No announcement yet.

Silkie's Ultrasound results....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Silkies Diabetes Story Please Read !!!

Silkiegal,

I am new to this as well. There are a lot of highs and lows. But that little dog that was there the day before the world cracked is still there.

Make sure that you ask your vet about dewormers and any prescriptions. Everything in my world was going well until a dewormer (I am making an assumption) rocked everything.

The good news is, you have support. So far, every piece of advice that I have been given on this forum has matched the opinions of 2 different vets from 2 different vet schools.

It is good to take notes or print your threads. At 3:30 am, when you are in a panic, you will need them.

The blood sugar spikes and lows and scary (in your case, keytones). But right now, looking at Maggie May (10 yr 6 mo), she is 11 months old, chewing up my kitchen floor, and that's what makes it worth it-scary, but worth it. Good luck!
    Amy & Maggie May Miller, diagnosed 10-23-2010. Novolin, 6 units, 2x daily (increased to 7 units on 7-14-2011 because of consistent spikes). Currently eating Blue Buffalo Longevity for Mature Dogs: can & dry.

Comment

My vet said no rush on the curve, just do it in next 2 weeks.Dont think she would up his units if it was dangerous. We tested him at home this AM with the meter and it read: 263, so its around 300 since our meter is a bit off.

How often do test at home? We just did it once today. Any particular times?

Oh, and by the way NO ketones in his urine

Comment

I test twice a day every day before insulin shot. Sometimes if Ladybug is acting a little strange, I may test during mid afternoon. If you do your own curve, you start with the AM reading before insulin and continue every two hours throughout the day for a minimum of 12-14 hours.

Comment

We have been "vet shopping" since a week after Ruffles was diagnosed. Think we may have found the right one.

He recommended BG testing twice a day, b4 meals, to determine the insulin amount needed. Most owners, he admitted, do not test at all at home. They just give the same dose based on curves done by the vet. Ladybug, I agree about adding one in the middle of the day if something was going on we wanted/needed to know about.
          Ruffles May 1997~~12/6/2010~~She was "a heartbeat at our feet"~~
          Izzy--BD unknown;~~ RIP 7/13/2013 ~~; she was a sweet Yorkie spirit and we miss her
          Bella--Yorkie rescue; BD 9/2013 +/-; RIP 5/2015
          Ruby--senior Yorkiepoo foster

Comment

Originally posted by MaryLea View Post
            We have been "vet shopping" since a week after Ruffles was diagnosed. Think we may have found the right one.

He recommended BG testing twice a day, b4 meals, to determine the insulin amount needed. Most owners, he admitted, do not test at all at home. They just give the same dose based on curves done by the vet. Ladybug, I agree about adding one in the middle of the day if something was going on we wanted/needed to know about.
            Ok, I see BEFORE meals is best time to test. Where do you test Ruffles??
            Silkie is freaking out when we test. We use a little lancer that the vet gave us, on the callus of elbow. Any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by Ladybug View Post
              I test twice a day every day before insulin shot. Sometimes if Ladybug is acting a little strange, I may test during mid afternoon. If you do your own curve, you start with the AM reading before insulin and continue every two hours throughout the day for a minimum of 12-14 hours.
              Ok, got it! Thanks. But there is no way we would be able to test him more than once a day at this point. Silkie is acting
              like we are performing surgery on him. He freaks out. Struggles, cries, tries to get away. I just cant put him through that!!
              What are we not doing right?
              Last edited by silkiegal; 12-02-2010, 06:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by silkiegal View Post
                Ok, got it! Thanks. But there is no way we would be able to test him more than once a day at this point. Silkie is acting
                like we are performing surgery on him. He freaks out. Struggles, cries, tries to get away. I just cant put him through that!!
                What are we not doing right?

I'll jump in here but please bear in mind that I am relatively new with Fergy's diabetic care, but will offer a suggestion.

Fergy had two favorite "treats" before he was d/xd. One of those was the "Lean Treats" which we originally picked up at the Vet's office. He loves 'em. T'other "Pupperoni" was full of sugar so he don't get them no mo.

When we initially started his diabetes treatment we had the same problems you're now experiencing. Then I tried bribing him by telling him he would get a treat if he cooperated.The injections were not much of a problem but the BG testing was the major item.

At first I would say something like "let's try the shot and you'll get your treat" or "let's try the blood test and you'll get your treat", even if I failed to get a real blood test, he would still get the treat. After a week or so, it became a pretty smooth operation.

Now, I say either "shot and a treat" or "bloodtest and a treat" and he's right in front of me with the little stub awaggin' and ready to go.

Hope this helps you.

