Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Since it's so quiet, how about an update?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Since it's so quiet, how about an update?

Greetings everyone. Just an update on Scooter. He just had his 3 1/2 year anniversary of his diagnosis on Nov. 2nd. He's doing very well although he's getting a little picky at meal time. I just add a little Romano cheese to his Blue Buffalo and he gobbles it up. Other than an occasional bout of diarrhea (for which there is no apparent cause) all is well. Thanks for being here. I visit the forum every day.

Comment

Hi Everyone,
      It's been a long time since I visited the forum. There have been too many things going on. Thankfully, all is well now. I wanted to touch base and see what was new with you and your fur babies and then saw this thread.

Autumn is doing great. She turned 10 in June. She has small cataracts for some time now but they have not grown. She's picky eating at times. She has trained me well for that extra something in her meal...so we work it out. Other than the lyme a few years ago, just minor issues, thankfully. She still has a puppy spurt now and then.

Comment

I want to say so many things to the updates here, but am falling asleep at my computer tonight. Anna, it's so good to see you here again. I think of you and Audy often.
        Patty
        Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Amydunn, yes women are at risk too so be careful.
          This isn't about my pup but I fursat my sons 10 month old Great Dane after being spayed. She is such a sweet girl but after having a yorkie it was like having a horse in the house. With that huge cone everything downstairs got rearranged.
          Cosmo 9 y/o Yorkie 20 LBS, DX 9/16/14 Novolin N 3 u BID. DX w Cushings 2 yrs ago, hepatomegaly, pancreatitis, peritonitis, gall bladder disease, heart block, BPH, bil fluxating patellas.

Comment

Hi all

Just wanted to drop by and let you know that JoJo is doing well. He seems to be pretty stable right now.

Every once in a while he will run an isolated high or low I swear he just wants to make sure that I am paying attention. He is completely blind now but is handling it very well and is happy and active.

Jenny I had to laugh at the visual of a huge great dane walking around with a giant cone on his head.

Mary
            JoJo 6 yr old mini-schnauzer dx with diabetes over 3 years ago. Currently on 16U of Novolin N 2 x a day. AlphaTrak 2. Also Calli 3 yr old yellow lab mix.

Comment

Thanks Patty! I think of you often also.
              I've been back to read. I feel like I know many people from reading their posts over time, even if we have not talked.

I will always be so grateful to K9 Diabetes Forum for the teaching and support.

Hi Natalie

Wish you all on the forum the best and a Happy Thanksgiving!

Comment

It is nice to see an update from everyone.

Patty, this is for you and Tim.... Thank you for your service to our county. If not for people like you, I am not sure where we all would be. Happy Veterns day to all of those out there that have served!

We have been very busy since the Spring. Ron retired (or semi retired) the beginning of the year, and I went to four days a week. We have been enjoying the freedom, taking some long weekends, and going away more often (not that we didn't before )

I fill my 'diabetic' time with more sewing projects. Earlier this past year, I had a neighbor/friend that suggested I help her with her sewing project. It was a wonderful way for me to fill up my time that was so taken with Abby. Since that 'project', I have made many items, such as professional bags, quilts, aprons.. etc. I have also taken up knitting and crocheting... and if this keeps up, I will need to open up a booth at the local craft store.

I always feel like I am visiting family when I come onto this site. It is great to catch up on everyone, even though I may not post that often.

Barb
                Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Oops seems I have posted on the wrong page.
                  Last edited by Maggie'sdad; 11-11-2014, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Having a little trouble learning the in's and out's of this forum. Sorry for the double posts. Can't seem to get my post to the end of this thread. Oh well.

Jim
                    Last edited by Maggie'sdad; 11-11-2014, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by k9diabetes View Post
                      It's so quiet around here... how about an update on you and your pup(s)? No diabetic dog required to post - we like to hear about you too!
                      Hi all!!

I have been struggling to get Maggie's blood sugar stable again. Had nearly all the weight she had lost (bout 20#) back on using 17 units of 70/30 when she suddenly started losing weight again, so I put her back on chicken and upped her insulin to 25 units, which perked her up considerably, then after a bit I started adding a good quality dog food back in to her diet. Seems like she is doing better. I hoped this process would be a bit more simple that it has turned out to be.

Jim

Comment

It's been such a long time since I have been around. Soooo much has been happening with my brood I don't even know where to start.

Alfie has huge hind leg problems. X-rays invonclusive but for the most part he is holding his own. All 3 mini schnauzer girls have had illness & injury but r all doing well just now.

I have had 3 surgeries in the last 3 months. Skin grafts & tendon repair on my leg. Recovery is slow going & despite not working just now I am finding generally just being awake & doing anything hard going hence why it's been so long since I have popped it. Surgeon is debating amputation below the knee if things don't improve. Scary to be dealing with that at just 32 years old but trying very hard to let it go and stop being so emotional about it.

Always say it but I will try to pop in more often.

Allison, Alfie & the schnauzer girls x
                        Alfie- 11 1/2yrs. 8kg diagnosed June 2008. Insulin - NPH, Novorapid & Caninsulin - a work in progress! Dx left brain neuro focal lymphoma 4th Dec 2012, still fighting on!.

Comment

Allison. I am sending every positive thought and prayer I can for you and your health. I'm glad your pack and especially the wee dude are hanging in.
                          Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Wow Allison! Sorry to hear of your health and sending all sorts of positive vibes your way! Glad to hear the pups are hanging in there!
                            Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

I like this thread! Kind of puts things in perspective for me. Sammie's doing really well - she just loves cold weather as much as I hate it. I'm glad to say that anybody looking at her would never guess she has diabetes AND Addison's disease nor would they guess she's a 9 year old dog. She looks and feels spunky and I'm so grateful for that.

I, unfortunately, just lot my Mom in September to a year and a half long battle with lung cancer. We also just had her Celebration of Life last weekend in Colorado Springs and it was amazing. I'm trying really hard to get out of this gloomy space as well and have been digging in deep trying to finally get my Real Estate License. I'm really hoping to feel prepared enough to take the exam and pass before Thanksgiving. That's the goal!

Everybody take care of yourselves and give your loved ones (fur babies and those 2 legged ones) a big hug.

Hugs from me and Sammie!
                              Karen & Sammie 65 lb Female Golden Retriever/Collie 12 years old. Addisons and diabetes diagnosed June, 2011. 15 U am/ 8 U pm Novolin N & 2 mg of Prednisone/day. 3 cups Nature's Variety Limited Ingredient Lamb split into 4x a day feedings.

Comment

Update on Bowzer: Since his diagnosis in June of this year we have had a few problems (thankfully only a few). One visit to the ER because of a UTI and sugar dropped low. And yet another UTI two weeks ago and his sugar went up (high 300's - low 400's). Other than that I am quite pleased with his BG readings which I have cut down dramatically to two a day versus the 6 a day I was doing in the beginning. He has remained at 21 units twice a day for a while now. I can tell from his behavior whether I need to take a reading other than the morning and evening. Luckily he still enjoys playing (he is getting up there in age at 12), so not that often, but when I take the other dogs outside, he usually shows an interest in a little game of catch. I really dont know how I would have managed without the support of the members in the group in the beginning. So, for that I am grateful. Thanks
                                Bowzer is an 11 year old Aussie Cattle Dog. He was diagnosed in June 2014. His diet consists of Earthborn Holistic Grain Free Weight Control/Merrick Grain Free Chicken & Sweet Potato; teaspoon of pumpkin; teaspoon of canned Merrick. Uses Novolin N.

Comment

Working...
                                X