• Show
Clear All

• Cj

Hi we are new to this so I will just give details of cj my beautiful Westie

Cj Westie

Born 13 jan 2004

Dx. May 2012
    10 iu can insulin twice a day every 12 hours
    Food royal canin gastro intes low fat 150g per day plus a little cooked chicken breast and a few eukanuba low fat biscuits
    Vet is still doing the blood tests

We have had problems regulating cj but it seems to be improving now. He also has very itchy skin and before he was diag I used to give him cortisone . My vet had to find another option.
    He is now on 50mg of ciclosporin once a day and it really works.

I am going to get my own blood sugar tester but am not sure which is the best. I am so glad I found this web site it has really helped me understand diabetes and to help CJ as much as I can.
    Anne-Marie and CJ Westie , Born 13 Jan 2004, dx May 2012, Weight 9.5kg, 6 iu Caninsulin Twice daily. Mixture of food - baby formula and mixture of chicken and vegetables . 4-6 feeds a day due to pancreatitis which is under control.

Re: Cj

Well done Anne Marie for setting up his tread , and hello again to CJ.

Do you know what CJ weight is? and do you know any of his blood glucose results from the vets. Pippa too is on canninsuin and really so far doing well on it. It does take time to get them regulated so dont worry too much, but I do think home blood testing is key if possible. the lovely people on here use a variety of different testing machines, often for humans. I use a one touch ultra and buy the test strips from EBAY. There is an aminal validated machine the alphatrak, but its expensive. Craig has lots of knowledge about different machines and Im sure some of the more experienced members will be along shortly to advise further.

Really warm welcome to you and the georgeous CJ.

Did I understand that you are from Ireland living in South Africa?... Thats a long way from home if so !

Big hugs, Jen and Pippa. x
    Pippa; Westie, diagnosed 17th April 2012 at 6.5 years old, 8.7kgs, 6.8 units canninsulin bd, Burns high oats food . Lives with George 9 (Black lab), Polly 19 (cat) and Basil 15 (diabetic mog for 5+ years). Im Jen and we live in West Wales where it rains too much!

Comment

Hi! Welcome to you and Cj! I noticed you in another thread and am glad you started your own!

I adore Westies...my first dog was a Westie...only had him a year and a half til I allowed my best friends to adopt him...long story but I couldn't provide a good home for him at the time. I still get to see him all the time and I still adore my little man!

Anyhow! Itchy skin! Lots of us know all about itchy dogs! Seems like we've cornered the market on that! Hank has seasonal allergies that we are currently trying to control with chlor tabs since we can't use the magical prednisone that used to work so beautifully til it caused his diabetes! He seems to be doing ok.

I had discussed using the cyclosporine for Hank with my vet and tried it for a bit but it was late fall and Hank doesn't need help in the winter so we stopped it. It's such a BIG drug that I am nervous about using it again. I had used it with my cat very successfully for several years but her allergies have subsided so we don't use it any longer. My only caution with that drug is to make sure you are aware of all the side effects ...read the paper that comes with it and keep a close eye on Cj.

Most of us seem to use the OneTouchUltra to do our blood testing. You can usually get one for a reasonable price on Amazon. Your test strips can also be gotten on Amazon or on Ebay for about half the cost of the regular store. Lancets can be gotten just about anywhere for a good price. There are a lot of videos both on the site and on you tube that you can watch to get a good idea of what to do when testing. We usually suggest doing dry runs for a bit before hand to get you and the dog used to the process. Most dogs put up with it very well.

Welcome again!!!
      Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Hi Shellie and Hank

Thanks for replying I am so delighted that I joined this site. I am learning so much.
        I will check on side effects of the drug - there was no instructions in the packet so will talk to my vet today.

I watched some of the videos for testing blood and once I get the machine I will let you know what CJ readings are.

Thanks again for your tips and for your welcome!

Anne-Marie and CJ
        Anne-Marie and CJ Westie , Born 13 Jan 2004, dx May 2012, Weight 9.5kg, 6 iu Caninsulin Twice daily. Mixture of food - baby formula and mixture of chicken and vegetables . 4-6 feeds a day due to pancreatitis which is under control.

Comment

Welcome.
          If using a human meter I would recommend the One touch ultra 2. I bought mine new off ebay for $20. The walmart brand Relion also has a lower cost one called Confirm, those strips will be the least expensive. I find the One Touch is just a bit more user friendly and I have yet to waste a strip. I am going to exchange my Relion as I may have gotten a bad one. Readings are good but the strips doesn't slide in easily which has me worried that it may be damaging the strips/affecting the readings.

I do have the alpha track to compare these two meters to and consistently they both read about 20 points lower when in the 100-300 range. The differences are not as great when in the low numbers.

I have also used the True Track and found it was not consistent. Sometimes reading higher, sometimes lower then the Alpha Track.
          Tara in honor of Ruby.
          She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
          Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Just wanted to add my welcome to you and CJ
            Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Welcome to the forum!
              Gigi - 11.5 year old Jack Russell/Beagle mix - dx 11/11, hypothyroid dx 8/23/12 | Insulin: Novolin N | Frequency: 2x's per day | Dosage: 4-5 units, depends on the day | Blood Glucose Meter: Alpha Trak 2 | Typical BG Readings: 100-200| Regulation: Doing great! | Celebrating 11 years together, 3.5 of those as diabetic |

Comment

Thank you all for your warm welcome and advice

I have just completed my first curve today for my baby cj. He was so good and did not mind the blood tests at all - he hates the injection!

Thanks to Jenny I changed vets yesterday it's a long story which I will fill you in on but not tonight and also give results of cjs curve. Cj is fast asleep beside me so I will say goodnight and again I can't express how grateful I am for all the support I have received and the knowledge I have gained from this site.