Cheers

Comment

I shaved a small patch of skin right above Bob's tail. It's the only place I've been able to get a sample every time, and the only place he's willing to let me poke him without resistance. I just rub a dab of neosporin on the patch when I'm done, to promote healing and keep the skin supple. He knows I'm done when he gets the neosporin massage, and he even seems to like that.

It looks kind of funny, and the vet laughed about it, but I don't care. I call it his "soul patch", and he's still the cutest thing in the world to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry View Post
                    I'll jump in here but please bear in mind that I am relatively new with Fergy's diabetic care, but will offer a suggestion.

Fergy had two favorite "treats" before he was d/xd. One of those was the "Lean Treats" which we originally picked up at the Vet's office. He loves 'em. T'other "Pupperoni" was full of sugar so he don't get them no mo.

When we initially started his diabetes treatment we had the same problems you're now experiencing. Then I tried bribing him by telling him he would get a treat if he cooperated.The injections were not much of a problem but the BG testing was the major item.

At first I would say something like "let's try the shot and you'll get your treat" or "let's try the blood test and you'll get your treat", even if I failed to get a real blood test, he would still get the treat. After a week or so, it became a pretty smooth operation.

Now, I say either "shot and a treat" or "bloodtest and a treat" and he's right in front of me with the little stub awaggin' and ready to go.

Hope this helps you.

Cheers
                    Thanks, that is great advice. we give him his favorite treat (lean ground beef) and sing his praises after, but it is still a fight. Thanks

Comment

I'm still new at this, too. The vet visit we had last Wednesday helped me alot. Ruffles had begun to snap at me, etc. which she never used to do b4 d/dx. He said to always approach her from behind her ears, near her shoulders. He demonstrated by putting one hand on her head (which is a good thing to keep her from raising it to snap at you), lifting her lip and with ballpoint pen in his other hand, came towards her mouth from the side. She snapped at the pen!

She had not reacted to anything the vet tech or DVM did until that moment(!), and after I thought about it, they always came from one side or the other, near her shoulders moving towards her head.

So I reverted to what worked for me: sit her beside me on the couch; give a small treat; place my arm across her body; approach from her ear towards her mouth (where she could not see what I was doing); lifting her lip; doing "the deed"; praising her; giving another small treat.

She knows when she hears the glucometer "beep" that another treat is coming shortly: she starts sniffing for it. Works like a charm!
                      Ruffles May 1997~~12/6/2010~~She was "a heartbeat at our feet"~~
                      Izzy--BD unknown;~~ RIP 7/13/2013 ~~; she was a sweet Yorkie spirit and we miss her
                      Bella--Yorkie rescue; BD 9/2013 +/-; RIP 5/2015
                      Ruby--senior Yorkiepoo foster

Comment

I just saw the pictures in your album. Too cute!!

How's it going?

Natalie

Comment

Happy Holidays! Silkie has his first curve today. He is still not regulated. His highs were: 570 and lows: 423. Still WAY too high!!! vet said to increase from 3 units to 4 units, and to come in for a single glucose test in 7-14 days. Then, if he's still not down, she will increase to 5 units.
                          He lost a lot of weight too, and still pees a lot. Silk was just diagnosed about a month ago.

Is it possible that we are not getting the insulin in him???
                          How can we make sure?
                          How to know if it doesnt go in him?
                          His fur is very short, and it never feels wet after the shot.

He wiggles and moves and freaks out though....

Any ideas???

Comment

You would know if you didn't get the insulin in him - his hair would be wet.

Have patience and take it one step at a time.

Are you home testing?
                            Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Yeah, that is true..common sense I guess! My husband is so surprised that his levels are still so high, so he's paranoid.
                              We try to home test, but he just freaks out, squirms, cries, it is almost impossible, at this point. We will try again, but he's a nightmare with us!he wont hold still..
                              Oh, I am so sad over Ruffles! My throat literally closed when I heard he passed away. It makes me so worried now when I hear these stories. everytime I come to this forum, another dog passes. It is a hard reality. I wonder, are dog's with diabetes more prone to renal failure?
                              I must ask my therapist for more meds at this point! This is so stressful. I wish it was me instead of silkie.

Comment

Hi - I had so much trouble getting insulin into my Pip when he was first diagnosed that I finally had to muzzle him.

Other than the fur being wet or the smell of insulin on the fur (and it has a decidedly medicine smell) when I felt resistance to the plunge of the needle, I finally figured out that I was getting the insulin into muscle.

I was told that getting insulin into the muscle rather than just under the skin, that the bg's go down slower.

Perhaps someone can verify that?

I did finally get the hang of it and you will too. Although Pip has been a diabetic for 3 years, I still missed part of a shot last week due to his sudden movements.

Comment

Working...
                                X