Scruff the Schnauzer, Rest in Peace 10/31/15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scruff the Schnauzer, Rest in Peace 10/31/15

Hello everyone! Newbie here but a life time dog owner!

I discovered this forum last evening while searching for information about diabetes in dogs.

Our male miniature Schnauzer, Scruff, was diagnosed with diabetes today..... come as a shock to us. He turned 9 last September.

The "in our face" signs that something was wrong commenced last Friday and over the weekend........... lots of drinking water and urination!

So, at the Vet this morning, his "sugar" reading, after a 15 hour fasting, was 318. We will be going back Friday morning for another test and I'm sure the commencement of a plan of action.

Other than the recent symptoms we cannot remember anything prior. His diet has been dry bag food with occasionally a few selected table scraps such as white chicken meat.

Down through the years, he's been on many 4 to 8 mile Sunday afternoon trail hikes with us in the back country on both private forest land and the Daniel Boone National Forest. Although he's a house dog, we live in a remote rural area which allows him plenty of open space with lots of opportunity for exercise.

So, I suppose he is one of the unlucky Schnauzers to develop the disease.

Well, I guess hopes and wishes is what we need now!
    Miniature Schnauzer, named Scruff! My wife and I are retired and do a lot of traveling in our vintage VW Vanagon. Most recent trip was to Alaska, 2014. Scruff went along too!

Re: Introducing......

Hi Andybees, and welcome. I can remember the shock, mixed with relief at getting a diagnosis, when our 13 year old Yorkie, Clyde was diagnosed in December 2013. I have only recently found this wonderful forum, and have found it an invaluable source of advice. I wish I'd known about it when Clyde was firt diagnosed.

I hope Scruffy is soon stable and resumes his normal doggy lifestyle.
    Clyde: born 21 Feb 2001, dx Dec 2013. Caninsulin 2 x 5u, Prednidale, Pred Forte eye drops. Weight 4.75kg

Comment

Re: Scruff the Schnauzer

Welcome! Has Scruff been started on insulin yet? If he has, what dosage, what brand of insulin and what is his weight?

Craig
      Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Welcome to you and Scruff - diabetes just develops in certain dogs. Schnauzers are very prone unfortunately but their prediabetes lifestyle - food and exercise - has very little to do with the development. Some dogs have a trauma to their pancreas and many developed it from steroid use and some breeds just are prone to it. I feel it is nothing you did or didn't do. Just luck of the draw.

I will be looking forward to learning more about Scruff.
        Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Welcome to you and Scruff (love the name!)

You've found a great forum of supportive people. There are lots of videos on how tos and lots of reading !

Laura
          Laura & Charlie 29 lb male lhasapoo diagnosed October 2013. 16ish units of Novolin N. 1 & 1/3 cup of Natural Balance Fat Dog twice a day. An egg with breakfast and chicken with dinner. Shares string cheese with us late afternoon. Cyclosporine ointment for KCS. Blind from cataracts January 2014. Crossed the rainbow bridge 2/1/2016 at 14.5 years

Comment

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and setting up a Thread for us. Scruff and I fell asleep watching TV. It has been a long and stressful day for us.

Without trying to quote and answer each question you've posed, I'll give a little more detail about Scruff and myself.

My wife and I acquired Scruff when he was less than 3 years old from our son and daughter-in-law. When the grandbabies began to arrive, they didn't want to keep him any longer. Scruff adapted well as I retired a month after the second grand child was born, March '08. He's been my side-kick to this day, going where ever I go! He likes to ride in my old vintage VW Van...... the middle seat is his

Anyway, no insulin therapy has been started. Scruff has one more Vet appointment to confirm that he in fact has elevated sugar. At that point we will start the therapy. The Vet is familiar with such needs as he has guided a number of his patients to a long life based on what we've learned just in the past few days discussing the issue with friends and relatives.

Since Scruff finished a 15 hour fast this morning, I started him on a modified diet and better feeding habits. He's having a hard time adjusting.... especially not receiving a treat when he comes back from an outside potty break. He knows how to "nose" the door open and always comes back in the house with a hard shake......... sort of to let us know he's back I suppose. I'm thinking maybe some boiled chicken chunks would work for a treat opposed to the usual dry dog bone that he's been use to getting.

Well, I'll not go on boring you with our story.

Once again, thanks so much. I feel certain that the support and information I'll glean from the various Threads in this forum is going to be most helpful.
            Last edited by AndyBees; 01-13-2015, 09:43 PM.
            Miniature Schnauzer, named Scruff! My wife and I are retired and do a lot of traveling in our vintage VW Vanagon. Most recent trip was to Alaska, 2014. Scruff went along too!

Comment

Many of our pups enjoy frozen vegetables as treats! My Annie "flips" over a frozen green bean, straight from the freezer, as a post blood test treat.

