Paxton's Journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Paxton's Journey

Have your vet do a proper test for high triglycerides. The dog needs blood taken first thing in the morning before he eats; fasting bloodwork.

Fasting bloodwork is what any doctor wants from a diabetic. Food skews everything.

I've used my dog's ear exclusively. I tried on either side of the base of the tail, had a bit of success. Shave a spot, and use a thicker lancet. It can work there.
    Last edited by Raysaint; 06-28-2018, 05:59 AM.
    Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

A lot of us here test our dogs on the inside of the upper lip. There’s plenty of blood available there and it doesn’t hurt them at all.

Something you might want to try first is to get him used to your touching his mouth with your fingers and then try rolling up his lip. After getting him used to fiddling with his lip, then you can try using the lancing device.
      Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
      Diabetes: Aug 2013
      Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
      Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

Thanks Mike. I've been looking there - he doesn't like it yet. He also has some black spots inside his mouth (the have always been there), so I might not be able to see the blood. I'll keep trying.

Comment

Working...
        X