Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Insulin

Originally posted by YukiesMom View Post
    So I took his blood sugar at 5:30 and it was around 200. After insulin, food and a short walk at 7:15 pm (1 hour 15 minutes later) its 678!

Should I maybe lower his insulin dose at night? How can it jump over 400 every night?
    Yeah i dont think food can explain a jump like that . It possible the body is struggling with that does for some reason . It could be a cortisol issue . Jesse had i higher fasting for the last couple months and went visit my mom in reno and she is perfect . Its usually the opposite so go figure . If anyone could tell me for sure what is occurring they would be a genius . I have been doing this for over 9 years and its still just an educated guess but i can tell you they can do just fine and live long lives with way less than being perfect
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

The silly thing is his cortisol is normal. Must be the other hormones playing games. I am glad to hear you have been doing this for 9 years and Jesse is still here and doing good. It is just so frustrating. We are on such a routine and different results almost every day.

I see all the posts with worries about BG going up to the 300's and boy I wish I was there. That's my goal is the high of 300
      15 yr old, Atypical Cushings, Pancreatitis, Allergies. 11.5u Vetsulin 2x a day. Royal Canin Glycobalance 1 cup 2x Day with 3 teaspoons boiled chicken and chicken bone broth. Snacks Green Beans. Tylan Powder, Purina Fortiflora, Flax Hull Lignans 35mg 1x day.

Comment

433 at 9:30pm
        15 yr old, Atypical Cushings, Pancreatitis, Allergies. 11.5u Vetsulin 2x a day. Royal Canin Glycobalance 1 cup 2x Day with 3 teaspoons boiled chicken and chicken bone broth. Snacks Green Beans. Tylan Powder, Purina Fortiflora, Flax Hull Lignans 35mg 1x day.

Comment

The silly thing is his cortisol is normal. Must be the other hormones playing games. I am glad to hear you have been doing this for 9 years and Jesse is still here and doing good. It is just so frustrating. We are on such a routine and different results almost every day.

I see all the posts with worries about BG going up to the 300's and boy I wish I was there. That's my goal is the high of 300
          you will get there some take longer than others but as long as you are seeing some good numbers that will get you through
          Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
          Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Going from 678 to the 400’s is good. The big spike after eating could just be his metabolism. Have you ever had his thyroid checked. To ensure there isn’t a metabolism issue affecting how food and insulin gets used.
            I know he has other issues, but it’s good to know what’s normal and what isn’t.

What is the dog’s weight? Is 13 units too much.
            Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

I have had his thyroid checked but it is a while ago. I will request checking it again.

Yukon weighs 30 pounds. I am wondering if it is too much as well.

Comment

30lbs and hes getting 13 units....somethings not right here
                He started at 4
                The recommended is .2 x 30 is 6
                Has there been any changes in food???
                Does he have an infection?
                Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
                20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Originally posted by Riliey and Mo View Post
                  30lbs and hes getting 13 units....somethings not right here
                  He started at 4
                  The recommended is .2 x 30 is 6
                  Has there been any changes in food???
                  Does he have an infection?
                  Let’s not get hung up on a “starting” dosage that frequently is 0.2 units per pound. It’s only a STARTING dosage. Many pups will require MUCH more that the 0.2 units per pound. Test, evaluate and adjust if needed!

Craig
                  Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

There have been no changes in food and he does not have an infection.
                    The only thing I can think of is his atypical cushings is interfering with the regulation. I am wondering if I should back it down to 12 and see what happens.

Comment

if his biggest spike is just after meals, that can be normal for some; dogs and people. Then if sugar comes down, as it should, that’s also normal.

From his latest curve, where does sugar get high again? Or, what kind of wonky does it get?

A curve should show if it’s dropping enough to cause a rebound. If there’s no rebound, then I’d not expect dose is too high. An insulin change might be considered.
                      If you can’t get any improvement over the last while, you have to try something.
                      Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

One question

When are you injecting right after food? Or waiting.
                        Where are you injecting?
                        20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

I am injecting 1/4 way through his meal. I just changed to the sides about 4 inches from the spine.

His sugar spikes really high about an hour after his insulin/food. It stays high pretty much until around 2:00. Bear in mind I take him for a couple walks between 10-2 pm. It starts to get to a good level about 4pm with dinner coming at 6. Today it was 423 at 11:15am and 207 at 5:30pm. I gave him dinner at 6pm. He is now laying outside sound asleep. We will take it at 9:00pm and it will be 600!

Comment

His BG is 420 at 8:45pm. He is acting very tired. It is a little lower in general. I did knock down his insulin to 12.5 today from 13.

Comment

I am injecting 1/4 way through his meal. I just changed to the sides about 4 inches from the spine.

His sugar spikes really high about an hour after his insulin/food. It stays high pretty much until around 2:00. Bear in mind I take him for a couple walks between 10-2 pm. It starts to get to a good level about 4pm with dinner coming at 6. Today it was 423 at 11:15am and 207 at 5:30pm. I gave him dinner at 6pm. He is now laying outside sound asleep. We will take it at 9:00pm and it will be 600!
                              What i did with my dog after food and insulin was to check his bg 1/2 hour after eating to see where his bg was after food. If it was high i.d reduce his food a bit. If it was low i.d increase his food.

I.d take his bg again 1 and a 1/2 hours after injecting thats when his insulin started working. To meet up with the food

Good he.s exercising at 10

Comment

If the dog food is kibble, you may want to try soaking some or all of it so it digests a little easier. Might knock the after dinner spike down.
                                Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

Working...
                                X