Kumbi died uexpectedly June 8 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kumbi died uexpectedly June 8 2010

Hi! I'm new here - been here a few days, looking around. I stumbled on this forum - must have been while reading the Pet Diabetes Wikia area.

Kwali is my elder dog; recovering from a mild stroke; doing well; she's 13.5 years old. She and my diabetic dog, Kumbi, who will be 12 on 19 November, are the dearest of good buddies. Both are second-hand dogs, at least in a sense. Both were young when they came to me.

Kumbi is in glowing good health, two years after diagnosis with diabetes. I didn't get on the web or join lists for the first 8 months after diagnosis - my vet was so good, I didn't really need much help, but when finally I did join some lists, it was a lot of fun to be sharing with others. I tried a bunch of lists, and found one sort of passable one, and one that I really like.

A few days ago, I left the passable one, as events there had me feeling a bit shaky about communications there. The same day, later, I discovered this forum. I was so greatly taken by the immense competence here, as well as the friendly tone, and the wonderful organization, that I linked here from my web site.

Naturally, with a diabetic dog, we live on a pretty tight schedule; being old and retired for many years now, this was new to me; I had to re-learn how to do things on time! I use a calendar program to help me out! It talks to me until I check off, or tick off, the current task that needs doing. That's a blessing for me; I get quite distracted at times.

I'm really enjoying reading your posts here. Thanks for being here!

Fair warning - I write very, VERY long posts; will try to control myself! (But that's a reason I have a web site, where again, I am VERY long-winded!) So much so that I had to put in a "Fast-Track" set of links to get through part of it.

I added a narrator to my site when, on the passable list, I kept encountering attitudes about diabetes that cast doom-and-gloom. There's no need for that, and I think it's no good for newcomers to diabetes, who would do far better to come here. So, my cohort and narrator, Vekkie, has the job of making people laugh. I suppose that to enjoy that stuff, you really need a relaxed sense of humor!

Looking forward to coming here to share stories! The most refreshing thing about this place is - it's all about the dogs. Thank you, Natalie and Kathy!

Fri, 19 Sep 2008 21:51:11
    Last edited by CarolW; 09-20-2008, 06:51 PM. Reason: fix typo
    http://www.coherentdog.org/
    CarolW

Re: Kwali (ndd), Kumbi (dd) and me (Carol, ndh)

Hi Carol,

I will try to give you a run for your money in the long-winded post department!!

We would love to hear more about Kumbi and the insulin/diet you use.

There's a poll at the top of this forum where you can record it so others can see what system you are using to keep Kumbi healthy and happy. That's very useful for new members or for people thinking about changing diets/insulins/regimens.

Also there's a forum for your Kumbi's story of diagnosis, regimen, and living with diabetes. I found similar stories very helpful to me when Chris was first diagnosed - especially about a dog named Rena who lost her vision to diabetes-induced cataracts and still went hiking in the wilderness of Utah - so wanted a place for them here. You can always edit them to update or add a new post with new or additional information.

Nice to see you "officially here." I'm hoping to have some time this weekend to read more on your website, http://www.coherentdog.org/.

Welcome!

Natalie

Comment

Oh cool! I see you've already put his information in the poll thread. Great!!

Comment

Originally posted by k9diabetes View Post
        Oh cool! I see you've already put his information in the poll thread. Great!!
        Yeah; I started there. Speaking of long-winded! That's a great idea; surely helpful to all, to see all the different things going on.

Back to bed now!

Sat, 20 Sep 2008 01:20:42
        CarolW

Comment

Welcome Carol and Kumbi and family!

Will read at your site today too!
          Denise, Bogie (diabetic, cushings, now cancer), Molly (diabetic)
          Reba (Cushings) and the other 12 cats and 4 dogs.

Comment

Welcome Carol and Kumbi and Kwali, too! I am so glad that you have found this site...the folks here are about as knowledgeable as you can get, and they are here to help and support you. Ricky and I feel fortunate to be a part of this community...no negative energy here!

Love and hugs, Teresa and Ricky

Comment

Originally posted by Denise View Post
              Welcome Carol and Kumbi and family!

Will read at your site today too!
              Hope you enjoy reading. Warning - not only is it long-winded; it's also outrageously playful!

Wow, you have some animal family there! |'m sure you have your hands VERY full! Two is all I can manage. I gotta say, though, the BOND that develops during care of an animal is totally amazing.

And I'm really enjoying the straight-forwardness and friendliness of this place.

Sat, 20 Sep 2008 05:47:47
              CarolW

Comment

Originally posted by Ricksma View Post
                Welcome Carol and Kumbi and Kwali, too! I am so glad that you have found this site...the folks here are about as knowledgeable as you can get, and they are here to help and support you. Ricky and I feel fortunate to be a part of this community...no negative energy here!

Love and hugs, Teresa and Ricky
                Teresa - I was just reading about Ricky last night. It's good to begin to get to know some of you. I'm sure I'll get to know people-and-animals here, eventually! I am such a nut about communications, and getting to know you all.

You can tell - YES; you CAN tell - when the people who make a forum (that's really all of you, with Natalie and Kathy leading the way) - are dedicated truly to the animals. It shows. And it's what attracted me here.

I have a ton still to learn about diabetes in dogs, and I found a great place to learn more - here! And on the Pet Diabetes Wikia site. Excellent site. That's why Vekkie and I can be so outrageous - we don't have to be complete!

Also, I love having a place I can point to when people are needing more help - namely, here!

Thanks for the welcome!

