X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Daisy's Story

made a change and the wheels came off
    Boy did the wheels come off!!!

You might try increasing by 1/8 cup then go up another 1/8 cup more gradually.
    That's exactly what I'm going to do. Hopefully I can get her re regulated quickly.
    Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

I upped her food from 1c to 1 1/4 c per 12 hours at injection and her BG levels were back in the 300-500 range. So I backed up and went slow and sure enough her numbers started looking good again- between 125-220. I'm a happy camper.
      At 7p I checked her and she was 80, fed her 1 1/4c, dropped her insulin by .2 and just checked her at 9p and she's at 79 so I gave her some more Stewbie and a couple baby carrots. I'll check her at 11p and see where we're at. She's bottoming out again.
      Last time we were at the vet, I told her I thought I had Daisy pretty well regulated. She looked at me and winked and said "for now....remember, she's a schnauzer".
      Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

Daisy just ate bubble gum.
        She's at 288.

Comment

you might want to google gum and dogs i dont think its good for them

would not worry about blood sugar
          Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
          Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Hope is wasn't sugar free. Xylitol sweetner is very dangerous for dogs.
            Gus - **Angel as of March 7, 2018"
            10.5 yr mini-schnauzer, diagnosed Sept. 2015, currently 17.5 units Novolin N 2x day; diet W/D, tblsp pumpkin, Advocate PetTester tester/strips & Alpha-Trak2 for alternative (when I question weird BG readings); blind as of March 1, 2016

Comment

Thank goodness it wasn't sugar free, BG was 367 at fasting last night, so not too bad. Around 2p I could tell she wasn't feeling well, she was laying around and then got fidgety. She ate her dinner at 7p and calmed down and drank a lot of water and we went for a walk. She ate well this morning, but back up in the 300's. She's had a couple of loose stools since last night as well.

I didn't know how toxic bubble gum is.

Comment

glad daisy is ok but keep an eye on things
                Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

I took her to the vet. Her BG has been out of whack for a week and she felt hot, been peeing a lot. Maybe I'm over reacting, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I did a mini curve on her and she started out at 364 at 7, 235 at 9:30, 298 at 11:30. That's way off base for her so I took her in.

Comment

you know daisy best and no reason to take any chances

never a wrong decision going the extra mile

the numbers dont give a sense of returning to diabetic symptoms just not high enough for most

when my jesse had her issues with pancreatitis her belly was actually very warm to the touch . very strange never felt anything that warm on a living creature

maybe something else is going on not sure if the gum is having an impact

hope daisy gets back to normal soon

Comment

I just got her back from the vet. JesseGirl- She's got a UTI!

Now I think we can get back on track as soon as the antibiotics kick in.

Comment

yay (not saying a UTI is a good thing ) you have an answer and thats a good thing as you can address UTI and move forward

its amazing how you know something is up when sugar gets out of whack good job sticking with your instincts and not ignoring them

Comment

Knowing your dog's normal numbers is so important. This goes to show you should trust what you know to be true. I was once ridiculed because I brought Maggie to the vet. I told them I thought she had a UTI because her blood sugar had been higher than normal two readings in a row. They asked if she had any other symptoms and I said no. They were acting like I was stupid and shouldn't be wasting their time. Of course, she did have a UTI. My vet told them "I think next time she speaks, you might should listen. She knows her dog." It was kind of satisfying. I didn't get questioned again.
                          Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Three doses of Clavamox and her numbers are nearing her normal range again- 185 at 7p this evening. She feels cool to the touch so her fever is down and I can tell by her eyes and the expression on her face that she's feeling much better. She even chased a possum this evening.

Comment

Daisy's BG has been all over the place. One day it's 563, then 330, then 175, then back up to 520.

Is this normal during a UTI? I'm very hesitant on changing her insulin dosage due to the infection. She's been on Clavamox 125 1tab q12h with her first dose on Saturday evening. The duration of therapy is a full 14 days.

Thanks!

Comment

I think many illnesses can affect blood sugar. I know when I have the flu or a cold or whatever, my numbers are radical. And many drugs cause radical numbers.
                                Many times when I've been given a prescription for something, my doctor tells me it'll probably screw up my control. So I gotta figure it can be the same for dogs.
                                Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Working...
                                X