Anne Marie and cj
                X

Comment

Hello and welcome to you Anne Marie and CJ.....this is a great place (as you are finding out) for support and information. Lots of us will be checking in and watching your progress. There are a bunch of "pros" on here who are great at thinking thru issues and helping you understand diabetes. If it weren't for this site I simply wouldn't have made it past the first month and now we are approaching our 9th month of management. I'm still learning but will chime in when there is something I can offer.

Right now I'll offer a big hug to you and CJ....
                  Jim/Marijane & Spirit, Newfoundland, born Dec 22, 2007, 115lbs. DX Oct. 2011, 18.5 units Humulin 2x per day. Hills WD kibble, Hills WD can made into gravy, boiled chicken. Spirit passed on June 9, 2016 and it had nothing to do with diabetes.....farewell my buddy.

Comment

Congrats on your first curve Anne Marie
                    Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Anne marie, You are amazing!
                      Well done for getting a machine, learning to blood test and doing a curve all in one day! Amazing.

I totally agree with Jims post, I too am so new at this too and would have been lost without the "pros" on here who have helped me to begin to understand dog diabetes and its management and I still get confused by things and need to bounce ideas of everyone. There is so much great info on here to learn from. Post as much info as you can so the experienced members can help you get CJ as well regulated as you can.

What sort of machine did you get hold of in the end?
                      What sort of readings did you get on CJ s curve?
                      New vet too! My goodness, Its a heck of a week for you and CJ!

Pippa thinks CJ is one cool little westie for being so good with the testing, shes not phased by it either but llike CJ also hates the insulin injections. Was CJ born in Ireland? If so its not impossible that they could be related - Pippa was a puppy farm dog from west wales and probably had a really sh*t start in life, which makes me feel upset.

Huge hugs to you both! Jen x
                      Pippa; Westie, diagnosed 17th April 2012 at 6.5 years old, 8.7kgs, 6.8 units canninsulin bd, Burns high oats food . Lives with George 9 (Black lab), Polly 19 (cat) and Basil 15 (diabetic mog for 5+ years). Im Jen and we live in West Wales where it rains too much!

Comment

Hi Jenny

I just typed up the whole story and then lost it all!

Here is quick update changed vets on Wednesday .
                        The machine I bought is Bayer Contour TS this is the one they use and said its very easy which it is.

CJ was very low when I brought him in on Wed he was at 2 when they tested him and they gave him Glucose at once. He came back to 3.3 before we left 2.5 hours later! The vets are lovely and so helpful and concerned for CJ.

They told me no insulin on Wed night just feed him.

Thursday 19th july

7am 17.7
                        9am 14.3
                        11am 8.8
                        1pm 5.6
                        3pm 7.3
                        5pm 8.2
                        7pm 16.5

I gave him 4.5 iu of insulin iafter testing in morning and evening - with food of course I mean after food - sorry I am so frustrated that I lost the post I just typed!

I kept in touch with Elke - the vet all day yesterday she said I am doing great!!

This morning 7am 18.6

She told me to just test him 3 times today and let her know what readings are.

Also 4.5 iu again twice today.

Yes CJ is Irish - hes a bit mad like all Irish westies!!

Thanks for all the support and help. Will post full story later have to dash out so I am back to do test at 1pm.

If any one thinks I am doing something wrong please tell me - I would really appreciate your input.

Thanks to all members who have posted replies to me I will try and answer each one in next day.

Thanks again and will post readings later.

Anne-Marie and CJ

Comment

I think you are doing everything right!

Well done again.

I also think your new vet sounds fab, very sensible and so good that they seem really interested in getting CJ into better levels.

Getting the right dose of insulin seems to be very individual for each dog and from what I understand its a case of starting low and slowly increasing untill that magic dose is reached. It does take time this bit and important to let a dose change settle in for a few days ( or up to a week ) before slowly increasing if needed. I am naturally impatient and found this bit of waiting and seeing very frustrating, but patience is needed and it does pay off in the end. It seems to be that low readings are more worrying than high, so CJs bloods of thursday look much better to me than the 2s and 3s of wednesdays.

Keep going girl, your doing good.

Hugs Jen x

Comment

Originally posted by jenny View Post
                            It does take time this bit and important to let a dose change settle in for a few days ( or up to a week ) before slowly increasing if needed. I am naturally impatient and found this bit of waiting and seeing very frustrating, but patience is needed and it does pay off in the end.

Hugs Jen x
                            Amen to that, sister! I'm ridiculously impatient, and trying to get my dog regulated required a LOT of patience! I finally learned to stop worrying (when a different pet got sick), and just let Zoe be. She survived (and probably enjoyed) my new found neglect, and it taught me that I don't have to be a helicopter mommy over her.
                            Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

Hi Jen

Just got home from vet a very stressful day. CJ was at 1.9 at 1pm so spoke to Elke and she said Honey and Biscuit asap. Did that and he went up to 7.7 after half an hour. He dropped again at 3.30 to 4.9. Decided to bring him in to vet Greg who is so kind.

He spent a lot of time with me and cj - I only left at 7pm! II am going to give him 2.5 iu tonight and 3.5 tomorrow and test him only at 1pm for next few days.

No more curves until next week Thurs/Fri. Greg also says be patient!!! Its not in my nature I always want to fix everything asap! But I am learning and for CJ I will do anything.

I now have to get dinner but I just wanted to let you all know how things are going and to thank you so so much for your support - I'm not hungry but my other half is - so I will definately post tomorrow with more info.

Have a lovely eveining and lots of hugs to you and Pippa!

XXXX Anne-Marie and CJ

Comment

Working...
                              X