Sat, 20 Sep 2008 06:04:46
                CarolW

Comment

Welcome Carol,Kwali and Kumbi!!!! What does their names mean? You have come to right place Kathy and Natalie are soo smart. They help me when I become psycho and stressed!!!And else here as well!!!
                  Marianne and canines: Jasmine( diabetic since 4/10) Puma,Harley,Sebastian,Sophie and cats: Yoda,Sabrina and Cleo. Also Baby Boy (my cockatiel) & Angel Pebbles

Comment

Welcome Carol, Kwali and Kumbi! You found the right place! No negative people around here! All of them have helped me getting through my first month and 1/2. I 'm still learning, but this forum has made sure that I am now a lot better informed.

I am curious too what your dogs names mean!

Best wishes,
                    Marion

Comment

Originally posted by Cara's Mom View Post
                      Welcome Carol, Kwali and Kumbi! You found the right place! No negative people around here! All of them have helped me getting through my first month and 1/2. I 'm still learning, but this forum has made sure that I am now a lot better informed.

I am curious too what your dogs names mean!

Best wishes,
                      Oh, Marion - I recognize you and Cara. I read some of your story. Looks to me as though you're doing well!

I forgot to respond to the "negative" remark in a previous welcome, but will do so now, along with yours. I think maybe negativity is a cultural habit, or often, it is. A kind of moaning and groaning. Well, it's understandable if people do that sometimes, but we need not DWELL on it! Laughing is better. Even though laughter and crying are sometimes close to the same thing; haha!

Thanks for the welcome and the comments! I'm going to try to read everything here! It will take me a while. And yes, Natalie and Kathy are EXTREMELY well-informed, and we can all benefit. They are so well-informed because they WORK at it, and pay attention - AND they are thinking about the dogs, not about themselves. It's so obvious it hits you in the face! Oh, happy day when I found my way here!

Oops - almost forgot, about the names. I made them up. I try stuff out, chant it, sing it, see what is easy to call out, I hope, distinctive from what else I might call out - so the dogs know I'm talking to or about them, when I do! I had to come up with "Kwali" fast, because I had one hour's notice that she would be my dog, and I was determined to change her name, which had been "Happy," but she was not a happy dog; not at all. She was in poor condition. I had a bottle of Koala drink on my desk; didn't want to call her Bear, but somehow, Kwali seemed okay, so that was it. Kumbi was just the result of singing and chanting. Also, a pun on Kumbaya, my Lord, Kumbaya.

Sat, 20 Sep 2008 09:31:32
                      Last edited by CarolW; 09-20-2008, 07:14 PM. Reason: fix type
                      CarolW

Comment

Just wanted to say hello and also, I checked out the site --

thanks -- it's always nice to have a place to go to get information!

Debbie and Apollo
                        Apollo -13.2 lbs. Since 12/24/06. Vetsulin - 7.0 units 2x's a day. Royal Canin-Digestive Low Fat LF dry & canned. Chlorestoral meds once a day. Fish Oil 2x's a day. Potassium Citrate Granules for bladder stones.

Comment

Carol and "Company",

Welcome! So nice to see that you've started Kumbi's thread! I think we're on the way to some great discusssions, as it looks like none of us are short on words. I remember Natalie once saying to me when we were on the other board, "When did you ever write a short post?"

Well, there's lots of room to spare here for those of us who are of that nature, so feel free to gab away!

Again, great to see you're part of the bunch!

Kathy

Comment

Originally posted by Debbie & Apollo View Post
                            Just wanted to say hello and also, I checked out the site --

thanks -- it's always nice to have a place to go to get information!

Debbie and Apollo
                            Hi Debbie and Apollo,

Of course I'm partial to Apollo, being in some ways quite similar to my dogs!

About information, I think whatever actual information you find on my site about diabetes, you will also find here and on the Pet Diabetes Wikia site - sometimes more concisely stated than on my site (hahaha!) My site might be helpful for some aspects of behavior, or for some pictures, at least, to entertain.

And I hope it could cheer up people who are REALLY needing a laugh right now! Or an Anodyne. (I just changed the Canodyne picture, because DogDaddy George came home with one that's perfect to show the area above the Syringe Forest. I'll be adding to that part, too.)

To find it, look for Canodyne on the right side of any main page in the main area.

So, when you want the information fast, come here!

Kwali and Kumbi send special greetings to their cousin, Apollo, and I, to you!

Sat, 20 Sep 2008 18:16:47
                            CarolW

Comment

Originally posted by rhodesian46 View Post
                              Welcome Carol,Kwali and Kumbi!!!! What does their names mean? You have come to right place Kathy and Natalie are soo smart. They help me when I become psycho and stressed!!!And else here as well!!!
                              Thanks so much for your welcome! I'm still finding my way around here! I haven't read about Pebbles yet, but I will do that soon! I love reading about all the different dogs. I think we learn a ton, reading about each one.

About Natalie and Kathy - I did remark that it's obvious they really work at what they do - all experts do that. I think it's in their natures. They can't stop! A friend of mine wrote a wonderful article on expertise, when international dog-trainer Turid Rugaas was a guest on a Yahoo Group called DogRead. Natalie and Kathy look like experts to me, by my friend's definition. That article is in another outrageous piece of silliness on my web site, here:

http://www.coherentdog.org/vek/vkkdebunk.php

The PAGE is silly, but the ARTICLE is not!

I hold such deep respect for people who work this way - and communicate this way. It is THESE people who are truly helpful.

Sat, 20 Sep 2008 19:24:22
                              CarolW

Comment

Working...
                              X