• Show
Clear All

Re: Bagel joins the group and Mommy is melting

Hi Sande and Bagel and Welcome,

You will get plenty support here I will follow your thread
    Margaret & Angel Lucy July 4 2001- May 6 2011

Comment

Thanks everyone..Pam, when you listed the peaks, what was the time of the shot?

She has been fine all day....Wanted to walk more but I took her for a doggie buggy ride for an hour...I needed the exercize more than she did...

Sleeping now....

I am making a stew with lots of veggies and ground turkey- but I read conflicting info about potatoes/carrots/corn since those are high sugar carbs...

I have zucchini and brown rice and barley and chicken soup ( FF and low sodium)..
      gonna try to do the shot at 6:15 and then fly....best I can do but neighbor will check in for me...

Comment

Sounds like a good plan...should work out well. Avoiding potatoes, carrots, etc. right now is a good idea.
        Enjoy your evening...those dinner theaters can be a lot of fun.
        Jo-Ann & my Dollydog angel

Comment

She has slept all afternoon..as she normally does.....I am feeling better each minute...A real thin ice walking time....
          WOW

Comment

Hi Sande,

Noticed you were making Bagel's food and noticed you listed "chicken soup" please make sure onion's are not an ingredient in the chicken soup. Can be toxic for dogs.

Good to see you are getting all the help. I'm sure you will do fine.

John (Roxee's Dad)

Comment

Hi

With the veggies Yes, avoid potatoes, carrots, peas, sweet potatoes and corn, green vegetables are good, chopped brocolli, green beans, celery there are some others, you want the low carb ones.

Dolly
              Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

Thanks ALL...
                I used chicken broth..sorry....low fat low sodium..She picks around the corn thankfully and I removed the potato and carrot chunks...
                I put the soup mixture in her kibble..

well,
                I came home last night ( she had been fine) and we went to bed at 10 and SLEPT TIL 6 AM!!!! that hasn;t happened in 2 weeks....

She is sleeping now and did last night while I was gone...
                I am Feeling better now a little..
                question:
                Shots are geared for 6 and 6 now...but she is used to a bedtime snack...
                Can I do that as long as it is protein?
                I gave her half a jar of lamb babyfood last night before we went to bed...
                breathing a little better here...VET is studying all the vetsulin articles and will contact me tomorrow..NPH apparently hard to get at this time....???
                Sande

Comment

Hi Sande - so glad you are ALL doing better. Pip was getting his shots at 6 and 6 same as you're doing. He's on NPH now with only one action, so he goes his lowest around noon.

Every dog is different though and Pip is extremely hyper! I wanted to tell you that I switched to NPH because Vetsulin was only availabe at our Vet's office and one Saturday I dropped and broke the bottle!!!!!

Of course our Vet was only open until noon and this was Pip's evening shot. I had to go to an animal ER and beg for a bottle!

I would advise you keep an extra unopened bottle of Vetsulin just in case! NPH is a human insulin and way easier to get. I can go to the 24 hour Walgreens and get a bottle without a prescription.

I'm certainly not pushing you to change, but I wanted to relay my experience!

Pam

Comment

Just a short note...have responded to your good news on the Cushings forum.
                    NPH available at Walmart...just ask.

Comment

Another thought....I couldn't get NPH one time at our local pharmacy so had to use Humulin. Then went back to NPH when the Humulin vial was done.

Comment

NPH is easy to get. Walmart has the best price - ask for the Relion N brand as Walmart also carries the Novolin N name brand but more expensive. At all other pharmacies it is Novolin N or Humulin N.

I believe that some Vetsulin sales reps have told vets that NPH is going to disappear any day now to help convince vets to use Vetsulin. Some day NPH will go away - it is an older product for people. But the FDA requires them to give six months' warning when that happens, plenty of time to stockpile! And I've been hearing about NPH going away any day now for five years. As long as it's available, I say use it because it's a really good insulin for dogs.

It is also significantly cheaper. Usually a 10ml bottle is less expensive than a 10ml bottle of Vetsulin. And then you figure in that there are 1,000 units of insulin in a 10ml blott of NPH while only 400 units of insulin in a 10ml bottle of Vetsulin - that makes 2.5 times less expensive to use.

And you can buy nice inexpensive syringes at Walmart too - you will need to change syringes if you change insulins. They come in more varieties and with finer needles. The Vetsulin syringes are 28 gauge and the smallest needle you can get in a U40 syringe is 29 gauge, which the U100 syringes, which you can buy at any pharmacy, go as small as 31 gauge and with half unit markings.

Natalie

Comment

WOW great info guys!!

He is going to call me tomorrow and we will chat about the NPH..I just got a box of 100 syrynges and they are 20 ml if that means anything...

1/2 ccX 29 G x 1/2" U40

hmmmmmmmmmmm???????????? there are smaller needles? WOW
                          ok
                          well going to take the girl out in her buggy....beautiful warm day here...
                          Be back later..
                          thanks So much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                          Sande

Comment

Hi Sande,

Welcome to you and Bagel. We dealt with both cushings and diabetes too. We used trilo for the cushings and Humulin N for the diabetes.

I came home last night ( she had been fine) and we went to bed at 10 and SLEPT TIL 6 AM!!!! that hasn;t happened in 2 weeks....

She is sleeping now and did last night while I was gone...
                            I am Feeling better now a little..
                            Happy to hear that your feeling better. You'll get the hang of this in no time - we're all here to help you. It really does get easier. Hugs to you and Bagel.
                            Luv,

Lynne and Angel Lady 7/98-3/09 Forever in my heart

Comment

another ALL NIGHT SLEEP...
                              She wasn't THAT crazy for breakfast..but she HAS been a voracious piggy most of her life..So then she ate normally and I guess I wasn't ready for that..
                              Shot in fine..Bagel sleeping...Mommy thankful and hitting the showers..
                              My first day gone away from her all day but I am faithful....
                              About treats...I have cut them ALL out...but she wants something before bed..so I gave her some lamb babyfood...all protein...????????????????

S
                              Last edited by Bagel's Mom; 11-09-2009, 10:18 AM.

Comment

well we got up once last night at 2:30 AND she did drink a little more water in the evening..
                                Guess that iswhat the curve thing she does Thurs is about???

Do you all check blood every day?????????
                                thanks!!
                                stepping a little easier....
                                Sande

Comment

Working...
                                X