along pretty good for his age, because of the care you give.

Rebecca sure has grown up, she is beautiful, inside and out.

Barb
                                Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Working...
                                X