Craig
              Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Welcome to you and Scruff!
                You have found a wonderful place for information and support!
                There is nothing boring about your Scruffs story, I love reading about all the sugar babies on the forum
                I give my Chuck a piece of freeze dried chicken or a small piece of low fat string cheese.
                I hope to hear more about Scruff's adventures and hopefully he will be regulated easily and soon!
                Chuck-108 lb male Rottweiler, 8 years old. Dx Sept. 24, 2014. 22.5 units of Novolin N 2 x a day. Alpha Track 2. 2 1/2 cup Purina OM Select Blend, 2 x a day. Also mom to 2 Boxer boys, I love my 3 boys-chucksmom aka Kim

Comment

I am so amazed at how quick diabetes has shown it's ugly face with Scruff. One week ago, there were no obvious signs that he was not well. Today, (and yesterday), he just wants to sleep. Although he's been out and about this morning and had a meal based on his new diet, he's now crashed on his favorite sleeper.

Hopefully, the follow-up visit to the Vet will get him going and back to his old self.

Yes, I hope his insulin needs will be easily regulated. He still has a good appetite and has not lost any weight.
                  Last edited by AndyBees; 01-14-2015, 10:15 AM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

In the mean time you could give home blood testing a try? Many on the forum like the One Touch Ultra meter http://www.amazon.com/One-Touch-Ultr...ne+touch+ultra The other popular choice is the AlphaTrak-2, which is designed for use on dogs http://www.alphatrakmeter.com/index.html

Even if you don't select the AlphaTrak, their website has great info and videos.

Craig

Comment

Wow! The experience of learning that my dog has diabetes is so overwhelming it's almost hard to describe. I've been searching, reading, comparing notes, learning the jargon/buzz words, etc., most all day. The one study about Schnauzers possibly being insulin resistant concerns me.......... the link is here in this Thread http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4390

Scruff and I went for a walk this evening right before dark. His energy level is better than 75% of his normal......... amazing how much it has changed in just a week. But, he did his usual share of hiking one or the other of his hind legs to leave his mark along the way (ambidextrous I guess).

I tell yah, at this point the memories sure do flash through in a hurry! I guess adjusting and accepting the diagnosis just takes a while!

Comment

We treat with homemade chicken jerky after injections or eye drops....teeny pieces but you would think its a big steak!

Assuming your vet indicates a need for insulin be sure to head to Walmart as their Novalin N is only $25 a vial and their syringes are also the best price we've all found!

Laura
                        Laura & Charlie 29 lb male lhasapoo diagnosed October 2013. 16ish units of Novolin N. 1 & 1/3 cup of Natural Balance Fat Dog twice a day. An egg with breakfast and chicken with dinner. Shares string cheese with us late afternoon. Cyclosporine ointment for KCS. Blind from cataracts January 2014. Crossed the rainbow bridge 2/1/2016 at 14.5 years

Comment

You go through the full range of emotions - depression, anger, self pity, guilt, sadness - it is overwhelming. But, diabetes is not the end. Life will change but it always does and you will find that Scruff is still your buddy and still is the same dog. I look at diabetes probably a little bit differently after all the years I have been blessed with Maggie. I feel like as much as I hate this disease, it has made me a better person and caretaker than I would have been otherwise. It has made me appreciate the small ordinary things most dog owners give no thought to. I have developed a much deeper relationship with her than I have ever had with a dog.

I was a wreck for a long time - I just knew that she wasn't going to make it. I wouldn't buy big quantities of anything even food for several years, thinking surely death was just around the corner. Seven years later, we are still plugging along. You can't get too caught up in all the information and you can't sweat the mistakes you make too much. I have made many mistakes and miscalculations through the years but you just can't dwell on it. If you have been reading on the forum, you have probably noticed that regulation doesn't happen overnight and you have to have patience and lots of it. You can do it and before long, it will be just part of daily life.
                          Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Well, off to the Vet this morning to see what the numbers are after another 12 hour fasting. Tuesday morning of this week, the first test was 318.

I've done a lot of reading over the last three days. Wow!

So, maybe we can develop a plan of action that will have good results right off the get go! However, from what I've learned from this Forum it is going to be a leaning in progress!

Scruff has about lost all of his spunk in just a week. He still has a good appetite though!......... sleeps a lot now!

Comment

Originally posted by amydunn19 View Post
                              You go through the full range of emotions - depression, anger, self pity, guilt, sadness - it is overwhelming. But, diabetes is not the end. Life will change but it always does and you will find that Scruff is still your buddy and still is the same dog. I look at diabetes probably a little bit differently after all the years I have been blessed with Maggie. I feel like as much as I hate this disease, it has made me a better person and caretaker than I would have been otherwise. It has made me appreciate the small ordinary things most dog owners give no thought to. I have developed a much deeper relationship with her than I have ever had with a dog.

I was a wreck for a long time - I just knew that she wasn't going to make it. I wouldn't buy big quantities of anything even food for several years, thinking surely death was just around the corner. Seven years later, we are still plugging along. You can't get too caught up in all the information and you can't sweat the mistakes you make too much. I have made many mistakes and miscalculations through the years but you just can't dwell on it. If you have been reading on the forum, you have probably noticed that regulation doesn't happen overnight and you have to have patience and lots of it. You can do it and before long, it will be just part of daily life.

Amy, as always, you bring those feelings to words. I absolutely agree.... the relationship you build with your pup through diabetes, even though you thought you had a strong one, becomes that much stronger. You make mistakes, but never are they live threatening. We are overwhelem, anxious (I lost 10 lbs when Abby was diagnosed), but somehow you find what works for you.

Thanks for those words.

Barb
                              Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Working...
                              X