View Single Post
Old 05-12-2009, 06:03 PM

Default Re: Barney - 8yo Jack Russell Terrier

Kelley, I'm the Debbie that Allison mentioned. Barney is, indeed, Pit Cushing's + Atypical which is what my Harley is. Some of Barney's values are higher than Harley's were, while Harley was higher on others. Harley is being treated with Lysodren + melatonin +purified lignans. Lysodren is used to control the cortisol but it will also control most all of the other associated hormones because of the common biochemical pathways that these hormones share. The problem is estradiol. Estradiol has non-adrenal sources of production such as fat cells besides other tissue. Lyso will control the adrenal production of estradiol, but does not affect the non-adrenal sources of estradiol. This is where the use of melatonin + lignans comes into play, so that the non-adrenal production is controlled. I totally agree with Allison that Trilostane usually isn't an appropriate choice of treatment for a pup with these kind of values on a full adrenal panel. It would be very helpful to get a copy of the treatment recommendations.

Has Barney had an abdominal ultrasound? If not, I would strongly recommend that as your next step. Not only will you be able to get a look at the adrenal glands, but also all of Barney's internal organs, so you can get a better idea of his overall health. Based on my experience during the diagnostic phase for Harley, I disagree with the need for an LDDS at this point for Barney. All Harley had done to diagnose was the full panel & an abdominal US. In fact, I even asked the IMS that I was using at that point if she needed to do the LDDS, she said nope, all she needed was the US & the full adrenal panel results.

Hope this helps.
Debbie